1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I'm pretty sure Ivar's image would not get you any points in this thread. Yours seems good to me, but it is too monochromatic in my opinion -- everything comes across as different shades of grey.

2. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

certainly. :)

but i do think there is a point where the shark is jumped and one is no longer criticizing to provide constructive feedback, rather it becomes just for the sake of criticizing. ymmv. and i have said this like eighty billion times, so i probably sound like a real bitch here.

3. arnathor

arnathor Senior member

Do These Count as Soporific/Good Taste or are they old man ties?
    Left is Made In Italy Yves Saint Laurent
    Right is Made In USA Brooks Brother's Maker
    [​IMG]

4. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

The one on the right's not bad. Not my favorite by a long shot, but not bad. Not a fan of the one on the left.

2 people like this.
  5. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

They are I-buy-my-ties-at-Macy's ties

[​IMG]

6. arnathor

arnathor Senior member

Well. I'll flip em in this case. It's hard to find untipped grenadines in Canada.

7. in stitches

sam hober delivers to canada. :)

2 people like this.
  8. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

As does Vanda and Kent Wang

9. arnathor

arnathor Senior member

Points taken. Anyway my question is off topic back to the thread

10. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

If your new to good quality ties, then un-tipped ones probably aren't the best idea and especially grenadines. They are much more fragile than self or silk tipped ties and grenadines especially tend to stretch a lot when un-tipped. I still do un-tipped ties but no un-tipped grenadines due to the above mentioned issues.

11. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

False dichotomy.

12. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

no

1 person likes this.
  13. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Continuing experiment in pseudo SF groupthink. Was a cloudy day so picture quality suffered a bit. Thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  14. arnathor

arnathor Senior member

Thanks for the feedback gents, saw em for $4.99 a piece at Talize, figured what the heck.

15. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

CM - antiquing on the shoes is a little intense for my taste. I probably would have just chosen diff shoes entirely. But other stuff is good IMHO. PS maybe a bit matchy w shirt but it's not bothering me.

2 people like this.
  16. Caustic Man

Thanks for your thoughts. On the shoes, yeah, I didn't know what I was doing so I went overboard. I haven't decided whether to strip them and start over, or to just wait til it naturally fades. Either way I don't mind wearing them as is. Would just prefer it different.

17. in stitches

both excellent suggestions!
    --

CM - i cant tell from the pic, is the tie navy or black?

18. Caustic Man

Black

19. in stitches

20. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Pink shirt, green tie is great -- but that pink and that green would not be -- and I'm either much too hip or much too square for a green shirt with a pink tie. I don't know if I buy your gendered explanation of color theory, but then again, I could probably talk about gender or color for hours, so I'll skip it. I don't buy anything that tries to explain aesthetics through genetics, though I wouldn't disagree with your point there if it were in cultural terms.

I wear my camel jacket with dark green or lake blue moleskins, rust cords, or (gasp) jeans in blue or white. Again, I think it takes a lighter shade of navy. My blue molies are a touch light, but a pair of navy cords I had was a touch dark. Something in the middle is needed. With the combination you're describing, what color shoes would one wear?

CM -- the shoes are kind of fly, but the rest of the rig isn't ("fly" isn't a good or bad thing, and could be the opposite of "good taste."). This is absolutely not "good taste" advice, but if the trousers were darker, the shirt were a really loud Jermyn St kind of thing, and the square were white, the combination would work great with the boots. Also, if your jacket is going to be on the short side, it needs to have a more dramatic cut. A sack this short reads as Thom Browne material (or at least Black Fleece). Even if it had a sort of Neapolitan cut, it would need a smidge more length to look truly flattering. I'm of the opinion that a jacket should, at the shortest, come close to reaching the bottom of the fork of one's trousers.

I also think the dramatic contrast with the light gray trousers would be better served with more contrast up top.