1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Well-Known Member

2. chogall

chogall Well-Known Member

NSM?

Was that chest drape from cutting or from your weight loss?

3. UrbanComposition

Yep, NSM. The drape is "built in."

This particular suit has a bit of "rollino" as opposed to "spalla camicia". Not sure which I prefer; but generally I lean more toward the latter. Both are executed well.

4. Stugotes

Stugotes Well-Known Member

I really like that rollino shoulder style.

5. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Well-Known Member

Not sure I know what you mean by "rollino" The wonders of a quick google search. While I like the visual of the camicia, I do not have the shoulders for it - but I have great shoulders for a well executed insulada insellata.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  6. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

Jack fit isn't quite right yet, but this is in good taste.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. GusW

GusW Well-Known Member

Urban, I'd like to see a non-graph tie with that POW suit fabric. Too many x's going on. A solid knit or perhaps a paisley?

8. UrbanComposition

I thought about that initially, and tried about ten different ties, but I really liked how the white in the tie played off the shirt and dots in the hanky. Plus the scale is so different that it seemed kinda neat. But pretty much anything can go with this suit, so I'll definitely try a solid knit next time.

Surprisingly, practically every paisley tie looked too busy with the scale of this plaid.

9. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

Are you asking or telling? The jacket buttons don't work for me.

1 person likes this.
  10. mktitsworth

Brass buttons are the classic choice for a navy blazer, however, if I'm not mistaken, a navy blazer is usually hopsack and that photo does not look like hopsack. It is also egregiously short.

2 people like this.
  11. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

Because they're gold? I can't agree with you on that.

It does seem way short, and the buttons are kind of far apart. Of course the combination isn't in bad taste. It borders on being a little too safe. With a combination like that, all eyes are on the silhouette, and if the silhouette isn't spot on, then what's going on? Of course, the last rig I posted in this thread was very similar, but I only dressed as severely as I did because I was quite confident in the shape of the clothes.

12. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

Shouldn't be posted in the good taste thread, the looks are pretty jarring. I'm sure it can be arranged correctly but...

Urban composition looks ace, still the best dressed CIA operative around.

13. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Well-Known Member

Yes. Don't get me wrong, it is not bad taste, just not my taste I suppose...referring to only the buttons.

14. mktitsworth

It's not so much that the buttons are far apart as the button stance is too high. Looking at it again the bottom button is about at the navel where as the navel should at least fall between them, probably closer to the top than the bottom.

15. Balfour

Balfour Well-Known Member

This combination can be in exceptionally good taste. I have to disagree on the 'too safe' suggestion (bold), precisely for the reason you give in the underlined text. When you go simple and austere, success rests on fit (in that defects will be noticeable) and the subtle details (to avoid blandness). The last Friday challenge also illustrates that.

For example: this guy versus Cary Grant:

16. Claghorn

Claghorn Well-Known Member

I'm going to say that that isn't working for Grant. Sacrilege, I know. I think it's the fit of the jacket (specifically shoulders, but it could be the angle/I'm a crazy). The jacket tie combination looks better on him though. Other dude's tie is too close to his jacket in terms of sheen.

17. Balfour

Balfour Well-Known Member

18. YRR92

YRR92 Well-Known Member

I don't think its necessarily too safe in-and-of itself, but I do think it's possible for something to be too safe for this thread. [​IMG] has mentioned something to that effect, and I tend to agree with him.

What I'm wearing today might not be in perfect taste (Manton, for one, would probably advise never owning either this shirt or this tie), I do think it bears on the discussion of jacket/trouser contrast in this thread.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  19. Stugotes

Stugotes Well-Known Member

White shirt with a white silk PS and navy blazer with navy knit tie? I think this is not in Good Taste at all.

1 person likes this.
  20. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

I have a nearly identical NSM coat with the spalla camica shoulder, and I think I like yours better.