1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

CM and Stitchy, ain't nuthin' wrong with either of those IMO. CM, I like those full-straps.

1 person likes this.
  2. Louys

Louys Senior member

Sugarbutch, I really like this fit, mostly the brown knit. You don't see to many brown suits or jackets unless they're tweed of some sort. But lately I'm becoming convinced that a rich brown shade of knit tie (darker than the suit) is almost always right if not best with a light brown or tan suit against a light blue shirt. It creates a really similar blend of tones to the hallowed combo of a grey suit, white shirt, and black knit tie, but looks better when the sun is out.

1 person likes this.
  3. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

It looks good, except for the overly high collar.

4. Victor Elfo

Victor Elfo Senior member

Wrong diagnosis. The shirt's collar is good, the coat's collar, on the other hand, looks too low, could be the stance though, those selfies are a bitch to judge fit.
    The top half, IMO, is good. The bottom half, though, is not good to me. The creaseless trousers makes me noxious and the loafers with a blazer is just too USA to me.

5. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

I'll take that as a compliment.

1 person likes this.
  6. mensimageconsultant

The jacket collar might be too low. The shirt collar is too high - that isn't a short neck, and yet the collar covers more than half of it.

7. Victor Elfo

A long neck is better served with tall collars (both the shirt's and the coat's). The issue here seems to be in the coat's, although, again, those photographs may be tricking us.

8. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

[​IMG]

Nothing wrong with loafers + blazer.

9. Victor Elfo

Agreed, I just dislike what they represent to me.

Edit: funny, though, I've no problem with a navy blue odd coat and loafers, but, I do dislike wearing long socks with loafers, seems oxymoronic to me. Quirks.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

A dank, shugz.

1 person likes this.
  11. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

What do you all think of a black cotton knit tie? I have a brown cotton one, and I can pick up a black one cheaply, but not so cheaply that it's a total no-brainer. Would the dull, soft texture be too countryish for even flannel or checked worsted suits, or even a navy blazer? I have some tweeds it would be great with.

EDIT: SB, that last rig (with the brown knit) is really incredible. I wouldn't have expected a glen plaid square to work at all, much less that well.

CM, is that tie a knit or a grenadine? I might have reached for a repp stripe there, but that would push it over into apple pie territory.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  12. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Silk knit. Wasn't in a repp mood that day. [​IMG]

13. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Senior member

As you should

1 person likes this.
  14. in stitches

intellectually i agree, but i have a hard tie wearing loafers with a tie, for the most part.

15. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

The jacket collar looks fine. It hugs his neck well and isn't especially low.

16. mensimageconsultant

Everything looks okay in the seated picture, but somehow the shirt collar looks higher in the other image. In general, high collars are more likely to succeed if shoulders aren't sloping. Also and perhaps spuriously, high collars are more formal and therefore contradictory if button-down.

17. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Wide lens + short distance = distortion. If CM is holding that camera himself, chances are that's what's going on.

Even then, I don't see high collars as formal, necessarily. I see them as a somewhat luxurious touch (I guess I associate them with Italian shirts), but one which doesn't have a direct bearing on formality. I also think a high collar can work with sloping shoulders, as long as the jacket collar is proportionally high.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  18. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Anyone have any of the 34's in tropical or 4 season? Bastards took my pants.

19. in stitches

20. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

Dig that tie, Monsieur Stitché.