• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

color of SC better represented in bottom pic. shirt is light blue.

Excellent

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
That is pretty good.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To me it is a suit tie, but to be fair, you would not look out of place in Italy wearing it with an odd jacket, and Spain is sort of like Italy, so ...
Interesting; do you think a madder tie with this same pattern would still be a suit tie? (for you, not taking regional aspects into play).

I ask because sometimes I wonder what the true differences between a madder and a "regular twill" are - my two madder ties (Cappelli and Drake's) have a different feel to them, not only because of the lining - the twills are different.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I pretty much never wear print ties with odd jackets. For me, those always take knits, repps, or (seasonally) wool or linen.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, just wanted to know your point of view. So if I understand correctly, today's tie is not inherently wrong, just like madders aren't (in theory) - you just don't like them. And of course it's always safer to wear a knit, repp, or wool, because a neat print might just be too formal, depending the texture/pattern, and it has to be done carefully. Did I get that right?

Thanks
smile.gif

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Yes. And, as I noted, you will see that kind of tie worn with odd jackets by well dressed men in Italy all the time. Cappelli himself included.

A Canuker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I pretty much never wear print ties with odd jackets. For me, those always take knits, repps, or (seasonally) wool or linen.

I recall Manton saying the same thing in this or another thread to which I've taken to heart. I can't say that it was a earth shattering revelation but it made me review my collection of ties and my approach to odd jackets. Prior I never felt it worked as it should have but this simple change seems to have been the crucial difference that was needed.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I recall Manton saying the same thing in this or another thread to which I've taken to heart. I can't say that it was a earth shattering revelation but it made me review my collection of ties and my approach to odd jackets. Prior I never felt it worked as it should have but this simple change seems to have been the crucial difference that was needed.

Yes, I recall that as well, in this thread. As a matter of fact, on this very page, a few posts up.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A Canuker, read above. There's nothing wrong with prints + odd jackets, but they just have to be the right kind of print (madder and challis are prints). And other than that there's some leeway depending on where you live and what you do.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
everyone please try to remember the distinction between an authority and a know-it-all

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought it was the authority who said they weren't wrong per-se
confused.gif

Now I am confused.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
mostly I don't share ed's concern for lemming-like group-think because I think so many of you would look better if you wore what we told you to wear. However, when people contemplate not wearing perfectly fine combos just because I, personally, don't, then I start to wonder if it's all gone too far.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads