1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

SomethingsFishy:

It's not bad. What are the trousers made out of? Some kind of tropical wool? (The ones you're wearing, not the khakis in the picture with the shoes).

I do really like the combination, but I think the shirt is unseasonable. Obviously, if you have fall/winter weather, then fall/winter clothing is great no matter what the calendar says -- UrbanComposition showed that the other day. The thing is, a tatersall like that reads, to me, as a fall-winter shirt. I packed away my tatersalls until next fall -- I gave one a shot, but it just didn't feel right.

A navy doeskin or donegal jacket would be perfect with the same combination. I still wear my hopsack blazer in winter, though it's a bit of a compromise. With a linen jacket, though, I think you need a more summery shirt and tie combination.

2. SomethingsFishy

SomethingsFishy Senior member

Thanks for the feedback guys! The jacket is actually a rougher texture, kind of the classic weave you think of with linen. But I agree, there are some contradictions in the look that, now that they've been pointed out to me, need addressing. As for the trousers, yes, they're a very nice summerweight wool.

And while I appreciate the comment of "not bad for a first attempt", I must confess this isn't my first attempt. My first attempt was as an epic n00b and was probably 100 pages back. There may have been a polyester tie and odd pinstriped jacket involved [​IMG]

3. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I think it's fine but as we've been talking about above, its a WAYWRN fit, not at the level of the good taste thread fit.

3 people like this.
  4. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Well then look on the bright side, that's quite the improvement!

5. SomethingsFishy

SomethingsFishy Senior member

Yeah, I'm just glad I got some things right this go around - I knew the kinds of standards I would be held to coming in. I wanted that, I want to get better, not be told everything is peachy. I still lack the experience and budget (yes, budget, 16.5 inch shoulders) to be able to get it all right. But that certainly can't stop me from fixing the little things, like a smaller tie knot!

On that subject, I have some issues with my knots- I usually do either a half windsor or four-in-hand. Whenever I can get a good dimple, I end up with either a giant knot like the one in my pic, or a tiny little thing that looks like a malformed rhombus, rather than the nice ones you guys pull off here. I have the same issue for either knot, and most every tie I have. Any tips to get ones like you guys?

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Could be the tie playing some part in that. A half windsor will always give you a bigger knot of course. But cheaper ties can have crappy linings that just don't knot well no matter what you do. An older Thomas Pink shouldn't really do that though, but I've never handled one in person.

Like anything in life, practice makes perfect!

7. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think I've mentioned my appreciation of Canta's willingness to dish out criticism. I remember the first time I was the object of his critical eye; he led with something along the lines of "I am not trying to be an asshole, but you've purchased stuff from me before, so I care; that outfit is terrible."

8. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

There's nothing wrong with tough love as long as it's not deliberately being an asshole. A lot of people need it. I know I did.

2 people like this.
  9. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

yup yup. same here. i was given a lot of upfront no beating around the bush criticism and im the better for it.

10. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

Latergram from this weekend.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13 people like this.
  11. comrade

comrade Senior member

So, UC where did you get such beautiful suits?
    I doubt they're being sold in San Francisco.
    Or at least I can't find such styles.

12. comrade

comrade Senior member

So, UC where did you get such beautiful suits?
    I doubt they're being sold in San Francisco.
    Or at least I can't find such styles.

13. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

First tie is gorgeous, UC. Guess it's a madder, who makes it?

My love for prints is growing everyday and I'm about to screw the rules and wear them with everything (madder with tweed and cashmere, twill with anything else...)

I'm wondering if there's a summer equivalent to madder in terms of formality?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2013
  14. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Do you consider madder formal or informal? It's a "country" tie. I'd call it informal, although often worn with tweed suits as UC does above. Madras might be a summer equivalent.

15. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

I consider it quite informal, too. But I've basically stopped wearing suits and always wear odd jackets now, so I was wondering if there was some sort of print that would be considered as informal as madder, but for summer. I just love prints so much, lol. I'd like to keep wearing my twill neats, but they don't always work with an odd jacket, really. Drake's has some madders in lively colors that would be nice for summer, but they are all 7 cm...

16. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

both are nice, but that second combo is supreme imo.

17. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

Seriously, that second combo is killer

18. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yes, it's very nice, UC.

19. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Definitely. The first one is quite nice, but that second one is fantastic. Well done.

20. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

Thanks gaiz.

In the past year I've come to appreciate madder ties, especially in paisley. Possibly due to the fact that there are so many ugly paisley ties, that when a nice one appears, it's like finding a unicorn.

To wit: I own at least 20 paisley ties, and wear only 4 or 5. The rest are dedicated to George Costanza.

Personally I don't mind madder neat ties with more formal suits, but strictly speaking, twill printed usually looks better. This particular one, from St. Andrews, is actually a twill madder but with a very "wet" feel to it.

I have 4 Macclesfield ties, all of which I wear with more casual suits, except the silk "wedding" tie.

For the past year I've only worn solid ties when nothing else looks good, when I'm lazy, or in a rush. I don't dislike them, and appreciate simplicity, but since I don't dress in coat & tie every day, I often try for something a little more interesting.

1 person likes this.