1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Seriously. My eyes hurt.

2. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Not in my life [​IMG]

3. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

meant to post this earlier this week. was well received in WAYWRN, wondering if it goes so far as to be tasteful. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. pazzion

pazzion Senior member

Haha, yeah, no. Kids, do not try that at home.

Though I have a question: what's your guys' take on a tie that is in good taste together with a gingham shirt? I only have one gingham shirt, but I find it impossible to pair it with anything but any of my solid grenadines. My problem is in part the shirt's loudness, and in part the fact that the gingham checks looks, at least to my eyes, both big and small in scale which confuses my eyes and makes any tie with a pattern clash with the shirt.

Any ideas?

5. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

6. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

If the gingham pattern is small enough, a wide striped tie might also work. But in that case, make sure your jacket is solid.

7. JPHardy

JPHardy Senior member

I don't want to cloud up Manton's thread, so please feel free to delete. I'm a fan of loafers and not only for summer. For me they also make great travel shoes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. pazzion

pazzion Senior member

Awesome. Thanks!

9. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

The larger the gingham, the more casual. The more casual the shirt, the more forced a tie will look. To combat this I can only see wearing a large scale gingham with a knit tie of a distinct contrast (think red gingham, navy tie). However, even then, I can only see that being pulled off with a loose knot and unbuttoned top button with chinos or jeans; no jacket.

Personally I would avoid wearing anything but a micro-gingham with a tie, as I can't readily think of a tasteful combination with a large check outside of a distinctly casual fit. And even with micro-gingham, I would wear a solid dark tie with an interesting surface texture (to add some visual interest).

In the shade of royal blue pictured, I would never wear a tie.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  10. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Stitchy - I think that's one of the very few instances where a maccasfield print doesn't work. The pattern on the SC is too busy for another small pattern. I love that tie (hate the SC, but you don't care) but I think you're much better off with a solid (ideally) or else a very large stripe.

1 person likes this.
  11. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

cool beans. thanks for the feedback, C. i dont have any large striped ties. i have done solid tie with this before though. i think ill go between the solids and this tie. i hear what you mean, but i think it does work, as the print in the tie is not super small and busy, certainly from any distance where the SC fades to a solid light gray. either way, you do make a valid point. its a tough SC to match stuff with, but ill keep it for now. : )

12. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

On the topic of gingham plus tie, a blast from the past:

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  13. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

I've seen large-scale ginghams that could work in a sort of Jermyn St. way. There's one at work in black and white with a cutaway collar. Could be cool with a solid or birdseye suit and a solid tie, though probably not "Good Taste." A coworker of mine wore one with jeans, drivers, and a black woven neat -- sub in a burg or purple knit, and I'd have happily worn it.

14. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

2 people like this.
  15. pazzion

pazzion Senior member

Ok, good points. Though I am not quite sure if I share bourbonbasted's strict view on how to incorporate a tie with a gingham shirt. I think that Kaplan's picture shows a good fit (I didn't know how to spoiler the pic so I just deleted it in the quote).

But I do see you point, and I shall definitely try using one of my two new silk knits with the gingham shirt that I have. I have always worn it together with chinos or jeans before (though I tried it with jeans and no jacket together with a navy grenadine and with the shirt sleeves rolled up. It worked so-so if you take regard to the fact that my girlfriend wondered if I had been hired as an on-site tech support, and wondered where I kept my leather vest).

Last edited: Jul 14, 2013
  16. pazzion

pazzion Senior member

Here come's the picture that I promised RDiaz. It is taken in the middle of my first try to achieve a mirror shine. The toe and heel was done, but I just finished up the rest of the shoe with moderate shine so it didn't have the big contrast change that it has in the picture.

[​IMG]

17. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Looking good. I never manage to get such a nice shine on my shoes, must be doing something wrong. But still unsure about that last, looks a bit... uninteresting, don't know how to put it. Guess I'll need to see it in person, which ain't that hard [​IMG]

18. pazzion

pazzion Senior member

Thanks. I followed Lear's advice that he posted in the big Shoe Care Thread on one of thr first 10 pages. It's quite long but really simple. Regarding the last so yeah, it's kind of boring. But that was one of the reasons I fell for it. It becomes more versatile then (according to myself so it's nothing proved or generally acknowledged). Plus the fact that the shoes, heel steel caps and a container Saphir Pate de Luxe only cost me €204 including shipping.

19. UrbanComposition

UrbanComposition Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Was going to wear either a solid brown or blue tie, but it looked too boring.

5 people like this.
  20. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Are you somewhere wintry?