1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

That jacket, if not worn with matching pants as a suit, is begging to be worn with an open neck shirt, white trousers and driving loafers. Also, lose the square or stick to white.

Is it really that odd, Doc? Personally I don't buy into DBs in casual fabrics or fabrics that were created to wear lightly, as buttoning a DB always seems to wrap me in insulation. However, I've seen a number of DB seersucker suits throughout the years.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  2. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

I would never wear driving loafers with dress trousers and/or a jacket, no matter what they are made of. In fact I wouldn't wear them with anything dressier than jeans and a polo. Can't stand that look for some reason. Would unlined suede tassels be a good substitute?

Wearing this jacket without a tie might be a good idea, I agree.

3. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

That's what I mean by odd. And not only is there an extra layer, the coat is meant to be worn buttoned -- yow. That said, DB seersucker isn't unprecedented, but it's unusual and somewhat impractical. It's in the realm of quirky aesthetic choice, which is why I say might as well go for the full suit. No point being bold and timid at the same time.

I have a three-piece linen suit that is similarly impractical.

1 person likes this.
  4. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

RD, you certainly know your context better than we do, but it's a difficult look to pull off. Don't think light gray pants are the right choice.

5. bourbonbasted

I can respect that. Drivers with trousers are a decidedly Mediterranean look (at least in my book). I endorse any opportunity to wear tassel loafers, so I say right on. I'd just look for some in a lighter color like sand suede. Dirty bucks might also work well.

6. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

Glad to see this thread alive again :)

posting so I can see it in my participated threads

1 person likes this.
  7. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

I think I understand your point. However, we're having quite high temperatures lately and I haven't felt hot at all wearing it, so I guess I should be fine. I tolerate heat rather well and recently started using an industrial strength anti-perspirant, so it's been comfortable so far [​IMG]

I admit DB seersucker doesn't really make much sense, but I love the look so much that I wanted to do it. So yeah, it's an eccentricity and perhaps in another context I could go for the full suit. However, the jacket alone doesn't raise any eyebrows, while the full suit probably would; and that is what I want to avoid...

Butch, I'll try my cream linens tomorrow. Not only do I think they will work better, they're also cut fuller, which I think will be optimal with a DB and my complexion. I'm also not 100% convinced about light grey [​IMG]

bourbonbasted, I've recently started to appreciate tassel loafers for summer wear, so I'll see if I can get a nice pair next month. I was after a pair from Carmina, in the Forest last, which looked really nice, but is only available in dark brown. Maybe Meermin....

Thanks for the feedback!

8. bourbonbasted

Realistically, if you're buying your first pair of tassels, I'd go with brown calf or cigar shell cordovan. They are much more versatile and easy to wear. However, in the context of this fit (seersucker jacket, white shirt, cream pants) dark brown may have a bit of a jarring effect. Hence my suggestion of a more muted suede. But, as I said, if you're buying your first pair, go with something more conservative and versatile.

9. mrjester

mrjester Senior member

[​IMG]

10. Sander

Sander Senior member

5 people like this.
  11. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

I think I would just wear tassel loafers with summer stuff, which means tan/cream/ivory trousers mostly. Cigar or a medium brown might be a bit too dark, maybe?
    I think I'd be looking for tan, either suede or calf... nice cordovan is a bit too much $$$ for me [​IMG]

12. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

hard to argue with dat, sander.

13. bourbonbasted

Ninja edit.

2 people like this.
  14. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Diaz, I agree that grey isn't the right trouser colour but I also think the shoe colour is a bit off. This colour seersucker always look good with dark blue trousers (not navy) and a white shirt, linen would look good against it. Snuff suede or tan shoes to keep it summery.

1 person likes this.
  15. pazzion

pazzion Senior member

I am actually waiting for my (first) pair of tassel loafers from Meermin, and they should arrive during the day. I ordered them June 9, so they are pretty spot on with the estimate of 1 month from order to shipping. I'll snap a pic and post it here when I finish working and studying. They are dark brown, which you didn't seem to want, but it will at least give you a fresh action pic of the shoes. :)

16. TehBunny

TehBunny Senior member

Can't argue with the advice given on your fit Rdiaz; but jeez your tailor is excellent the fit of the pants and jacket is spot on!

17. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Great! I'm just not convinced about the last, doesn't look as nice as the Forest or Vetam lasts from Carmina. I guess I'd need to see it in person [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  18. pazzion

pazzion Senior member

[​IMG]

I just found this picture and thought of your DB, RDiaz, and what it would look like if a suit. It is similar at least to my eyes. If you were dressed like that I would sure stare, but it wouldn't be to laugh!

19. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

I'm afraid I'm not built like that, and that DB has a much nicer cut than mine (probably more expensive as well!). It's a true 6x1, which is what I asked for, though got a 6x2. The troubles of MTM... However, that pic is making me think of getting light brown horn buttons instead of MOP, they look nice.

20. bourbonbasted

Whatever you do, DON'T attempt that shirt/tie combination :uhoh:

2 people like this.