whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

this is truly insightful. well said.

2. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Thanks. It isn't everything, but it is nonetheless a small victory to me that there is a recognizable "Foo" look.

3. TM79

TM79 Senior member

A shame it was discontinued. That jacket is amazing.

4. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Foo: I like all your suit / tie combos, but, of all the people here, you would be the one to benefit most from adopting the white linen square you so abhor.

5. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Flaneur@ 556: sorry, don’t like it, both too dark and too heavy for summer.

[email protected]: nice BUT the pattern (though not the color) of the square is too close to the tie. Dots+dots= bad. Also, the tie is green? The white dots make the white shirt passable but that would look better with a blue shirt. The flower is finally the right size, congratulations.

Unbel @569: quite good until I get to your feet. Also that collar, I assume that is the “bad” shirtmaker?

[email protected]: macro comment: your shirt collars look too low. #1, very good, but there is so much going on that I think the square is too much. 2nd, I like less. Shows the dangers of a dark blue shirt. The tie and suit are not super dark, and also are close in tone. So the shirt kind of washes everything out and makes it all look too uniform. A paler blue shirt fixes that. As I have said, French blues like that need a dark jacket. Also a bad square, both in that this particular blue shirt should not be paired with a blue square and in that I just don’t like it. 3rd pic, another square I can’t stand plus blue-blue pairing which is too matchy. I don’t like blue stripes in suitings but that one is relatively inoffensive. 4th, hard to tell, seems OK, 5th, the best of the lot.

[email protected]: burn that tie, smaller flower please, and no spotted squares.

Texas [email protected]: very bad. I have never seen a suit that more loudly screamed “CHEAP!” can’t go wrong with a blue shirt but that color looks low, limp and lifeless. Dislike the tie.

Eg: yes, it will be written up.

[email protected]: quite fine, though I dislike the square. At a minimum, show less, but really either go stark with white linen or go with something totally unrelated in silk. No middle ground.

[email protected], as long as you assure me the tie is dull and not shiny, that’s fine. Thought I think a darker tie would be better.

[email protected] #1 bad all around. I’ve commented on the jacket. Horrible tie and square. The tie actually might be OK with a summer blazer and cream pants for a regatta or something but square has to go. #2: I like this a lot though that summery shade of suit I would have gotten SB. Horrible square is horrible AND doesn’t go.

[email protected] Too much going on. That tie need s a more somber surrounding. The problem is twofold: everything else competes with it, and the dominant yellow blends in too much with the jacket ground. That is an ideal blazer tie. Replace that tie with a dark knit or solid shantung and you are fine. Square is no good though.

[email protected]: ???

Foo @645: fine, certainly tasteful, a lighter tie would give it more zing. @649: top much better than bottom, mostly because of contrast with coat and tie.

[email protected]: you like to play at the edge with multi pattern combos a lot. This works nicely but can we see you try some solids somewhere?

6. mafoofan

I think the white linen square is usually too sharp, too contrasty, too biting. Sometimes, I want that crisp, razor-sharp edginess. But most often, I don't.

7. in stitches

my pleasure.

could you imagine if you could get that look incorporated into the iconic :foo: emoticon.

i know, mind blown right?

8. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

:slayer::slayer::slayer::nodding::foo:

9. Fuuma

Don't panic but it seems your outfit was attacked by some sort of bacteria, it doesn't appear to have tainted your flesh yet.

In other words all these small patterns make it look like some sort of terrible square/dot invasion.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012

10. mafoofan

Thanks Fuu.

Incidentally, that may be my favorite square. The vaguely 80's retro cheeziness is awesome.

11. Fuuma

Can you do cream ps instead?

12. mafoofan

I do, quite often. Maybe 20% of the time.

13. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I was a waiter there. I know enough.

14. mafoofan

Chili's was around before the war?

15. in stitches

wow. that is an interesting tidbit. you must be a master of your yeitzer horah.

i apologize for my assumption.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012