1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

That KW is grievously mislabeled. It is very much a purple tie in real life. Still a very nice tie...just a bit harder to work with. By coincidence, I'm wearing it right now. Also by coincidence, I had already taken a WAYWRN picture.

Please note, I am not submitting this for its good taste, merely to elucidate on the color of the tie:

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  2. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

WEAR THE BROWN TIE

[​IMG]

3. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Senior member

That looks more like a claret or a gamay than a burgundy.

4. Claghorn

I'd say gamay is a good description. I have a wine Drakes and it's definitely closer to burgundy than the KW.

5. sdedalus1

sdedalus1 Well-Known Member

I have been on the lookout for a med to dark gray knit tie for a similarly colored linen suit. However, I dislike shine, so that has kept me away from the cheapies and commonplace 'wet' silk. If anyone knows of (an affordable) matte option, I'd be curious. Considering a wool knit just for the color, despite the non-summery fabric.

6. Claghorn

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

This blue suit.

8. Tirailleur1

Tirailleur1 Senior member Dubiously Honored

Care to opt for the same pink suit Nas wore in the music video for Street Dreams?

9. patrickBOOTH

No thanks. For total fora disclosure I opted for the shepherds check. Thanks Gshen.

Also I might commission a totally unlined black linen suit for when I go to Cambodia. Will wear with white t shirts underneath. Very un-style forum

1 person likes this.
  10. gringodaddy

gringodaddy Senior member

I am new. I am wondering if I accidentally put a tasteful outfit together. Probably not. First time wearing the tie. Not as versatile as I would have thought, though I like the feel of it. The scathing reviews may now commence.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  11. Claghorn

That actually sounds pretty nifty though. An interesting take on a black suit. I wonder how well it would translate into citywear (unusually, I imagine)

12. patrickBOOTH

I wouldn't wear it to work. A summer "going out" suit really. My hipster friends said I was lacking black in my wardrobe and if I wanted to stay on the board of hipsters I needed to find room for more black.

13. Claghorn

Please PM Tira. He said that MC had no hipsters.

14. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Aren't your glasses and shoes black?

2 people like this.
  15. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

fit pic now.

depends which part of the forum.

16. apropos

apropos Senior member

Was rummaging through an old memory card from a dead camera and found this -

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  17. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

very nice coat. navy?

18. apropos

apropos Senior member

Dark/mid grey melange, with a mid-grey suit worn under. Shirt is light blue end on end weave, tie is navy basket weave silk-wool.

1 person likes this.
  19. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

This is close. This is not a fit critique thread, but your jacket is too short and your pants seem like they're pulling on your thighs.

In terms of combination, I like it much more in the wider shot where the shirt appears to be a solid light blue. Even then, the tie is boring -- we might use soporific as a compliment for ties sometimes, but this tie is undistinguished and muddy. It reminds me of, like, late '80s Armani.

I find navy/white striped shirts harder to deal with than a mid or light blue stripe. Square is white linen or cream silk? Either way, good choice with a blue striped shirt. I don't like that the only patterns you have going on are purely linear, though.

Are the belt and shoes gray? That only adds to the questionable '80s bad taste vibe, but it could just be bad light.

You and I use this thread in the same way -- if I can't spot anything wrong with a rig, then I'll throw it up on here and find out. On the plus side, that couch is very fab, and shows that you do have a sense of style -- it's just a matter of learning how to effectively apply it to clothes.

20. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

I like the belly of that lapels on that overcoat Apropos.

On this length of the overcoat thing -- is there supposed to be a standard for overcoat length? I know they tend to be cut longer, but I'm not sure I prefer that on dwarfs like myself.

I felt Foo's coat was a little too long for my preference, though his choice of overcoat length (and those large turn-ups) might be one of necessity cum preference.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2013