• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Still not sure if my pocket square works. The shirt is blue, worn with an odd jacket.
Not good, tie is horrid. Is the coat a blazer? If so shirt is ok, if not - blah. Don't mind the square on its own but it doesn't fit with your get up.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I don't hate the tie, but if that's a blazer, it's not a great one. Much too shiny and suity.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would it not be possible for you chaps to set up a thread wherein posting is invitation only? The thread could still be open to observers such as myself. Perhaps its a despotic idea, but despotism has its pluses. Because I think everyone who actually makes good use of this subforum is getting pretty tired of trawling through pages of garbage and ****** quips from village idiots and attention whores.

Last edited:

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I think that would be up to the mods. Beyond that, the pitchforks might come out.

Also, since the original crew mostly does not post pics any more, we need something to react to.

Maybe we could hotlink Vox's blog :)

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Repost since there are more advise givers online right now and I got no response last time. Contrary to what someone said, I for one really do want advise. That is the only reason I post here. Yes, it's nice when people tell you that you look good, but the criticism is more useful than the praise. Anyone who is willing, please be harsh.

Last edited:

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Far from offensive but its very...shiny and a tad bit boring for my taste.

Is that a double FIH knot? I generally don't like those.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Far from offensive but its very...shiny and a tad bit boring for my taste.

Is that a double FIH knot? I generally don't like those.

What would you have gone with? A different texture/pattern? My first thought was to go with a wool tie but I wanted to try and see if I could make a silk work in this case.

Yeah, it's a DFIH. I probably just like them because I was proud of myself the first time I tied one successfully.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Wool, no. Does the jacket have silk in it? If so, its harder to stride away from the shiny stuff. You are also in Dubai so I'm guessing this is the go to look while in country. There is nothing worse than looking like your going on a grouse hunt in the middle of the desert.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wool, no. Does the jacket have silk in it? If so, its harder to stride away from the shiny stuff. You are also in Dubai so I'm guessing this is the go to look while in country. There is nothing worse than looking like your going on a grouse hunt in the middle of the desert.

Tag says wool, no silk in this jacket. I'm actually not in Dubai at the moment, although admittedly still in the middle east so I guess that point stands. To be honest the go to look in Dubai seems to be black suit, pink tie, and full windsor. It's good to know that I'm not being offensive at least. That in itself is a big improvement for me.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

quite like this.
really like the watch, particularly the band. may i ask what it is? interested pair ing with the shirt and suit. would not have thought of that.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I really wanted to cut a dash in the Middle East, I'd be wearing lots relaxed Neapolitan stuff and lots of linen and fresco, and maybe some slubby silk.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Caustic, there is something cheap and synthetic looking about the coat fabric.

Tie pattern is also pedestrian. If you're going to do stripes, stick with either plain repps or else slubby silk or some of those italian stripes with surface interest. That looks too satiny.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Caustic, there is something cheap and synthetic looking about the coat fabric.

Tie pattern is also pedestrian. If you're going to do stripes, stick with either plain repps or else slubby silk or some of those italian stripes with surface interest. That looks too satiny.

Thanks for the critique. The jacket says it's 100% wool but I think I get what you mean. It's got a tiny bit of a sheen and I don't know why. Will do on the repp tie next time. I have one that I think might look ok with it but it's shinier than the one I am wearing in the pic. Do you think I could get away with any shinier of a tie with this jacket?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I am anti-shiny tie, except for twill evening ties (I hate satin).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads