1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

What if he toned down the tie and cardigan? Say, brown tie, grey sweater?

2. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Ok, I'm happy to conduct a little experiment. If you can give some concrete suggestions about what would have worked, e.g. "brown tie, grey sweater" as hayward mentioned, I will do that (providing I have what you're asking) and repost the picture.

No egos will be bruised in the making of this ... [​IMG]

3. comrade

comrade Senior member

1. Tie the tie with one turn. If you want to double it,
    learn how to do it so that it doesn't show beneath the knot.

2. Get rid of the sweater. Both Perry Como and Mr. Rogers are dead.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  4. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Agree on point one. That's one of my ties, and they tie much better with a single four in hand as do pretty much most ties.

Point 2, Gerry like me is in Australia, we are 5 days away from winter starting and where I live it will be -2 tonight. You'll have to trust me that in autumn/winter here we need to layer to keep warm. Oz isn't all beaches and sunshine I'm afraid.

5. Gerry Nelson

Before this turns into a discussion about cardigans with sportscoats (again!) and acceptable tie knots, can people please keep their comments/critique in line with Manton's original post in this thread:

That's what this thread is about.

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  6. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Is that a brown blazer or a suit with brass buttons?

7. fxh

fxh Senior member

Gerry is an old age pensioner and therefore should be cut a lot of slack with regard to wearing cardigans in winter down here.

8. Gerry Nelson

Thanks, lad. The cold gets into your bones once you get over 65, know what I mean? Once you get to my age, you'll understand.

As an aside, after the initial comment, I re-tied the tie with a single four in hand knot and I think that did look better.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

WARNING: CLICHE GT COMMENT

i think just swapping the shirt for a solid light blue would be the easiest thing to do and would make a big difference. cut down from 3 patterns to 2 and i think the whole thing will be a lot better. just my 2 cents.

10. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

I'm no expert on clothes, but I guess we could think of this as like an art school crit? If so, y'all can either listen, or disregard me entirely, or ignore the parts where I just don't "get it." If anybody disagrees with me, please, let me know, because I'm trying to learn, too.

Gerry, I feel like what messes me up a little bit is the combination of the tie and the sweater. I was thinking it could be the suit (suit or SC?) and the sweater, given that the suit is in what I tend to think of as "Italian luxury fabric," with strong pattern but little texture, and then the sweater is a functional touch, better suited (in my mind) to a sort of English cloth -- one with either more texture/weight or less color.

Then, it occured to me that I've seen cardigan sweaters under that kind of suit before, and it's clicked for me in a way this wasn't quite working. I think it's the tie. This one is rather silky, and a bit too shiny (especially with the woven pattern). It's also too red -- it looks a little off with the mossy sweater. It's like the two elements are pulling me in different directions, in terms of color. I think a brown cashmere tie would be excellent here, or perhaps a brown knit. That would limit your color palette a little bit, and remove a pattern -- I agree with Stitches that that is a good idea. Heck, if you were to wear this with a solid blue shirt and a solid brown tie, I think you'd be doing very well. If you stick with the patterned shirt, you might want to reconsider the square (or perhaps just re-arrange it, if it's a pictorial pattern).

11. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

My suspicion is that the moire of the tie is an artifact of the photo processing, and it's actually fairly subdued. In fact, upon second look, I wonder if the overall vibe I find objectionable may be entirely due to the oversaturation and graininess of the photo. But I don't love the cardi no matter what.

Perhaps a solid grenadine/knit and a darker, more subdued hank could rescue this.

Blazer

12. Gerry Nelson

Really solid helpful comments, guys. Thanks!

Thanks, in stitches, I'll give it a go.

Thanks for this. I'll give this a try next week and repost here. I think you both might be onto something there. The sportscoat is a lighter blue with a dark orange windowpane pattern that's fairly subtle. The tie is actually more of a burnt orange which I was wearing to complement the windowpane pattern but in hindsight, the silkiness might make it more suitable for a worsted jacket/suit.

This is a better picture of the tie in question:
    [​IMG]

Thanks sb. I had a problem trying to figure out what kind of handkerchief would go with this. Trying to find something that didn't kind of blend in with the sportscoat was my challenge.

Take two next week.

Thanks again.

13. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

No problem -- I had fun with it. I like the tie much better in that picture, but I'm still not quite sure if it's at home with the jacket you posted today. I sort of figured you were working with the overcheck. I have a solid, burnt orange wool tie that works well with some of my tweeds. Something similar would have worked well with your rig, if you were to subtract the sweater.

Given that that particular jacket has the warm orange overcheck and a lighter blue-ish overcheck alongside it, I think you could pick out one or the other to play with, but maybe not both. The blue shirt, I read as a neutral, so that would still work with the orange tie. I kind of think it's nice to not pick up every color possible in a rig.

14. Gerry Nelson

That's what I'm after! Where did you get it from?

15. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Thrifted it, unfortunately. It's from Austin Reed. On the slim side (probably about 3.25"), so perhaps from the '80s? It's very heathered, and has a lot of texture. Pain to tie.

Here's the only (lousy) photo I have of it.

http://faintyoungsunking.tumblr.com...ent-on-a-date-to-taco-bell-dressed-in-this-it

My favorite wool tie is a solid hopsack, in kelly green, but I generally like something with some kind of heathering/wispy texture in a wool tie. Cashmere is wonderful for this, because it's easier to tie than wool with that kind of texture, but until I find another cashmere Zegna tie for 50 cents in a thrift store, I'll have to wait.

16. apropos

apropos Senior member

To my eyes, on my screen - I think it looks very nice. IMO/FWIW, you could probably get away with a lighter patterned olive green pocket square. [See Henry Carter - I'm not always a negative nancy. ;)]

1 person likes this.
  17. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12 people like this.
  18. apropos

apropos Senior member

Jay-sus moo, you've come a long way. 2 thumbs up.

19. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator