1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

I appreciate the discussion on white OCBD, and everyone's stated opinions. Some might not be as keen on them but I bought a few last month and plan on seeing what I can do with them. I am always up for something new.

2. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Any suggestions for linen button downs with a decent collar roll? I might get one or two from M & S, but that's as many as my budget will allow - and I will wear them often in summer, so I'm thinking about getting more. Need a cheaper alternative that doesn't look like crap, at least for this year.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  3. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

this is not an option for those outside NY, I guess, but I get all mine from CEGO.

4. Caustic Man

Dunno what stores are available in Madrid, but I've found white and light blue linen button downs available at Massimo Dutti here in Dubai. I've gotten a few myself.

5. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Too bad CEGO doesn't have a website yet. I checked out with my current tailor, but the button down collar he offers is no bueno. No roll, looks like a regular point collar with buttons.

Massimo Dutti has plenty of availability here, but I generally hate their stuff. Might check it out though.

6. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

Brioni makes a 3" wide black knit, it is a fine knit (not a crunchy knit) which is good with suits anyway. I'm considering pulling the trigger on one myself. It has a self-colored embroidered "B" logo though, which should be a deal killer, but I might let it slide. Cappelli has a 3" but in navy only. 3" black is sort of hard to find. KW's is 2.75" and is inexpensive. That is a good option, especially for the budget conscious. Personally, I might end up going with a course grenadine instead but am not willing to give up the fight quite yet...

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Interesting tidbit: imageWIS was supposed to be helping Carl with his website a while back. Maybe Carl also stocks WISmere shirting...

8. Renault78law

Renault78law Senior member

Barba.

9. Caustic Man

I'm not big on Massimo Dutti either, but it was the only place I saw OCBD shirts on sale. Not a lot of collar roll, but still acceptable I'd say.

10. patrickBOOTH

Any branded tie is a deal killer for me. The Brooks one was branded, so that killed it before the under 3". I won't wear a tie thinner than 3.25"

11. Caustic Man

I don't think they are available online, but I picked up a couple 3in knit ties at Sacoor Bros. recently.

12. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

3.25" is really wide for a knit. I have a 3" knit from TheKnottery (actually surprisingly nice for $25), and that's the upper bound of what I'd go for a knit. Most are between 2.5"-3".

13. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm almost positive Land's End offers 3" knits, or at least the one I have is 3 inches. I have knits from them, RLPL, Gallo, Howard Yount, vintage, etc, and the quality is the same on all of them.

14. patrickBOOTH

Where do I find Gallo? Everytime somebody posts something from there I love it, but can't find it.

15. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think there have been proxied group buys in the past. I actually don't remember. I know Kent Wang has sold those bi-colored knits in the past, maybe Howard Yount, too. I strongly suspect they're all made in the same place.

16. ChetB

ChetB Senior member

+1. I had a 3.25" knit a while back that has since been discarded, and I normally wear 3.5" ties. The problem with wider knits is that there's no taper: you get the full width starting right at the knot. I'd rather have the bottom of the tie narrow rather than the top part, the part that actually shows, too wide. 2.75" is optimal for me.

17. patrickBOOTH

^That makes a lot of sense about the taper. Maybe the others are a possibility again.

18. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

That and mostly everything *the company that still goes by the name "Brooks Brothers"* makes is crap.

*Snark courtesy of Vox.

19. patrickBOOTH

20. steffenbp11

steffenbp11 Senior member

Wide knit ties tend to look akward Imo. Bought a 3.5 one from the Dandy Store a while ago and ended up never wearing it. Anything wider than 3 is a no go in my book. Berg and Berg have a wonderful selection online. Theirs are 2.8 though...