1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Foo's theories are funnier than his jokes.

3 people like this.
  2. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

You seem to be fond of using cardigans as ersatz vests, which I think sits ill with these kinds of business-y worsteds. Consider discarding. The first outfit is also beset by too much blueness; I would replace the tie with one in grey, brown or black, and switch the hanky for something that goes with the new tie. The second outfit is better, but I would replace either the shirt or the hanky (probably the shirt) with something less white.

1 person likes this.
  3. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think the picture overemphasizes the shininess of the tie, but it does truly represent the color. Thanks for your thoughtful responses. I'll continue to enjoy the tie, but I won't trouble this thread with it in the future. :)

4. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

It's just the brightness I found jarring. The colors are pretty much fine for S/S IMO, and it would be weird for me to think otherwise because I do enjoy some more peacockiness in S/S. Whether that is within the scope of this thread or not, I don't know.

If the satin texture was overemphasized in the pic, then yep, just keep wearing it with pride... [​IMG]

5. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i didnt even notice the tie, or the fit as a matter a fact. i must have glanced over it when i was catching up. sorry, SB.

6. tdude

tdude Senior member

not trolling I assure you. I love this thread and have learned so much not just from the pics (especially back in the heyday with Manton's, Foo's 4-poster, gazman's and others). Manton recently advised pastel or lighter colored ties for summer. Then SB's post started an unfortunate rant. But I'm sure I'm not the only one who would like to hear the thoughts from ya'll about light ties for the season. even if pics are too much trouble as several of you have said, dialogue surely isn't.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. clapeyron

clapeyron Senior member

8. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I did not hate the tie. As a repp it would have been much better, satin is ugly. The colors are probably not ones I would have chosen but light repps for spring are generally a good idea.

9. sugarbutch

Thanks for your thoughts on the subject, Manton. This is exactly the sort of response I hoped to generate with the post. I knew that the colors might not be everyone's cuppa.

Also, the tie is repp silk, not satin. As is the one I'm wearing today but not posting in this thread so as not to drag everyone down with my mediocrity. :)

10. sugarbutch

1 person likes this.
  11. Manton

i have a tie sort of like it, also light blue but more muted, I think the stripes are dull green and silver but I can't remember, I will wear it when I return to NY and see if it upsets foo

1 person likes this.
  12. CaymanS

CaymanS Senior member

[​IMG]

The PS is the Rubinacci HMS Victory square. A few (hundred) pages back, when the OneSquare discussion came about, Manton mentioned the Victory square as a viable alternative to CremeSilkSquare. It has worked out wonderfully.

Will has a great selection at his shop, which is where I bought mine: http://store.asuitablewardrobe.net/

He is out of Victory squares at the moment but has several other beautiful designs from Rubinacci. You can always give the Rubinacci e-store a whirl, but I can't recommend it, as I have not tried it. Perhaps others who have ordered from there can chip in.

1 person likes this.
  13. CaymanS

CaymanS Senior member

I never meant to imply that your choice of clothing was mediocre. Some of your combinations throughout this thread have been quite nice.

14. CaymanS

CaymanS Senior member

@ Gerry, full windsor knots are in bad taste, and full windsor knots on knit ties are in horrible taste. I would recommend a four-in-hand (see above.)

15. in stitches

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. sugarbutch

Is the jacket navy?

No worries!

17. Manton

quite bad stitch.

color combos absolutely don't work. the suit and shirt would be Ok but the tie goes with neither the suit nor the shirt. All three together are very bad, you have a super city-formal somber suit+shirt with an earth toned light bright tie.

18. in stitches

thanks, i hear what you mean about the city suit/shirt and earth tone tie, but regarding the colors, how are brown and gray bad colors together?

19. sugarbutch

I'm not sure how neutrals + tan = absolutely don't work. Please to explain?

20. CaymanS

CaymanS Senior member

Yep, navy blazer with nickel buttons.

I wore this combination with light grey wool odd trousers.

Here is a photo of the entire outfit - since I'm too embarrassed to ask my secretary to take photos, this is best I can do!

[​IMG]

2 people like this.