• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@edmorel: Come on, if you don't acknowledge that it won't be true!

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Can your DH powers bring back hard 3 button jackets? I really like those.

Last edited:

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

No problem with the tie. But the square is stuffed funny. Looks like a poof that's feeling embarrassed for itself. Also, another example of why ties and squares should never be the only two things in an outfit to be patterned. They stick out like sore thumbs. No, the nailhead (is that what it is?) pattern in the suit doesn't count here. it is so fine as to register as a solid more than a pattern. Also, the square would look better significantly darker (more a forest green) and if its pattern density wasn't so close to your tie's. Right now, it is too close in brightness and saturation to your suit.

Thanks for the comments, foo. Suit is either nailhead or birdseye, I forget which. On the pattern density of the square, it's kind of luck of the draw with the motif square whether you're going to get more density or less. If I were to spend more time styling the photo, I'd probably pick out a denser part of the square and improve the fold as you suggested. When I stuff squares they always move around during the day in unruly fashion. Your FooFold seems to mitigate this, but it looks a little orderly for my personal taste. The cost of this choice is not being able to control the chaos.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've lost track - are we putting Foo up on a pedestal today or knocking him down? Just need to know whether to post that I want in on a cream square group buy or to roll my eyes at the suggestion.

sprout2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rotflmao.gif

There should be a little accu-weather barometer up top indicating what is ON TREND this second. It would surely reduce thread clutter and make things very easy for the affiliate vendors

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I wouldn't go so far as calling them tacky, but you won't catch me wearing one.

Well that is not saying much now is it?

:)

Ivar

Reaction score

When I think solid silk square I think of the prefolded jobs that come with rental prom tuxes.

My thinking as well.

CaymanS

Reaction score
You guys are overthinking the cream silk square.

:foo: never held it out as the Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ of #menswear

If I'm interpreting his stance correctly, it's simply this:

1 - Most of you are failing with your PS's because you're choosing a pattern/scale/color that doesn't harmonize with your shirt/tie/jacket.
2 - If you have doubts, don't just use a white linen square, which "cuts the eye" (Note: I don't agree with this and still wear white linen squares).
3 - Resort instead to creamsilksquare. It's really hard to **** up, adds a bit of visual interest to an outfit and is softer on the eye than folded white linen.

Based on the prevalence of squareFAIL on SF, I don't think this advice is terribly controversial.

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The only solid silk square I have worn (other than cream) is maroon one with a white dinner jacket. I don't know that I will ever wear that square outside of that situation.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You guys are overthinking the cream silk square.

:foo: never held it out as the Jesus H. Tapdancing Christ of #menswear

If I'm interpreting his stance correctly, it's simply this:

1 - Most of you are failing with your PS's because you're choosing a pattern/scale/color that doesn't harmonize with your shirt/tie/jacket.
2 - If you have doubts, don't just use a white linen square, which "cuts the eye" (Note: I don't agree with this and still wear white linen squares).
3 - Resort instead to creamsilksquare. It's really hard to **** up, adds a bit of visual interest to an outfit and is softer on the eye than folded white linen.

Based on the prevalence of squareFAIL on SF, I don't think this advice is terribly controversial.

Yep.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads