whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

So has obsessive, mindless, lemming-like acquisitiveness now become a good thing?

If twenty of you buy cream silk pocket squares, that will probably amount to the most sold of this classic item in any decade in history.

2. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

LOL. I had a cream silk hanky a couple of years ago, and every time I wore it I wished it were made of linen or cotton. But then, I hate shine.

3. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Dopey, it is a relief to see that at least one member has their wits about them.
    This thread has become a giant catalog of everything that goes wrong when you pair nerds with the twin vices of time and money. I hope any impressionable lurkers will take this opportunity to go outside and get some fresh air and, just once, look at what people around them are actually wearing (hint: it's not bow ties), and not at photos of lounge lizards on the Riviera...

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

the dwarf likes bow ties, so a bit of a misfire there

5. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

I do. But then I get depressed and feel the urgent need to come back here.

6. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

I think I subconsciously knew that and it slipped its way in. Should have said fedoras.
    The point still stands that the average teenager should not be aping Dopey's ways...

7. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

Apparently you missed the memo:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

This.

Is this the actual use case? While I know that there are teenagers who lurk, my guess would be that the average lurker/noob/beginner is probably mid-twenties to mid-thirties and is finding out for the first time that they don't have to follow in the foot steps of Kurt Cobain or Arthur Fonzerelli.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013

8. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

This is why you guys look like you walked off a vaudeville stage.
    The OCD person sees the vulgarity of modern dress and, rather than trying to blend the two extremes, dashes in the opposite direction. This is clothing as religion. But there's nothing righteous about wearing a three-piece suit to Denny's, I assure you. It seems of late this BBS is more Fedora Lounge (cosplay) and less London Lounge (sybarites).

I"m just grumpy because I didn't sleep a wink last night.

9. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

How about this: "Do as I say, not as I do." [​IMG]

10. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Of course. Every parent's manifesto.

11. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

I like :foo: as much as the next guy and think he is an elegant guy but I thought it was bad enough when everyone started doing the foo puff on their squares now they want to take it to the next level and all wear cream squares :confused: Is this what the forum has become?

he has great taste in bow ties.

12. E TF

E TF Senior member

Well if I get twenty takers I could probably drop the price to $200 each and up the dinner venue.

I actually have a cream silk square already; my wife gave it to me as a gift (together with a pink one) about ten years ago, long before I even dreamt of seeking clothing advice from strangers on the internet, and I discovered all by myself how versatile it could be.

13. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

You guys do know that you can do the :foo: puff with a cream linen square and achieve essentially the same effect, right?

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Foo said it would look bad because it would look like an old yellowed white linen square. Which, honestly I think would look cool in that Boston Cracked Shoe kinda way.

15. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

I think it's weird how everybody is trying to justify that they liked a cream pocket square before Foo brought it up.

That said, I think it's perfectly fine to selectively choose to emulate a certain way if one sees that there are merits in it. Generally speaking, and without directing this at anybody, only the obtuse see that certain ways are meritorious, yet choose to stay his perilous course.

Foo might have been persuasive, maybe he wasn't (considering there were multiple arguments put out), or maybe some just liked how a cream colour is more versatile than other fancy designs in red, and decided it's worth getting.

A cream pocket square isn't riding breeches where there are no merits to obtaining one for daily wear. Well, unless one is a horse riding instructor.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013