• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

My understanding is that they were created by T&A and popularized by one of the Bond films. This kind of early attempt at branding and marketing may be what's still befouling their reputation in the anti-branding iGent culture. Personally I think they look kind of cool in picture but I don't have any. I wouldn't be opposed to trying it. I've heard they're a huge pain to clean though - if you don't have somebody good, they'll probably screw it up.

i thought they did that for a reason for bonds character.

Wait, what the **** is black tie casual?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't have them on my shirts so I'm genuinely curious why you find them impractical.

The cocktail cuff tends to catch on things much easier than a French Cuff with a link to keep the turn backed fabric neatly cinched in. Maybe you need to be smooth like JB to wear them :)

AmericanGent

Reaction score
I have also heard them referred to as Neapolitan cuffs and as I am living here for a few years I might be able to get away with a few. Perhaps on a simple pale blue shirt they may add a small touch.
I am not an overtly showy guy- but I am all for a tasteful flourish here and there. These cuffs seem like a reasonable allowance- but I thought I'd ask for your thoughts- I appreciate your responses!

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The 'best' posts are those which allow the reader to infer two different meanings and which would allow the poster to point out that he means the opposite when the going gets hot. :D

Damn politicians.

You might well think that. I couldn't possibly comment.

AmericanGent

Reaction score
I think you'll get wild-y disparate opinions on turn-back cuffs on shirts, with some saying it makes one look affected, and others saying it'll look good. I say, if Bond (played by Connery) wore it, it's good enough for me.

I'll be sending some stuff to Naples. I've heard a lot about the problems with the Italian post (not sure if it's founded or not), and want to know if it's safe for me to send it via regular mail? Since you're in Naples, any feedback?
Strange that you should ask this- my wife and I were just talking this morning-
We receive packages from Japan pretty often from my in-laws. They have all arrived in a reasonable window, but we have to pay a customs fee. But here's the stinger- my mum-in-law has been paying this fee already, but the delivery company has been charging us again. Assholes.

PM me if you want to discuss this further. I might be able to be of some assistance.

P.S. I have a good friend from Japan who is a sushi chef in London. If you are into sushi let me know.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just in case the question is missed by posting it elsewhere - I'm wondering where does silk reppe fall in the formality scale?

I'm not talking about repp stripes, but silk reppe construction, as in http://www.drakes-london.com/woven-solid-reppe-silk-bespoke

I notice my wardrobe is in desperate need of burgundy/wine coloured ties, which would pair well with everything I have, but until I get some money, all I have is a solid burgundy reppe silk tie, which is actually the first tie I ever bought. Would it be coherent to wear it with odd jackets? I'm thinking it's a bit too shiny and thus formal, but I may be wrong.

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Shirt is pale blue. Suit, not SC

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks. Now I'm just waiting for my beatdown... :)

Mr. Pink

Reaction score
Square fail or no?

Suit is a lighter navy, not midnight as it appears in the photo,:

Also curious on thoughts about this:

Last edited:

p.henrik

Reaction score

[Quote:
Originally Posted by Balfour

True, but the 0520 is not really grey/blue (at least not compared to say the fresco mohair 0577 that I'm considering having a suit made up in).]

I agree. Nothing remotely grey about it.

[Originally Posted by RogerC

It is not a "blazer" fabric in the sense of the traditional New England version. I find it a shade of blue, however, that works quite well as an odd jacket with light grey trousers.]

Same here. Perfect for summer.

If you're wedded to navy then it isn't what you want. But IMO it's just as good - in this instance - as navy.

So if it's the 0520 is not greyish at all, what does Manton and Foo have against it as a blazer fabric? Seems like a great choice to me. I don't want new England navy, but am particularly looking for something lighter, that can work as a day time blazer and suit. Blogger blue if you will.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads