1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

[​IMG]

9 people like this.
  2. Moloch38

Moloch38 Senior member

Moo, digging the gun club, awesome combo w/the pants and shoes.

3. apropos

apropos Senior member

Wow moo, that is brilliant. Great job! :)

You've been through a lot on SF, and it's great to see you come out on top in the end - hopefully newer members will be inspired by your journey!

1 person likes this.
  4. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

Regarding the white linen hanky thing. One advantage it enjoys over its competition is that it doesn't immediately mark its wearer out as a clothes horse. I think this is because of its ubiquity, and also the fact the it's actually functional (I have on at least one occasion handed over mine to a sobbing lass).

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  5. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

moo, that is very good.

my one criticism is the shape of your collar. I know this has come up elsewhere and you're in the market for new BDs, so as long as you know what to look for, that's good.

6. NORE

NORE Senior member

That collar could roll either way. My only critique would be that I wish those pants were flat-fronted and 2 cm longer. And the bag was deer to match teh shoes. :)

7. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Would like this much more with brown trousers, jacket is a little bit retro-horse blanket but not overwhelmingly so.

8. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

:cheers:

Thanks man!

Between your approval here, and Parkers words in the WAYWT thread, I feel pretty stoked. :slayer:

:lol:

Brown trou... *added to kop list*. I have 4 pairs that I am happy with - the ones pictured, a charcoal pair, a sort of dark green melange, and a slightly brighter than navy blue melange. Brown is next.Just have to find the right material and shade so as not to look too dowdy. Any recommendations?

9. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

[​IMG]

Bottom pic is only used to show shirt colour and tie colour (I realized that the lining was captured in the picture and if you don't like the what would otherwise be concealed lining, don't click.

[​IMG]

More 'ugly' shoulders

[​IMG]

Blue white stripe shirt. Please don't deduct points for the background. I'm not about to ask anybody to take a picture of what I'm wearing.

Coat isn't short -- covers my derriere. I'm short.

1 person likes this.
  10. Manton

I like the lining better than your tie.

WTF is up with that shoulder?

11. bboysdontcryy

Why am I not surprised that the shoulder expression came up!

I was applying your principle on page 8-9, last line in which you write that 'Higher shoulder pads are an absolute boon to the diminutive man, because the raised collar and shoulder line increase the sense of height more than any other mode ...' :D

And since I'm diminutive ...

More seriously, apart from that reason, it's hard to find tailors on the Row who will give you a soft shoulder like A&S does, and also, I have relatively straight shoulders, thus even a moderate padding (yes, it not heavily padded, except the ends because of my curved back) makes it seem as if it's built up.

Interesting however, that with these shoulders, you won't find the 'bump' alluded to on the other threads.

12. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Am I the only one thinking that the lining would make up as a good tie?

13. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

14. Manton

It's really the width that threw me. They look way extended.

15. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

What's wrong with the shoulder? That's the way straight, extended shoulders are supposed to look. And the sleeve hangs nicely from them.

16. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

The ugliness is in the transition from collar to shoulder. It is not smooth and streamlined, but abrupt.

17. bboysdontcryy

Can you expand a little more on that? I'm not sure what you mean by transition from collar to shoulder. Do you mean the sleeve-head is disrupting the 'transition'?

More generally -- the shoulders are extended (and it could be taken in a whisker, I think). I think it's fairly common in England, but because A & S doesn't pad up the ends, it sort of droops/hang down so it's less prominent.

A better shot

[​IMG]

18. dopey

You are hard to please. He is going to need a surgeon to make you happy. A tailor won't be enough.

19. dopey

No. He doesn't like the high collar stand rising straight from the shoulder line and wants it to transition in a slope towards the shoulders.

20. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

To me the shoulders look like the standard strong shoulder style.