whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

If this were The :foo: Guide to Sartorial Logistics, this would be a fine point, but from a taste standpoint, it's utterly off-topic. Particularly for a man who has the basics covered, there really is nothing wrong with having a shirt with limited versatility. And your objection to darker gray odd trousers is idiosyncratic. Plenty of tasteful, stylish men like and wear them.

2. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

On this, I want to post an outfit that i'm having trouble getting right.

It will be completely distasteful to this thread.

But i need to figure out what trousers are going to look best with a particular jacket that I have, and you guys are probably the best ones to help me in this regard. also with the pocketsquare.

3. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

Why don't you do a livestream from your closet? You have a lavalier microphone, right?

4. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

Well, it seems to me there is method to the madness. You find the most outrageous colours in simple patterns: windowpanes and tattersalls. The more complex a pattern gets (PoW, gun club), the more sedate or harmonious the colours become. In contrast, I find Italian jacketing often combines very complex patterns with very vibrant colours, which is a different sort of aesthetic.

5. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I am simply promoting a more holistic view, as opposed to the single instance, outfit-oriented perspective that dominates. I have said a thousand times, certain things like charcoal odd trousers (not simply "darker grey") or a red striped shirt can be worn to great effect. However, more often, they are not. Through what I've observed and my own experience, one's likelihood of putting together a "good taste" outfit highly increases when one first carefully edits his wardrobe. The big flaw with your approach is that you wind up constantly hunting for exceptions to general rules. Consequently, it's not surprising when everything in one's wardrobe winds up an exception to this or that, and none of it looks right together--unless worn just so. You wind up with a collection of outfits with a limited, defined set of possibilities, as opposed to a flexible, adaptable wardrobe that allows exponentially more permutations.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
  6. bespokenfor

bespokenfor Active Member

dude, i feel like i am in logic 101 class. please refrain from applying your admirable debating skills to a topic that is just not that important.

7. mafoofan

I really don't understand what you're finding troubling. I'm simply spelling out an idea and approach.

8. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bespokenfor [​IMG]

dude, i feel like i am in logic 101 class. please refrain from applying your admirable debating skills to a topic that is just not that important.

How on earth is an approach to building a versatile wardrobe not important? It's the foundation for everything, and so many people are doing it wrong that I believe it's a very important topic.

9. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Why did you even respond to that post?

10. mafoofan

Why don't you give your house a name so we can have a rockin' party?

11. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Manton Abbey?

:marchal:

12. mafoofan

I was thinking "The Mant-sion," but yours is much better.

13. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

what i have learned, is that even with a plethora of solid blue shirts, its still not easy task to get things right. shade, texture ......all play in. getting the blue shirts is step one for me, next is understanding how to use each one.

and the biggest bother to me with that, is that you then feel like you are wearing the same thing over and over, as opposed to having a few SCs, a few pairs of pents, a few suits, and a bunch of ties, and some shirts, and being able to make a multitude of combinations out of them. keeps things lively. tbh, i dont thing you and SB really disagree on this one, i think you are both just talking to different points.

14. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

To all the dark pents doubters, foo is completely right.

It's true that dark pents don't ALWAYS look bad, but they are inherently "outfitty" in that they don't go with much. They look nice with lightish gray odd jackets but the problem is that lightish gray odd jackets mostly look like shit. So you have this pair of charcoal trousers that maybe goes with one jacket which is an outlier in itself. So now you're sunk two expensive items that only work with each other and that you can't wear that often. Dumb.

Dark gray pents also look like complete shit with a blazer, worse than "security guard," more like, "oh, that poor colorblind man doesn't realize that he has worn his gray suit pants with his blue suit coat, he must be a bachelor."

Medium to light, OTOH, go with everything and look great doing so, so what's not to like?

15. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored