1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Wallcloud

Wallcloud Well-Known Member

I am curious if a suit like this can be in good taste. Unfortunately my closet has plenty of these type of things. I could wish I had fewer "interesting" clothes and more staples. Ah we'll, lesson learned. Shirt is ecru.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I think it would if the scale was larger and fainter. So, in other words, no.

3. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Not liking that at all, Wallcloud.

Really, for me it fails at every level.

1 person likes this.
  4. Big Texas

Big Texas Well-Known Member

Sure. All of which takes this back to Manton's original point, pre-philosophical-divergence, which is that a) there are degrees of coherence and success in the application of taste, and therefore, b) there is such a thing as "good" taste (and its converse, "bad" taste). This holds true whether we choose to define taste as some sort of absolute standard, or as a relative standard, or as an objective standard or a subjective one.

For the sake of argument, let's define "taste" as a set of aesthetic beliefs and principles that one has developed over time (this is a subjective standard). Now, let's say that this person's taste is either "good" or "not good" to the extent to which it fulfills or defies the set of conventions, standards, and aesthetic values of its given context (setting, time, place, culture, and observers under guidance of such). This makes taste a subjective/absolute standard qualified by subjective/relative judgment.

Now, we'll notice that this function doesn't include the factor of any sort of objective/absolute standard, i.e., universal and timeless principles of aesthetic harmony. These may or may not exist w/r/t the domain of clothing, but regardless, we can operate without them, as the strength of our given contextual standards (and our collective acceptance or rejection thereof) serves as a de facto stand-in for universal principles.

This thread has fluctuates in and out of debate and chaos precisely because such a consensus on contextual principles doesn't seem to exist on SF, or at least on the SF of today. It may have at one point. Or maybe it still does, but it is not a complete and all-category-encompassing consensus. We're not quite in the realm of zero-consensus, in which the relativist/subjective "Whatever works for you!" argument holds water. But we're not fully in the realm of firm consensus, in which we can speak of hard and fast aesthetic guidelines. I'd argue that SF is closer to the latter than to the former, however, and as such, Manton's exercises with threads like this one can be seen as an attempts to push things even further toward such a point.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
    2 people like this.
  5. acridsheep

acridsheep Well-Known Member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    I too believe Neitzsche, Descartes, Plato and Socrates all had men's clothing in mind when conducting their work. Euripedes, on the other hand, was a graphic tee shirt guy.

4 people like this.
  6. apropos

apropos Well-Known Member

Wallcloud, no.

7. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

i am a fran of blue on blue. JP, you are all win in this thread as far as i am concerned.

8. Wallcloud

Thanks for the feedback guys. Had this thing made years ago. Good thing I have an appointment with WW Chan coming up.

9. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

10. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

Stitch, that jacket is quite flattering on you. Tie is super cuddly.

I still think you would benefit from a slightly larger trouser hem, and a more relaxed stance (i.e. not bending your legs back and relaxing your arms).

11. Wallcloud

Stitch, looks nice. I especially like some of the accessories on your deck. I can tell we are at a similar life stage.

12. JPHardy

JPHardy Well-Known Member

Thank you, that is very kind.

I credit this essential style book.

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  13. Big Texas

Big Texas Well-Known Member

Stitchie, looking good. That outfit sort of cries out for tobacco suede shoes, IMO, but perhaps that would push things just a little bit over the boundary of good taste and into hipster/twee territory (especially given your luxurious beard). Not sure.

14. etkl

etkl Well-Known Member

As a practical matter, judgements of good taste are made in this thread based on a number of ad-hoc ill-defined rules (axioms) of good taste. I suppose a group of wise men (DH's) could formulate a set of rules that govern most (but, as Godel proved in mathematics, not all) questions of good taste. But these axioms would invariably be subjective, tied to convention and controverfsial.

What I find more interesting is that Manton apparently believes (if I am reading him correctly), that good taste generally, and good taste with regard to clothing in particular, is based on a permenant aesthetic that transcends convention. I don't believe he has indicated why he believes this, whether good taste in this sense is knowable and, if so, whether his knowledge in this regard plays a part in his good taste judgements about clothing.

15. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

I like all of them... but the SC is the shit! [​IMG]

16. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

Hahahahaha! [​IMG]

17. TM79

TM79 Well-Known Member

I like that SC a lot. I don't really like the light tie against it, and I really like the chocolate grenadine against it.

18. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

The gray wool is definitely the worst of the bunch IMHO. But the colors are also probably off a bit because that doesn't look like a bitter chocolate grenadine. But as pictured, that tie "heats up" the fit too much. I like the top one in dark navy the best.

1 person likes this.
  19. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

I can't say I've ever seen an outfit that to me was "crying out for tobacco suede shoes." (you're welcome, emptym). Stitch - I know I've said this to you before, so sorry to repeat again, but you really are in urgent need of pants with bigger leg openings IMHO. I like the colors and textures in the tie/shirt/SC though.

1 person likes this.
  20. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

Yes, the stage of leasing your home back from your children. :fu: