1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. JPHardy

JPHardy Well-Known Member

I tried fixing color a bit, check back.

I will try a proper color shoot this weekend.

2. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

just checked, looks more gray than before. looks ok, but still like navy and choco best. :)

3. sprout2

sprout2 Well-Known Member

Yes, I am embracing that cliche.

As for the latter, well said! I am not sure wherefrom comes the urge to find One Truth about a hobby, but maybe it is the nature of the beast. I made reference to this elsewhere, viz., the high proportion of OCD personalities congregating on a BBS and seeking fulfillment through careful cataloging of arcana. SF is the Wikipedia discussion page of clothing. Maybe it's also a way to justify/rationalize the expense sunk in, by believing one has achieved (a hierarchical definition of) transcendence. Funny how those that gain real sartorial nirvana just leave the forum, never to return.

I was throwing sassy remarks around in hopes of bringing this down to earth, but the participants really want to discuss the metaphysics of taste, so........
    Here is an idea: why not a linen or open-weave wool sport coat in brown? It won't be "year-round" (what is?), but you can enjoy it 60% of the year.

4. Makoto Chan

Makoto Chan Well-Known Member

These are all nice combinations. You might wear all of them during the course of a month, feel great every time, and at the end you might look back and think about which one worked best on which day in which weather and this would be fine.

Putting all the photos next to each other and inviting comment seems, on the other hand... weird. In fact, ridiculous. JPH, you must be putting these up for others to look at and think about. You're not actually asking "which one is best" because you think that comments from the internet crowd will tell you more than you could see yourself from wearing these outfits in real life.... right?

5. The Thin Man

The Thin Man Well-Known Member

Beyond navy jackets, good-taste jackets are always in seasonal weights. I would go with linen -- light brown, air-force blue, tan, mustard, bold glenplaid. Or tweed.

6. sprout2

I am still reeling that he put on and photographed four neckties after a day at work [​IMG]

7. JPHardy

I put them up for several reasons.

1. Opens discussion which is part of what makes the forum work. IMHO
    2. Allows me to see them in photos which sometimes tells more of a story than a mirror.
    3. By seeing what people comment on gives me insight on to what they like and then I can weigh their comments in future fits.
    4. If you think they are good (thank you) then maybe it can help other people in the future.

As for the four pics after work being trouble. It's nothing compared to all the work that a lot have done to make the forum better.

I haven't posted or commented for a while and felt like posting a bit today.

2 people like this.
  8. sprout2

Definitely agree on choco brown for this

9. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

i for one, appreciate that JP took the time to provide that. good conversation, practically useful.

10. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Well-Known Member

Yes to #1 and #4, no to #2, yes to #3 with a blue shirt.

I don't know why there would be such a rule. Does the sky look distasteful against the ground?

11. Willin

Willin Well-Known Member

I agree with you and it struck me as odd but I do recall reading that. Perhaps I misinterpreted it.

12. Fuuma

Fuuma Well-Known Member

I am not trying to say that I am not interested in such a topic or that it is not a worthy pursuit but, rather, that it is not needed to dress well and especially not to dress "in good taste", as it is something you absorb and can achieve without needing to go into the Cartesian mode of subject-object observation. When you see the hammer you do not wonder about it's characteristics in the absolute, you pick it up with a purpose,in relation to other things in the world because you strive toward making something. Dressing is the same.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  13. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
    2 people like this.
  14. Bounder

Bounder Well-Known Member

All very true, but very true for everything.

But it is nonetheless pleasing to contemplate the essential hammerness of a hammer and why a rock may share in that essential quality while a cherry cream pie does not.

Unless it's like, really, really old and stale or something.

1 person likes this.
  15. RogerC

RogerC Well-Known Member

RDiaz: Since the Lesser Barbera, the P&H Solway and the Hardy Riviera books have been discontinued, there aren't really a lot of light weight worsted books left with the English makers. I'd imagine that 8-9oz will get you through about three quarters of the year in Madrid. However, the H&S Crispaire bunch contains a number of solids and dogtooth patterns that would work very well as odd jackets of splittable suits. The Dragonfly has an interesting PoW, but I'm not sure how long 6oz wool will last. I must say I also like a lot of the linen and linen/silk jacketing patterns in the new Ben Silver collection, but I'm not sure what would be good books for that sort of thing.

16. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Well-Known Member

1. Roger, try having a look at Harrisons new range, the 'Mirage' you like silk/linen/wool combo's.Some of the designs in it are lovely

17. RDiaz

RDiaz Well-Known Member

H&S has the awesome Crystal Springs book, but it is rather expensive... still not sure how much cash I want to spend for a first try. Plus I'm not sure what the "guidelines" are for worsted odd jackets (i.e., is a worsted Super 130's gun club OK?). Crispaire and other S/S books from H&S are more affordable. I remember a rather nice H&S linens book my old tailor had, but don't recall its name.
    Thanks for all the suggestions so far :)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  18. sprout2

Yes, I agree: at its most basic, a pursuit of operational excellence. Treating it like engineering is largely effective. But to really succeed you need first to stand apart and see it in the abstract -- most bad dressers fail because they have just been hammering away and never stopped, even for a minute, to consider what it means to hammer. So it is with other things: to not think, first you have to think. Abstraction is a necessary waystation on the way to better engagement with material reality.

19. JPHardy

[​IMG]

12 people like this.
  20. RogerC

RogerC Well-Known Member

It's not online yet, but the few Twitter pics they posted are promising.