1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

No.

Kuhn never questions the validity or value of the modern conception of "science." Within that conception, he describes very well how the natural sciences should operate.

What he says is of no value for philosophy broadly speaking, and harmful if tried to apply to the human things.

2. Big Texas

Big Texas Senior member

True, although there is a current in modern philosophy -- perhaps ironic, in context of your assessment -- that harkens back very deeply to the convergence of science and philosophy as espoused by, say, Pythagoras and his ilk.

Nowadays we hear all this talk of golden means and ratios, symmetry of aesthetics as hardwired biological preference, etc. While it's true that modern thought has largely attempted a fact/value separation, it's sort of backed into a conflation in certain respects (although, one could argue that it's done so out of a desire, intentional or not, to reduce so-called "values" to "facts" grounded in science).

If anything, the driving current of modern intellectual discourse is a tendency toward materialist reductionism -- highly influenced by many scientific fields that have picked the low-hanging fruit of the macro-visual, and are now forced to channel narrower and narrower in an attempt to understand the microcosmic.

Sometimes this M.O. functions as you describe it, and sometimes it doesn't, but in total effect, I'd say you are pretty accurate in your assessment.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. ylkim30

ylkim30 Well-Known Member

Isn't that an overly narrow definition of knowledge?

Propositions derived from empirical observation and inductive reasoning can still be defined as knowledge. Most people would agree that I can say "I know the sun will rise tomorrow morning" because I observed the sun rising multiple times in past mornings.

Though this statement doesn't have the same certitude as "2+2=4" or "If A then B. It is A. Therefore, it is also B," our everyday understanding of the word "knowledge" would still encompass inductive reasoning.

4. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Thanks. So why is it so important I read this? (someone, not here, said it was very important.)

1 person likes this.
  5. Manton

It really is the single greatest statement of the epistemology of science since Descartes' Discourse on Method. Very influential book.

6. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

I'm not well versed in this matter so I stand to be corrected, but I think that one of the clearer ways to establish principles that even try to approach a rational basis for good taste might be to adopt Popper's use of modus tollens as a means of falsifying hypotheses, in this case, the various clothing combinations.

Specific to this thread and its intents, I thought that formulating good taste principles (like, for instance, pocket square colour should not match tie, density of tie emblems should be distinct from that of the pocket square) as a guide could be clearly laid out and tested against the various outfits that are put up and then exceptions can be included over time when required. That way, there will be more consistency in judgements, and thus, will approach a more 'rational' foundation for assessment as opposed to one that hinges solely on personal preference.

The only problem is whose 'taste' should be used as the foundational principles? Whence do these principles come from?

Another intrinsic problem is if Manton (or somebody else) is chosen for the task because others have determined that they like his combinations, then does that mean that good taste is Manton as a proxy for the taste of those who have chosen him because they like his combinations?

** This would make for another book, and an interesting one for clothing nerds.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  7. JPHardy

JPHardy Senior member

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  8. Manton

Nice, hardy. Might benefit from a lighter tie, however

9. JPHardy

JPHardy Senior member

Thank you Manton.

I'm thinking the same about the tie.

Are you thinking slightly lighter blue? It will need a different shirt and have to be Grenadine (no wool in lighter blue)

10. Manton

light gray would be nice

11. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

I wouldn't agree with a lighter tie, but I would say it different color. Chocolate brown wool would work well there I think

12. Grammaton Cleric

Grammaton Cleric Senior member

+1

13. JPHardy

JPHardy Senior member

I have a light gray herringbone, but fear a clash of pattern size with the jacket. Also the tie might get lost.

Chocolate brown has been my go to, but again don't have in wool only grenadine, and I wanted to do wool.

If you can point me to an NY tie maker that can make me a couple of wool ties the size I need, I will be happy to place an order for 2 or 3.

I'll try to post pics side by side tonight and see what we think.

14. etkl

etkl Senior member

Assuming 1)the ontological issues are as you stated and 2)there is a rational basis for aesthetics (a far from trivial proposition), your conclusion that good taste with regard to clothing exists does not inevitably follow unless you accept that the aesthetics of clothing are rationally based, which is not self-evident either. Moreover, your positions on the relevance of convention appear to be contradictory. On one hand, you assert the exercise in this thread to identify good taste can't simply a matter of assessing what is convention. Yet, you also state that the expressions of good taste are determined relative to the conventions of the time (and presumibly the place). This ambiguity regarding the importance of convention also mucks up the epistemological inquiry because how is good taste in clothing to be determined without refernce to convention?

15. Bounder

Bounder Senior member

Let me translate that into a plain English syllogism for everyone. "What the cool kids like is good. We are the cool kids. Therefore, what we like is good."

If you really believe this, then you have exactly zero moral authority to ever criticize anyone. Do not ever say anything bad about Spoo. Do not ever do another foofing. Do not ever make another comment more pointed than "I like this." If you really believe this, you are Cruiser except without the humility.

I hope you do not actually believe what you have written as I often find your comments interesting. But I am certainly not going to value your analysis more highly than you do yourself. If your comments are directed at teasing out some objective basis for aesthetics in clothing, I am fascinated. If your comments are just a bloviated pontification about what happens to be going on in your own head at the moment, then they are a complete waste of time.

Exactly. I completely agree.

These are certainly the issues but there is absolutely no point in discussing them on SF. This is so because in order to have an actual conversation about clothing, we must necessarily assume that the answer to all three questions is "Yes". If there is no objective basis for good taste in clothes, we are back to "I like vanilla ice cream!" " Really? I like chocolate!" Both pointless and supremely uninteresting.

What is -- or should be -- going on in this thread is a process of inductive reasoning. "Here are a series of things that we can recognize are in good taste. By comparing and contrasting these things, what universal rules and principles can we tease out about good taste itself?"

This process will never be a precision one. One of the biggest problems will always be separating widespread cultural preferences from the underlying objective principles. But the goal remains and is, in principle, attainable. At the least, it will make for an interesting and occasionally insightful discussion.

1 person likes this.
  16. mymil

mymil Senior member

I like OCBDs. How do people feel about other styles of shirts made up in oxford cloth? Say a spread collar, French placket, no pocket. I don't think I've seen much discussion of it, and though I don't have any like this, I've been considering it.

17. Manton

Convention = framework, i.e., suits and ties or togas and laurels?

Permanent aesthetics = standards that transcend historical frameworks.

Or, to speak architecturally, the Palazzo Strozzi is a terrible example of Doric architecture, whereas the Parthenon is an awful high Renaissance palazzo. But is each good for what it is? And do trancendent aesthetic standards determine the latter answer?

18. A Y

A Y Senior member

It's a bit of a visual contradiction. The cloth is too rough against the higher formality of French plackets and spread collars. A finer-textured cloth would be better. That said, most people probably wouldn't notice.

2 people like this.
  19. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Pinpoint is oxford, just tighter. Do this instead.

2 people like this.
  20. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

Today, I am abiguously conventional in my broadcloth and tweed:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]