whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Nope. It's not about counting patterns, at least to me. In this case I think stripes would tie everything together better than a solid.

2. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Hmmm, alright. I'll give it a try next time.

3. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Theoretically this is doable, but easy to fuck up. If he had done the standard OCBD-style candy stripes with the first outfit, for example, it would have been a total fail. It calls for bengal stripes so as to avoid being too close in density to the square and jacket.

4. unbelragazzo

To be clear - I don't mean one of those pinstripey multiple stripe shirts. I mean one color stripes, with medium spacing and thickness. Like the one :foo: has and seems to wear fairly often.

5. unbelragazzo

Apologies for using my own pic to illustrate a point, which apparently drives some of you crazy with rage for reasons I can't understand, but here is what I mean:

[​IMG]

6. Caustic Man

I think I know what you mean, and I have just the shirt for this. Well, we'll see if I do. I'll try and post something in the next few days.

7. mafoofan

U., I do think that would look better with a solid blue shirt. Those candy stripes are too dense for the application. As in C.'s case, bengal would be better. Nice color matching though.

8. unbelragazzo

For comparison, here's the same suit and similar tie with a plain white shirt. I think light blue makes for too much bright/light blue with this suit. Also in this case I was wearing the suit in the evening (hence the silk square, in a fold :foo: will surely hate, rather than a linen one):

[​IMG]

I think the white shirt gives it a much more clean, formal look. In the case of Caustic's fit, that's working against everything else his outfit is trying to do. To my eyes, the plain blue in the middle is like an odd hiatus from the pattern-dense stuff everywhere else. Not in a good, contrasty way, but in just an I-couldn't-think-of-anything-else-to-put-here way.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013
  9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think the herringbone shirt is a fail though. I think a stanadard light blue broadcloth, or ocbd would look better.

10. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

This shirt is probably not in good taste at all by itself, but since it was my only available clean shirt I built the whole ensemble around it, and I'm interested to know if I did well in that respect. If this is a total trainwreck I'll banish it from this thread.The shirt is white with a blue and burgundy overcheck, and the DB blazer is dark navy. Maybe the blue knit tie and hints of burgundy in the square makes everything a bit too matchy overall?

[​IMG]

11. mafoofan

R., the main problem is that the square and tie are too close in saturation--that's to say, very saturated. Honestly, I can't see much detail in the shirt, so it's hard to judge it.

12. Caustic Man

I can see what you are saying, and I know this doesn't come through very well in the photo, but the shirt is a two tone oxford weave. Maybe still not optimal for this application, but definitely not a fully solid shirt.

13. mafoofan

C., I still think the solid blue is a better idea. You are already wearing some busy patterns. Eyes need a rest. Shirts are inherently background players, so it's usually sensible to embrace them as such.

14. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Yeah, very difficult to take a decent close-up picture with a phone and this jacket; it's so dark that even on lowest exposure, everything else looks too bright [​IMG]

If I had one I'd have chosen a lighter and less saturated blue tie, guess that would have helped. Would this be OK with a cream silk square, or is it too formal for such a dressed down blazer outfit?

15. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

[​IMG]