whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Foo - I like the square (but since you generally hate mine, it probably means you should kill it with fire?). The tie is IMO what doesnt work in this outfit. More contrast would have made a great outfit in my book

2. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

It's just that everything is usually so Foo-like that when something alien shows up, we have to name it, to make it real and less frightening.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  3. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Housekeeping note: please don’t quote huge pic posts only to say +1 or something. It slows the thread down. If you must quote pics, use the spoiler tags. I am going to be deleting unnecessary quoted pics. Nothing personal.

OK.

[email protected]: fine mixing of colors, does not get more classic. I don’t like the narrowly spaced stripe in the suit. I think if you are going to do that, the stripes need more pop. Check out old pics of Adolph Menjou, though this is very much a dandy’s cloth. I tend not to wear formal day get-ups like that for business but there’s nothing wrong with it. The tie pattern is too fuzzed out, that same tie with a more distinct plaid would be nicer.

[email protected]: any of the ties you mention would go fine with that suit and of course that tie is nice with wool suits. I see nothing wrong with wearing that tie with cotton, though, the very light-bright notes within the tie give it a summery air.

ET: tie is not a macclesfield, actually, it’s a twill print.

[email protected]: “eastery” is a great way to describe that. I am too orthodox to wear anything other than a white shirt to a wedding but that does look nice. However, I want to make one cautionary point to the n00bs. Dark suit, light shirt, light tie always works. Dark suit, light shirt, dark tie always works. Light suit, light shirt, dark tie always works. Light suit, light shirt, light tie—aye, there’s the rub. You did this well here but it’s not easy and n00bs will screw it up more often than not. They should get the other three down pat first.

[email protected]: the color and pattern mixes are all fine. But the bow tie is too small. It’s too narrow both side to side and top to bottom. It’s like an afterthought, or else a big bug that landed there. I want to make another point. This will piss off the bow tie crowd but oh well. Look at that acre of shirt front. I really think bow ties look better with vests.

CEP @477: these are all quite good. The way the square is folded in the second pic is bad though. One point I want to make: First, really, try the FIH. It may tie a smaller knot but so what. Second, if you continue to do the double wrap, please take care not to show the inside loop so ostentatiously.

[email protected]: yeah, I think a lighter tie would work, though pale blue would be too matchy with that shirt.

[email protected] OK, I know spoo has a lot of fans, and I am sure he is the salt of the earth, but I have to be honest here, though I will endeavor not to be mean.

Macro comment: he seems always to be close but no cigar. His individual pieces are generally good, sometimes even great, but the way he puts them together is consistently off.

1: a very nice tie that I would happily buy. A very nice shirt with a well-fitting collar. Shirt & tie together are unimpeachable. They would go with a whole range of very nice suits. But then he takes this super-suity combo and wears it with an odd jacket. It’s just … off. And the jacket itself, I will explain elsewhere why patterned linen sucks, but it does.

Second pic: better. BUT I am not loving the purple tie with the white shirt. It’s not terrible. It’s not optimal. Perhaps if the purple were darker it would work better. A very pale blue shirt would be nice, as would cream, or pale pink. The square is cheeseball.

3rd: best of the three. Quite nice actually, except for the way the square matches the shirt almost exactly, as if they were sold as a pair.

Axelman @ 490: the suit looks brown on my monitor, but I know the fabric (indeed I am wearing it now) so if I close my eyes I can see that everything looks good except the square, which you should ditch. Send it to stitch to burn on the funeral pyre of all his crappy black ties.

Nay @ 491: love it except for the square. Not that I don’t like the square but I don’t like it with that.

Stitch: yes, you are getting closer. My critique would be, that is a very dull green paired with a very dull gray, which is also close in tone, and makes the whole look rather flat. Also, what kind of an idiot wears a flannel jacket in this weather?

Foo @ 497: that’s a tie that, IMO, needs a white shirt, or at the very least a solid shirt. I do love the tie, though, and the shirt and the suit. But I don’t like the geometric square.

Nay @ 531: I am liking your tie WAY more in that pic. Very nice.

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

yes, that is true. but these are all things i bought before, certainly my decision making process in the future will be different. i am now on a staple mission indeed.

that being said, i would still buy this particular jacket. i think its nice, it will prove to be very useful, and i like it a lot.

inorite.

thanks gdl, you have made my day.

5. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

I thought this thread was about good taste, not about diffcult/easy. Bad shoes ruin outfits more than bad squares. I mean that in general. :)

6. in stitches

i like the tie much better now.

Foofed: Spoiler-ed the image.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2012
  7. in stitches

glad im on the right track.

i wonder why it comes off as gray in pics? its decidedly brown. ill try and get a better picture.

the answer to your question is, a very special kind. also, its unlined and actually very light weight. i think its a wonderful SC. :)

8. in stitches

Not perfect, but i think this better represents the SC and tie. Does this make any bit of difference to some of the feedback of foo, whnay, umber, ed, or manton?

[​IMG]

9. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I don't hate your squares. I just have a weird thing about how they are stuffed. I'm not into the monkey paw thing, but then I'm not into angry jesters either, and people seem to love those.

Nobody even comes close to liking this outfit without eliminating at least 25% of it. A certified FooFail. It's so off, apparently, that Ed contemplated whether I was wearing a forest green gabardine suit.

I understand. You want to know that I bleed so that you can kill me.

It doesn't change anything. That cloth, which looks like flannel whether it is or not, is totally wrong for the season, and should never be made into an odd jacket to begin with.

10. in stitches

ah well, i tried. i still like it though. unlike some of my other stuff, this one is a keeper for me. :)

11. forex

forex Senior member

Is the brown suit with patch hip pockets or flap?

Foofed: Spoiler-ed the image.

12. eg1

eg1 Senior member

Regarding suede in summer, would desert boots (crepe sole) also be an exception? Not that I would wear them with wool trousers, you understand.

13. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Well, I am not into boots for summer, but crepe soles are definitely summery ...

14. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think crepe soles are disgusting.

15. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

Are you sure you are talking about real crepe rather than that brick stuff? Real gum rubber crepe is actually very good for winter as it is a great insulator in snow and damp (which is why it is used, in a thick sole, on the Alden All-Weather Walkers). If you mean the red stuff commonly used on white or tan bucks or saddle shoes, that is definitely summery (though saddle shoes can be made for multiple seasons).
    eg1: Desert boots are for summer - the crepe is thin and the boots are supposed to be unlined. There is no reason you couldn't wear the darker colored ones other times of the year, though.