whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

Geez, don't tell the Hobers.

Great reading Foo- seriously, u should team with Vox and send a manuscript to Harper Collins- your words, Vox pics

2. sprout2

sprout2 Senior member

What is the taxonomy of repp ties in terms of utility and taste? I have avoided repps forever because the Anglo/American connotation doesn't resonate with my upbringing, but I am starting to see how, used sparingly, they have some utility for sporty ensembles.

I submit a range of stripe categories:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I understand, more or less, A through D. I am interested in talking mainly about spacing and width rather than number of stripes or color, so ignore that. I realize that any of the above configurations could come with double stripes, triple stripes, or other contrasting combinations.

A is the standard-bearer; C is a bit much for me but I see how it could work. B seems to have a bit of an identity crisis but is seen often enough that I think it's an accepted width. D, with fine stripes, is something that could passably worn with dress suitings if in silk. Ignore the lineny appearance. What I'm really stuck on is Exhibit E. What use is this stripe width? I assume something casual in summer, but it seems rather bold. Can E be worn well, if at all?

Explication via photos would also be great. Thanks.

3. Greggers

Greggers Well-Known Member

Wait, what?

The shoulders seem to square up nicely. The length is good. The chest doesn't bow. The bottom half splays a little, but his arm on the mantelpiece is pulling it open a tad. The waist is only modestly shaped, but it doesn't look sloppy.

I don't get it. I may just be a random lurker, but I have to ask: What gives?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013

4. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

I can't see much wrong with the fit of that jacket...

5. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

To what extent would the fit be screwed up by the rather unnatural pose? (Bending backwards, etc.)

Also, I don't think this is a Russell plaid. In a Russell, there are only one or two horizontal lines, in a different density than the vertical lines, as I understand it.

[​IMG]

6. clapeyron

clapeyron Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

yes, jeans and nubuk...

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013

7. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I don't usually dress with the specific aims of this thread in mind, so have little to usually contribute. But today I had to style a jacket, and that of course did mean attempting to work within something approaching good taste parameters. This was tricky, as the jacket's pattern falls outside some of those parameters. Still, I had to try, and I wonder what Foo & others would say about the result. Assume, I suppose, grey trousers in an appropriate shade to co-ordinate with the jacket. Items used in the fit are all from my wardrobe, so I think it's fair game for the thread even if I'm not wearing it in the pic.

(click to enlarge)

[​IMG]

8. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

HF, I think the tie is too stark for the rest. It seems like the odd man out.

9. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

I actually agree--it is a bit incongruous, both in coloring and in formality.

That said, I love all the different parts. The collar on that shirt is awesome--deets?

10. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Thanks fellas. The logic of the tie was an attempt to centre the outfit. The jacket has such an unusual windowpane that I wanted something to pull the eye back to the middle to counteract the jacket's boldness. The little dots in the tie actually have some tiny blue, pink and brown-ish colours at the centre of some of them, so I hoped that would key into the shirt/jacket/square and not seem too out of place. But I may have gone too much towards a heavy centre, I suppose. Interesting!

aravenel - the shirt is a (very old) Zegna. I tend to prefer a stiffer and slightly higher collar so haven't worn it in years. The fit isn't great on me either. It actually just lives permanently on the tailor's dummy these days, waiting occasional items. It's a good background colour & fabric (it has a very faint twill weave) for displaying other stuff against it.

11. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Dark (brown suede...) shoes will help balance it out.

12. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

13. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

you would say that, now wouldnt you. :)

14. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I wouldn't worry about the taxonomy. Unless you're in the UK, stripes can be worn with anything. The question is how well the colors and density of the pattern fit into your outfit. I'd wear any of the above with a suit to the office--so long as they match right.

15. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

The collar looks loose. It could be the way he's standing, but it looks to sit very low and open around his neck. Also there looks to be zero shaping around the chest.