• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I met up with some style forum guys the other night. I believe Matt was invited, but had to cancel. On my way there I bought a cream silk square to switch out in front of him in case he showed up for a good laugh. Alas, my folded linen remained.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Charvet used to have a perfect specimen. Sadly, the little annex at Bergdorf no longer has them. Maybe in Paris . . .

mebbe, hermes? :)

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I met up with some style forum guys the other night. I believe Matt was invited, but had to cancel. On my way there I bought a cream silk square to switch out in front of him in case he showed up for a good laugh. Alas, my folded linen remained.

Dang. That would have been a good one. Would have loved the hear the reactions of everybody present had it happened.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

:laugh: sounds good, who was in attendance? feel free to PM or text me if you dont want to say here.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

......Here's the easiest way to not stumble: avoid patterns you'd see on a tie, and find something in a subdued, classic color that has a simple graphic geometric pattern or a large-scale baroque scene. Dark green, maroon, chocolate brown, navy, etc., are good base colors. Gold and red are good for accents.
And as I always say: cream silk should be your go-to when in any doubt.
Foo, how does a dot (White on Navy) square qualify? I tend to use it with solid, mostly navy odd jackets. Thanks

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Navy-grounded square with a navy odd jacket? Sounds very iffy.

I say to avoid squares with tie patterns because: (1) you don't need many squares (I have fifty and wear only five of them), and (2) they are very limiting to what sorts of ties pair well.

But that is not to say it cannot be done successfully. If you're wearing a dotted tie, just make sure you don't wear it with dot-type patterned tie. The problem a ton of ties so patterned (for example, anything with little floral medallion pattern counts, as they are essentially dots). Instead, try a striped or solid tie.

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not actually a fit picture -- but what do people think about flapped patch pockets (with an inverted pleat) on a donegal coat, particularly for the shorter in stature.

I was almost set on getting those pockets, till I saw this below. Not sure if it's just me, but do the pockets look out of proportion (apart from the functionality bit)?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_YbzoZuWX2...Q/B6QDBM6yow8/s1600/Huntsman+tweed+suit+3.JPG

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:lurk:

i dont hate the pattern, but dont love it. pockets seem huge, and would like better with regular pants legs.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We didn't do an SF-approved shoe circle. Therefore I query as to whether the meet up ever really happened.

im still mad u guise did not invite me. wasnt even on shabbos neither.

CaymanS

Reaction score
TweedInTheCity needs to have a store that carries exactly one item: the perfect cream silk square, with silk hand-selected by Foo and edges finished by Vanda Fine Clothing.

It would literally break the internet in half and there would be two internets from that day forward.

Axelman 17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am just going to keep posting this until Matt Foo's me.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
matt foo, the new kung foo.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads