1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Also, this thread was specifically created to talk about the combining of different items, not how they fit. This may or may not have been to accommodate Manton's lack of skill as a photographer. There are plenty of other places on the forum to talk about fit.

Also a reminder for ms and others: Spoilers are your friend. Follow Elegantly Wasted's excellent example.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  2. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

A reminder.

1 person likes this.
  3. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

Actually no, wrong sport. They got the idea from the shirts worn by polo players at a match in the UK, hence the name "polo collar".

4. VictorSFreturn

VictorSFreturn Senior member

Many of the pictures I do myself with a tripod. It's not hard! [​IMG]

5. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

Thanks for the BD history break-down, guys.

6. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I don't have a tripod, a real digital camera, or enough time before I leave for work to do all this. I suspect that is true for many others as well.

7. VictorSFreturn

Do what you want, it's your right.

I just warn you:

If you just blindly copy a combination of a tie, jacket, shirt,
    but will not be at the same time to know and be able to combine these other things, and will not pay attention to a good fit, quality and appropriateness of sewing clothes for your figure -

then you end up with can be very bad, inappropriate clothing or bag sitting tight as a drum, hideous shoes and accessories, in ill-fitting suits and trousers, but with the perfect blend of colors tie shirt fabric jacket ...

You need it?

I am sure that is not!

Obviously, all the important aspects.

Therefore to consider a combination of a tie, shirt and jacket only, provided that you know how to sit on your clothes, and you know how to find all of the quality and appropriate options, and be able to combine the elements of all things worn, not just three.

Just do not be offended, but I often see - not a good option in full growth, with ill-fitting clothes.
    But with a good "neck area." [​IMG]

And though the "neck area" - gorgeous and beautiful - full overview - very sad ...

I said everything.

Your right to listen, or to continue to engage in self-deception: "Look how cool I look, when I take off on an area of 15 by 15 inches!"

Only now surrounding perceive you not in parts, but the whole.

A fully, frequently, and unfortunately - not very good.

Just think, and give you the God of reason!

Bye! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  8. Elegantly Wasted

Elegantly Wasted Senior member

4 people like this.
  9. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

An iPhone 3GS and:

Lesson: In a professional studio with thousands of dollars of lights, and the efforts of a professional photo retoucher, you, too, can take a decent photo with your phone for your clothing forum buddies.

2 people like this.
  10. sugarbutch

He isn't right at all. If he doesn't like the organizing principle of the thread, he can post in WAYWRN.

I have a real camera and a tripod. I've taken a few fit pics with them, too. It's a pain in the ass. Ultimately, I don't care enough about all you people to do this on a regular basis.

2 people like this.
  11. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Everyone TV-folds a white linen square. Does that mean you are copying someone else's style by doing the same? No.

The "FooPuff" is as elemental and basic as it gets. If you must lean toward haphazard chaos or contrived complication to avoid it, something is wrong. Forget that I'm the one attached to it. The merits are real and substantive.

1 person likes this.
  12. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

The reason why we focus on color and pattern matching between select elements (tie, shirt, jacket, etc.) is not because the other things don't matter. It's because they are the most basic things most frequently done poorly.

2 people like this.
  13. Elegantly Wasted

A google search would return plenty of excellent galleries taken with non-DSLRs. (Bing would too)

14. VictorSFreturn

The same good figure.

People have often said, what they say I look good in clothes.

And what I was given to my figure just like that?

I have many, many years shed sweat, blood and tears in the gym.

And I know - the figure - this is my contribution, which I earned, but not received the gift.

While others were drinking beer lazily watching television and eating huge portions of food, and as a result increased their body.
    At the time I get up early in the morning, that would make a run or go to the gym.
    And it was just as hard as everyone. I would also like to sleep, eat and relax.
    But I knew it was worth it!

As in everything else.

And most importantly, once again, you just have to think and to know "how to do", and be able to work - "to do".

Recipe - simple. [​IMG]

15. VictorSFreturn

I agree. This argument is accepted. [​IMG]

16. sugarbutch

You are insistently missing the point.

17. Elegantly Wasted

I am not.

People (not especifically you) blame cameras for their own poor skills. (And if you "shed sweat, blood and tears" learning to take half-decent pictures, then your results are due to your good/expensive/newer/better/shinier camera.)

Taking pictures in the controlled environment that one's house is, is easier than people think. It just requires a little preparation.

2 people like this.
  18. VictorSFreturn

[​IMG]

19. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I am not just blaming my camera. A lot of it probably is my own poor skill. But what am I going to do, take photography classes so I can take better pictures and post on SF?

3 people like this.