Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yeah, Foo, something seems off there. That tie looks like a straight wedding tie, and I tend to not like those out of context. That square looks like it's a cheap silk plaid tartan or something weird like that. It may be the way it's folded, or the part you're showing, but it's just looks strange in the pics.

I do like the tie fine, just not in that combo - the shirt and suit and great.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012

2. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Still not my favorite, why haven't you thrown the square away?

3. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

But stitches, I think the fundamental point is that buying oddball things like that jacket is the most expensive mistake you can make. Regardless of whether it is actually cool enough to wear, it does not look summer appropriate and is a stylistic, thematically bizarre (a flannel-esque odd jacket in a solid putty color, lined or not, is a very weird thing).

I revert to the advice I've given you before: concentrate on acquiring classic staples. Don't buy "interesting" things at this point. Don't buy just because it was a "good deal."

4. mafoofan

That atrocious huh? I never imagined it would give rise to such disgust.

Another data point: it's from Paul Stuart.

5. mafoofan

Apparently, the square plain sucks.

On the tie: I do not buy so squarely into the notion that what we call "wedding ties" can only be worn to weddings. I think "wedding tie" is a great term to use, because they are so appropriate for weddings that are short of black tie, but I've never heard anyone outside the forum call them such. They are just more formal ties.

6. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

I snapped this yesterday but forgot to post. It at least provides more depth to the color contrasts that I think work pretty well...

[​IMG]

7. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

:(

its not your computer, its mine. That suit is green garbadine though right?

8. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Foo, if you Foof that Tom Ford-ish square out of the pics, we need never speak of it again.

9. mafoofan

Bill, I think the combination is still a stretch. Strictly color-wise, it's not unworkable, though very difficult. The deeper issue confronting you is mixed-up contexts. I love your brown suit and think it's a great idea for a summer suit, but I'd wear such a suit in the summer precisely to take advantage of colors I'd typically wear in cooler weather, and when I don't want to look so overtly "summer." It is a autumn/winter-colored suit made appropriate for summer due to its cloth type, but that doesn't magically convert the color itself into a summer color.

In contrast, the tie is most definitely a summer-colored tie. It needs a summer-colored suit to makes sense with it.

10. mafoofan

Charcoal. :)

11. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

It's a pity we don't see shoes (and total shots) in this thread. I realize it's harder to do that, but still.

12. Baron

Baron Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have been so prescriptive with my comment. I think my reaction to your tie in that pic is instinctive - I just don't like the pairing there - but I think formal ties can work in other contexts. It might be the shirt that throws it off.

13. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Yes, this works.

14. mafoofan

I sort of agree, but mostly don't. Pairing shoes is markedly easier than getting your suit/shirt/tie/square right. I like the focus.

Well, you aren't the only one who just plain doesn't like the outfit. Like I said: FooFail. :(

I just don't see why you guys need to be so hurtful with the name-calling. Charles Tyrwhitt? Tom Ford? Come on. I have feelings.

15. R.O. Thornhill

R.O. Thornhill Senior member

Foo - some great points, in particular emphasising the importance of texture variation

I think one of the reasons #2 works the best is the contrast in texture between the suit and the tie (is it cashmere).

I find texture contrast much easier in winter - when you can introduce flannel, cashmere - but in a CBD more of a challenge in summer. Lightweight worsted suits, poplin shirts and printed silk ties are all very similar in texture. What you can do is to introduce linen-cotton shirts or ties in linen or shantung, but this is not always business appropriate

What are your suggestions for summer CBD texture variations?

R-O-T