1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Loathing

Loathing Senior member

I don't mean to piss on your sand castle, but if you think style & taste are subjective or personal, aren't you in the wrong thread?

2. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

oh i see, im daft for not agreeing with someone else. that is perfectly ok. good to know.

i will spell it out then.

the swastika has become the symbol for the nazis, who systematically and brutally tortured and murdered millions and millions of people in an attempt to purify the human race. that is about a great an oversimplification as i can think of, but this is not the place for as essay on nazis.

that being said, that is the connotation of the swastika. for me, its a heavy word, not one that is thrown about lightly, simply to make an example of why wearing a yellow cap is unstylish and should be avoided by people who dont want the association that comes with it.

the more that that term, and terms like that, are used as frivolous anecdotes, the cheaper the meaning of the word. that is something that many many people find to be abhorrent. its not about the analogy being non-sensical, its about having the respect not throw around words that literally make people cringe when they hear it, as it may be a reminder to them of their own family members that were senselessly murdered by the truck full. its a word that belongs imo, in the most serious of relevant conversations alone.

that is my stance, and its the last i will say on the topic.

no, you keep bringing it up. i said it once, and apologized for it many times. not only that, i have even explicitly stated that i understand why you prefer to avoid certain associations, and respect it, merely that they are not associations that bother me personally.

you made an analogy to illustrate your point that i find offensive. i have explained above exactly why. as i said above, that is not going to change.

on the principle of association avoidance, i think we fully agree on the idea, its only what we personally choose to do that differs. as well, you think the swastika is merely an academic word that may be used at whim as an example for any conversation that discusses associations with a symbol, i strongly disagree. i think that about sums it up, and that is all i have to say on the matter.

no hard feelings.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  3. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

Golly. So there's a universally-agreed opinion (heck, let's make that, universal on this thread) on whether the inclusion of a specific item will make or break one's style quotient?

In the post immediately preceding your query as to why I keep on bringing up your 'foolishness' point (like I am doing right now), I did so to emphasize my point which is:

Is the bringing up of your 'foolishness' comment meant to be the central point of this quotation above? I think not. Rather, the emphasis is on: 'I was dealing with the premise of your point.'.

And that 'foolishness' comment (I'm bringing it up again) is used to clarify what I mean lest I be mis-quoted and mis-represented.

4. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

No worries. More of a concrete castle at this juncture. :D

I do in fact think of taste and style as inherently subjective. Thus, I am hesitant to issue blank refusals or judgement. I used to be quick to do that (back when I was simply reciting the "rules" rather than realizing their use in the context of my life), but not so much now. That's not to say that there aren't blatant displays of things I immediately hate, I'm just not someone (in my own mind) to say something is objectively incorrect. Advice? Sure. Insight? Absolutely. Chiding? Not so much.

The interesting part is that I agree with most every "tasteful" example placed here. My proclivities match what is discussed or agreed upon here almost 100% of the time. However, just because my tastes align with those mentioned here doesn't mean that what strikes my fancy is the only acceptable way one can conduct themselves.

5. in stitches

very well. still, like i said above, there are essentially 2 points where we disagree and that is not going to change. i think we can leave it at that yes?

6. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

Fair enough. Disagreements between men are part and parcel of differences between human beings.

Though at a broader level, there's a school of thought which holds that moral truth is not subjective.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_relativism

7. Balfour

Balfour Senior member

Wow. This thread needs some tender ministrations from a Dub.Hon.

3 people like this.
  8. Ivar

Ivar Senior member

I think you're being silly, hypersensitive, and borderline anti-intellectual. By this reasoning, you could take umbrage at almost any historical comparison.

9. Willin

Willin Senior member

Sooo about those fits that are in good taste...

10. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

RDiaz had a nice one earlier. I like the bold blue of the tie. In my opinion, still in good taste, but adding some visual interest. Nicely done.

11. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

I don't see anything wrong with this combination. Given my sartorial knowledge, that might mean that the problem is me. Any feedback would be appreciated. It's difficult to see in the small photo, but if you click on it you can see that the tie has a neat pattern of purple circles.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  12. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

manton does not like tattersalls, but I'm not sure that makes it bad taste...

13. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

I didn't know that. Has he gone into why on here? I happen to like tatersalls more than I liked white shirts and crimson ties (two things he swayed my opinion on), but I'm curious to hear what he has to say. I should probably buy his book.

14. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

not sure why, but maybe he was just referring to the larger scale tattersalls...

15. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

I'm recalling something about not liking patterned shirts where there's much more ground than pattern (for example, white shirts with a fine blue stripe or vice versa), and tatersalls certainly fail that. It doesn't bother me, though I do find shirts with uneven stripes are tough to pair with ties.

16. in stitches

i could equally accuse you of being obtuse, lacking sensitivity, and being borderline callous to genocide. point being, you can respectfully disagree without the name calling. i think we can lay this to rest now.

17. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

FWIW, I do like tattersalls with tweed, though the smaller the checks, the better..

1 person likes this.
  18. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

That is excellent, but the wool tie with tweed and tattersall is very country and might look better with a less fuzzy tie, especially if you are not spending your days drinking beer at the country pub. As is, it is very mannered and would work best in that specific setting. Outside that setting, a little variation would be better.

19. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

It amazes me how many people (particularly in this thread) seem not to like certain things because they think it has been Pittified. Very few of you have actually been to Pitti and the personas you think kill certain looks are mainly visible through the Internet (unless you happen to live in Italy). This whole anti-double monkstrap is one of them. Would I wear EG Westminsters to a board meeting (not that I go to any)? No. But to categorically discount them as a useful or desirable shoe in a rotation as in "poor taste" or not good enough taste for this thread is a bit ridiculous. For a day in the office with a suit where no one else gives a fuck or out about town in a sport coat and trousers for people not just living in the Internet is in perfectly good taste.

2 people like this.
  20. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Thank you. I wish that was my day, but alas. I though about wearing a burgundy wool knit, which would have been much less fuzzy, but I thought that might be too warm with this shirt. Do you think the tie would work as the most country tough with something more "city" -- say, a gray checked worsted suit, a solid blue shirt, and some kind of subtle paisley square?