whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

I understand. But take that picture of Beppe (sorry, don't know his last name): he wears dark grey pants, red socks and suede shoes, and looks smashing. I wouldn't be convinced by a description of what he wears, at all.

(I'm not saying that combination will look smashing on anyone.)

2. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

Beppe doesn't need a last name. Only people who are subject to laws need a full name.

Edit: Nevermind. Jesus was subjected to laws.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013

3. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

:rotflmao:

4. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Since nearly all cloth nowadays is made with worsted yarns, in my experience that term has evolved into a descriptor for hard finished plain weaves or twills.

If I told a tailor I wanted a worsted, I can't imagine he'd ever hand me a fresco or worsted flannel book.

5. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

Stylistically speaking, in law or otherwise, there are usually exceptions to a principle. It's really about how cogently you articulate that exception, and if you're the one who's game enough, and succeeds.

Lovelace, you're quite right -- At the tailors, trousers are usually cut with break, and on the vertically challenged, a whisper of break. For those who do not visit the tailors, well, I don't really notice, but I haven't noticed either their socks or shoes. That probably speaks to the degree of break on their trousers.

6. Omar1223

Omar1223 Senior member

thats partly the reason, foo said charcoal pants dont work is because they look like orphaned suit pants.

also, foo you look great in that picture with you and MR.

7. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Beppe "just plain Beppe" Modenese used to design jewellery so that could largely explain his always wearing cufflinks.

But I'm with you - I'll occasionally wear FC with a blazer though not with other odd jackets.

8. Lovelace

Lovelace Senior member

That's been a wonderful series.

9. emptym

emptym Moderator Moderator

I agree that the guy in that pic looks great. But he's breaking quite a few rules beginners (incl me) ought to abide. In addition to the ones mentioned, I think the brown suede chukkas are a little discordant w/ the FC shirt, shiny tie and PS and the blazer. I'd wear the bottom half w/ an oxford shirt, tweed sport coat, and knit tie. But again, he looks great.

Hopsack is worsted. I just don't think people have that in mind when using the term.

The LE looks like flannel to me, but I think flannel comes in various degrees of fuzziness. Here's a pic of three flannels and a cavalry twill:
    [​IMG]

At center is the flannel blazer. I would call it woolen, but it isn't nearly as fuzzy as the Drapers flannel (light gray). It is much more fuzzy than the Daks pants in dark charcoal. The lighter charcoal pants are cavalry twill, just for comparison to show an obvious twill.

And to compare w/ some other weaves and shades of gray, here's the same four fabrics plus a Crispaire fresco (bottom left) and a worsted plain weave (top right).
    [​IMG]

10. etkl

etkl Senior member

Agreed. If youhaven't seen it, I'll let you know if this this is as good as the others. There is a certain amount of mystery and anticipation in seeing each one.

11. Lovelace

Lovelace Senior member

I've seen it. I'm British, it was shown here last year, about May-ish as I recall.

I've seen all of them. From 28up 'live' due to my age and the earlier ones when they have been repeated.

Britain has changed hugely since 7up was first broadcast, and as such its a unique social record.

It represents the power of film, and film at its very best.

I hope you enjoy it.

12. Carpalia

Carpalia Member

I have been reading the posts with interest...Looking back, I think most of the animus is against perceived tone and the absolutism rather than content.

That, and the notion that one's ideas are more correct due having some historical grounding.

13. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Yes, the "but again" part is what really matters. :) To me, at least.

14. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Man, you are real piece of work. I have two woolen flannel suits and two worsted flannel suits, none of which I assure you is anything other than RTW. I have three Harris tweed jackets, all of which are RTW. One of the suits I bought at Nordstrom. If you went to the sites of the mentioned retailers, you're unlikely to find these in their current collections because they're showing clothes for spring!

You seriously suggest that Brooks Brothers, J Press, Ralph Lauren, Hickey Freeman, ad nauseum are 1) not RTW and 2) not selling any flannel or Harris tweed? You have crawled so far into your bubble of bespoke that you've lost touch with reality.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

15. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

You're the one who said examples could be found at those websites, you dimwit. You didn't specify that a time machine was necessary to successfully execute the query.

Look for Harris tweed jackets at Brooks and Hickey. You are almost sure not to find them--certainly not reliably. Yes, I've looked in the past. J. Press always has them, but they are hardly reflective of mainstream retail. Ralph Lauren I am not familiar with.

You missed the point I was making to Doc, which was simply that the rarity of an item in RTW says nothing about its status as a classic staple. Medium and light grey woolen flannel suits are remarkably difficult to find at retail, even though that are surely classic as classic gets.