whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

Don't think so, mate.

Such a substitution would make the shirt and tie too close in tone, and have the effect of washing evreything out. Also, I believe Manton has dark hair and light skin, which means that high-contrast ensembles (e.g. light shirt, dark tie) are better for him.

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

3. R.O. Thornhill

R.O. Thornhill Senior member

Spoo - great contributions, but is #1 a patterned linen jacket?

What fabric is #2, really like it? Despite being a white-shirt agnostic I think that really works

Would have been inclined to go for a plain square for #3. Looks a little matchy

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Thanks -

#1 is a wool/silk/linen with a faint windowpane
    #2 is just a plain worsted plaid
    #3 totally agree on the square

5. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

CEP, I like your looks.

6. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Spoo, these are not bad. And though I'm sure others will disagree, I think #2 (the blue outfit) is your strongest effort of the three.

The other two, #1 and #3, are far from eye sores, but for the amount of resources they demonstrate you are able to put to use, they are disappointingly flat. This has been an issue with much of what you post. I have always said you have an excellent sense of color, and you typically do not fail to put together outfits that demonstrate it. This is a huge head start, as color sense is harder to pick up than anything else. The problem is that you tend to concentrate colors in a narrow range of saturation and leave huge gaps in the range of light contrast.

Take a look at #1. In terms of how well the colors are paired, this is nearly faultless--though I would have selected a better pocket square (picking up only the brown in the jacket is a bit rote and a lost opportunity to tie things together in a bigger way). However, you have exactly two levels of saturation in the outfit: one inhabited by the tie and jacket, the other by your square and tie. You could fix this by amping up the blue in the tie. Or, you could fix some other problems. The contrast range is similarly bifurcated (jacket/tie, shirt/square). Darkening the tie or lightening the jacket would do wonders. The color range is also rather limited: brown, blue, and nothing else. Brown and blue are excellent base colors in an outfit. I rely on them all the time. But you need something else so they don't appear so contrived.

#3 suffers from similar issues. Though the color selection is more dynamic (nice work with combining the shirt, square, and tie), it lacks textural range (lacking in #1, but not entirely absent). This has been a trend for you. Everything is too slick and smooth.

#2 is the best because you have partially compensated for a bifurcated contrast range by at least varying the colors at the dark end (purple tie, blue jacket, navy and red square). On top of that, pairing the purple in the tie with the blue and red in the square is a savvy move. The square is perhaps too close to the jacket (blue and blue), but varying pattern and texture between them mitigates the issue some. Finally, this is a much more texturally dynamic outfit than the other two--just please tell me it's a suit, and not an odd jacket.

At your worst, you look like a Zegna ad. Maybe that is not the absolute worst thing. But I hate it as a model and it is extremely frustrating because you can clearly do much better.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012

7. R.O. Thornhill

R.O. Thornhill Senior member

Where is plaid from? Bespoke or RTW?

R-O-T

8. Putonghua73

Putonghua73 Senior member

I've found this thread to be incredibly enlightening and instructional in terms of thinking not only of colour combinations (in which Spoo excels, and causes me immense envy) but also next level thinking in terms of texture, contrast and saturation. I recently bought staples (whites / blues) and started wearing ties with a tailored RTW suit to get the basics down. I wore a charcoal suit with white poplin shirt and a purple tie, similar in colour to Spoo's.

The major differences (beyond quality, obviously) is texture and saturation in Spoo's tie in contract with mine. I really like the woven knit texture, and seeing pictures in conjunction with critique is starting to develop my thought process to think more deeply about texture and saturation. Not to mention that the charity shop will be receiving another tie.

9. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

Spoo,

I really like the last one minus the edges of the square. Your effort to TITFD over the last year has paid dividends.

10. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Trying something slightly more ambitious: three patterns. Suit is Minnis fresco mid grey. I suspect some may object to the similarity in pattern between the square and the tie.

[​IMG]

11. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

12. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

it is a suit.

13. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Axel -
    I'm not loving that one. Neat on neat tie/pocket square pattern matching is very tough and fails here in my view. The tie probably shouldn't exist, although colors in the photo may be off. Replace the tie with a solid navy or maybe a dot pattern and I think you'd have an improvement.

14. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

CEP - I like 1 and 3.

You've got to do something about that tie knot on 4 - 7, double FIH?

15. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

This is what i am wearing today. Have i learned anything from the critiques on my older combinations? Am i any closer to good taste?

:)

[​IMG]