1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Leviticus 3:9

1 person likes this.
  2. RDiaz

RDiaz Well-Known Member

Oh, I get it now. The waistcoat prevents people from offering their fat to the Lord.

3. mcbrown

mcbrown Well-Known Member

Crocs are also well within the mainstream (no offense).

4. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

surprised to hear of vests in Spain, not really the weather for it.

5. mcbrown

Yes, I believe most of us agree with you. I think a large man in a (good) three piece suit actually looks much better than a skinny man in a three piece suit, hence my post of Taft. It projects a degree of gravitas and self-assurance that is just not easily faked. But that may be a minority opinion.

6. dopey

dopey Well-Known Member

Presumably . . . that is why Abel was able to offer a pleasing sacrifice with the fat of lambs, whereas waistcoat-wearing Cain was stuck with day-old produce. It is hard to see here, but - trust me - Cain is wearing a waistcoat:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  7. RDiaz

RDiaz Well-Known Member

Winter is definately chilly here.

8. CaymanS

CaymanS Well-Known Member

If you have a big belly and you're serious about looking good, neither a vest nor an expert bespoke tailor can make you look as good as a thin guy in a fused Hugo Boss suit.

I think that big men have fantasies about getting their trousers tailored such that the waist band sits at exactly the right spot and masks their belly and therefore they look smashing and dashing, etc.

No.

A big belly is a big belly. Before spending 5 racks a pop on bespoke, hire a trainer and get your eating under control.

Desu is the maximum level of "bigness" you can be without looking like a big cartoon in pinstripes.

And he has that sort of 'brick shithouse' build where he's not even fat so much as thickly built.

But the bottom line is that looking good is hard and a big belly makes it essentially impossible.

9. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Well-Known Member

Too busy talking about beer guts to get any love from manton I guess. =o(

10. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Well-Known Member

Most people discussing this are entirely missing the point. For some people the choice is not between being rotund in great clothes and being skinny in shitty clothes. The question at hand is, given your body type, what should you wear to make you look your best.

Some posters seem to prefer to flaunt their own youth or leanness at older and/or heavier men, which is pointless. FWIW, I have no dog in this fight as I'm 6'2 195, so not really skinny but not really heavy either. But I don't see the point of telling heavier guys to just go lose 50 pounds before they even think about clothes if they have no desire or ability to change their weight.

6 people like this.
  11. mcbrown

Speak for yourself. I think Taft looked great. As did Churchill and many other famous gentlemen of less "athletic" build.

In a clothing forum, saying that fat guys should focus on losing weight is only marginally more relevant than saying short guys should focus on growing taller.

3 people like this.
  12. RDiaz

RDiaz Well-Known Member

A fat man might not look healthier, but he sure as hell may look better...

It's not about "hiding" that big belly or making a fat man look like a perfectly built mannequin, which is impossible. The goal is to make everything look proportioned and presentable.

Oh, and the silhouette of Hugo Boss suits is rather ugly. No one looks good in them, even young and fit folks.

1 person likes this.
  13. clapeyron

clapeyron Well-Known Member

have you ever been to the north west of Spain? Visit Salamanca during January. Don't forget your snow shoes.

But when has climate ever prohibited someone from wearing a three piece suit. One of the few things I learned in Hong Kong.

Regarding vests.I believe vests are great to hide a belly but I stand with my point that they look out of place on the younger crowd or the very young looking crowd such as myself.

Every piece of clothing looks best on physically fit people but that's no secret.

14. RDiaz

RDiaz Well-Known Member

You pulled off high-rise "old fogey pants" rather well - I don't think a vest would look bad on you. Just don't wear it with a pocket watch, a monocle, a bowler hat and a cane [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. FlaneurNYC

FlaneurNYC Well-Known Member

Weight loss does little to make Boy George's bad choices look any better: [​IMG] He looks better, but the clothes... ?

1 person likes this.
  16. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Well-Known Member

I have to second that comment. I onw two Hugo Boss jackets... I want to get rid of them.

17. in stitches

in stitches Well-Known Member

18. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Well-Known Member

Just happen to be wearing a pair today:

[​IMG][​IMG]

5 people like this.
  19. RDiaz

RDiaz Well-Known Member

That's where pants should sit when worn with braces. I'm wearing mine at about the same height today. I'm 30, so I pass Clapeyron's old man filter too [​IMG]

20. Stugotes

Stugotes Well-Known Member

I think someone who wants to successfully wear a 3pc should not have a puny physical appearance (especially pencilneck and narrow shoulders). If avoided, it doesn't matter how young someone looks otherwise. It has to do with the commanding presence of a 3pc that a young/"weak" body couldn't compliment, imo.