whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Patrick R

Patrick R Senior member

Can I presume navy would have the same fault? If you kill navy and charcoal from your pant options, what are good staple colors to use?

2. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

S., regardless of how "fuzzy" you think the jacket is, it is a hard-finished worsted--not a handwoven tweed. That is not a matter of opinion. Also, "fuzzy" or not, the color and pattern are exceedingly meek for an odd jacket. So, yes, the critique most certainly applies.

Dark grey and charcoal are more formal colors for worsted suiting. Again, that is fact, not opinion. Hence, when you wear dark grey trousers like that, they look like they come from a suit since color is often the only thing to distinguish a pair of odd trousers from suit trousers.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013

3. mafoofan

Medium and light greys are most versatile in my experience. Also any manner of tan, brown, etc.

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

In a way, we are arguing the same thing. I'm glad we have a greater spectrum of options to consider, which is why I'm baffled people don't want to consider all of the options.

White was always an option ... except on the Interwebz.

5. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Is a navy odd jacket also meek?

So, all those ivy folks in charcoal J Press trousers were wrong the whole time? I'll be damned.

6. mafoofan

No, unless you are confusing what is ordinary with what is meek in context. In the context of an odd jacket, your faux tweed is meek. As a suiting, it would be fine. A navy blazer, done correctly, is what it should be. Your jacket is a naive bastardization.

I don't know who those "folks" are, but what J. Press sells is hardly infallible.

7. sugarbutch

What is it bastardizing? It seems there is no room in your world for an odd jacket with a bit of subtle pattern. 'Tis a pity.

You emphasize the wrong part of what I was saying. I'm talking about the people wearing them. You know, a historical basis for our current sartorial choices. The ivy tradition certainly qualifies as a valid antecedent of current classic tailored clothing, no?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2013

8. mafoofan

It's bastardizing in that your jacket is designed to echo a more defined and established form of odd jacket that you yourself appear completely unaware of. No, there is no room in my world for a faux tweed jacket with a subtle pattern. Just as there is no room for a green dinner suit. That's the world of classic menswear. The world you attempt to dabble in but don't understand. The point of this thread was originally to bring the language of that world back to Styleforum, but apparently it has failed since most of you don't even realize there's a language to learn.

This is Sparta?

As I stressed with Doc, historical examples exist for everything. The point of classic menswear is not to mimmic them, but to understand and learn from them.

9. sugarbutch

I am aware, and I'm okay with the echo. I don't agree that this is the equivalent of a green dinner suit. I think you do me a disservice to assert that I am unaware that there's a language.

10. clapeyron

clapeyron Senior member

quite good? given that I sneaked in a white shirt that's quite the compliment coming from :foo: =)

yes the last outfit has folded silk but it's vanda's kimono silk, shit's like 1mm in thickness. folds like french crêpe!

yes that's the bane of skinny lapels. thanks don draper.

I wish my weight would change for once, I've been 220 lbs forever now and desperately try to gain... metabolism like a hummingbird.

11. sugarbutch

You curse it now, but you should pray that you keep it.

12. mafoofan

Dude, then burn that jacket for a start. It is the equivalent of gibberish.

Didn't see a white shirt . . . I rescind everything I said.

Doesn't crêpe fold like shit too? Maybe you guys aren't understanding what I mean by not taking a fold well. No matter how thick the silk, it will not hold a sharp crease like linen. It will look rough, rumpled, disheveled, etc. That's how I was able to spot yours, even in such low resolution. It's an eyesore, truly.

13. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

I have one. I kinda like it.

It's white and I'll wear it with a heavy blazer or a flannel suit. It's formal enough for either of those occasions. I like the texture and it's ever-so slightly warmer for those rare occasions where I'm somewhat dressed up but outside for a bit.

If I got another, it would be blue-white striped.

I think that this is an instance in which etymology isn't a very good guide to current useage.

The casualness of an open collared shirt is more than enough to overwhelm the difference in formality between collar styles.

I generally dislike seeing collar points. So unless you have a GDLstyle cutaway buttondown, I actually prefer a spread collar in this instance.

Provided, of course, it's a spread collar that's firm enough to not crumple or fall down.

14. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

I've thought about getting some oxford shirts as a spread collar (somewhat point though for balance) to wear with suits and ties. Why not?

Foo - you mentioned before about checked oxfords. I have some from some fabrics Peter Lee has lying around. They are great.

15. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Well, I'm sure you hear it a lot, but be glad it's not the other way around. Would rather struggle to gain weight than keep it off...

Edit: SB beat me to it! +1 I guess?