• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Caustic Man: I think the tie would work well with conservative worsted or woolen flannel. I don't think you need a wool tie with this jacket, though. The contrast of texture with a silk (a less shiny silk, to be sure) would be great. The hank is not to my taste, but leaving that aside, it would work better with a more conservative/city look. I wouldn't pair it with that tie under just about any circumstance, though.

To finish on a positive note, I like the color combination. Even in the same colors, if that hank were in a wool/silk blend (sorry, Stitchy) instead of that juicy silk, it would be good.

I was hoping you would chime in. All good points. I hadn't thought of a blended PS.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Too monochromatic Stitch. White shirt doesn't make sense in this context.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It does in the monochromatic context, which was the intended context.

recondite

Reaction score

A robin egg blue or lilac shirt would take it to a different and I believe more attractive level, but then it would not be mono-chromatic or maybe, more correctly a-chromatic.

The severity of an a-chromatic black and white composition has it's purpose, no doubt.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

thanks for the feedback. i know NOBD really said this already, but to add some more context, im not sure if you had been reading WAYWRN before your latest return, but this was intentionally monochromatic. last time i did it with a gray striped shirt and the consensus was to go for white. so i did. and i think it is much better in this monochromatic vibe.

here is the full fit, not that it makes a difference per say.

It does in the monochromatic context, which was the intended context.

thanks! :nodding:

A robin egg blue or lilac shirt would take it to a different and I believe more attractive level, but then it would not be mono-chromatic or maybe, more correctly a-chromatic.
The severity of an a-chromatic black and white composition has it's purpose, no doubt.

correct. blue may have been more interesting, not better, just more interesting, but then it would not have been what i was trying to accomplish, which i think with the help of SB and NOBD, i accomplished quite well. if i may say so. ;)

Last edited:

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

thanks for the feedback. i know NOBD really said this already, but to add some more context, im not sure if you had been reading WAYWRN before your latest return, but this was intentionally monochromatic. last time i did it with a gray striped shirt and the consensus was to go for white. so i did. and i think it is much better in this monochromatic vibe.

it is ugly

here is the full fit, not that it makes a difference per say.

thanks! :nodding:

it made it worse

correct. blue may have been more interesting, not better, just more interesting, but then it would not have been what i was trying to accomplish, which i think with the help of SB and NOBD, i accomplished quite well. if i may say so. ;)

a light blue
would still have placed it
in the monochromatic spectrum
it would have been better than this

but overall it is still pretty bad.

shirt needs to be
a beefier fabric
to better compliment
the less formal tie
the poplin you have on
does not

and that coat
(you need to kill it with fire)
seems to be of a weight
more for sping
and clashes badly
(in terms of pattern and weight)
to the tie.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
T4

while i always enjoy
seeing you
here
i still have
to disagree
i do not think
it is ugly

you have made
me shed so
many
tears of
blood

but i guess
that is
what you
were hoping
for

we can still
be teh
freindz?

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
<3
always

while i hungrily
lick teh salty
and bitter
glistening
droplets

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IS, why do you always have to be friends with everyone?

But fwiw, he is your friend here, as in he gives good advice. I wouldn't necessarily burn the jacket, but he seems to be right about the seasonal inappropriate...ness. Whatever the right ending to that word is.

Also, I hope "per say" is not really an English (or American) expression.

recondite

Reaction score
correct. blue may have been more interesting, not better, just more interesting, but then it would not have been what i was trying to accomplish, which i think with the help of SB and NOBD, i accomplished quite well. if i may say so.
wink.gif

You did very well.

I actually have used the same idea for informal evening wear upon occasion of informal gatherings and events, even to the point of wearing black tie with suitable waistcoat or cummerbund and formal shirt with a fine black and white cashmere herringbone jacket I wear with black trousers. In effect, my dinner jacket is the black and white cashmere sport coat with a herringbone half the width you would normally expect on say a Harris tweed, although I do not wear tuxedo pants with silk ribbon, but just black worsted wool trousers with tiniest pattern of interest imaginable.

I always get compliments when I when the rig.

As something to consider, I have noticed that with lighter toned sportcoats, such as yours above and my black and white one, one presents a cleaner look or silhouette when tucking the pocket flaps to one's besom pockets. The shadows created by the flaps seem to be too much contrast for the tone of the jacket and disharmonious. Just an observation.

Well done!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
T4 is dead-on.

You guys need to be more willing to learn and less "but I like it."

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

^
<3
always

while i hungrily
lick teh salty
and bitter
glistening
droplets

=)

enjoy teh feast
but teh liver is
mine

for now

IS, why do you always have to be friends with everyone?
But fwiw, he is your friend here, as in he gives good advice. I wouldn't necessarily burn the jacket, but he seems to be right about the seasonal inappropriate...ness. Whatever the right ending to that word is.
Also, I hope "per say" is not really an English (or American) expression.

why do you care and why are you butting in. i do not have to be friends with everyone, but i enjoy being friendly with people whose conversation i enjoy.

as to this specific exchange, i already am friends with T4, that comment i made had context that he clearly understood. i was not literally asking a person with whom i am already friendly with if the fact that we do not share the same opinion on my jacket negates any previous friendship. i got that. he got that. you really did not need to get involved.

and of course, i appreciate his advice, as i do appreciate all the advice i receive. and while i agree with some of his technical points, i still think the fit was nice, and not incongruent.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

=)

enjoy teh feast
but teh liver is
mine

for now
why do you care and why are you butting in. i do not have to be friends with everyone, but i enjoy being friendly with people whose conversation i enjoy.

as to this specific exchange, i already am friends with T4, that comment i made had context that he clearly understood. i was not literally asking a person with whom i am already friendly with if the fact that we do not share the same opinion on my jacket negates any previous friendship. i got that. he got that. you really did not need to get involved.

and of course, i appreciate his advice, as i do appreciate all the advice i receive. and while i agree with some of his technical points, i still think the fit was nice, and not incongruent.

Hm, when I said you don't have to be friends with everyone, I didn't mean me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads