• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

NakedYoga

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Opposite of yesterday, light suit + dark tie. There's enough interest in everything else that I went with the simple square. Suit = cotton, shirt = linen-cotton, tie = silk, square = linen.

I really like this, although it's probably not something I would wear. I definitely wouldn't wear it for my type of conservative business dress, but I think it goes together very well and is a "soft" look, if that makes any sense.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Opposite of yesterday, light suit + dark tie. There's enough interest in everything else that I went with the simple square. Suit = cotton, shirt = linen-cotton, tie = silk, square = linen.

Excellent. White linen square used appropriately and to great effect.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

This is fantastic. My only hesitation is the square, but everything else is great.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of the tie pattern. Seems rather boring. Was that the point?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Not a fan of the tie pattern. Seems rather boring. Was that the point?

Its a classic macclesfield, and I think its great. What would your suggestion be?

coolpapa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, that would work - there is a 8/9 oz in the Smith's book.
I might have to get in on that action. I have a cotton khaki suit and I find fresco >>>> cotton, at least for my purposes.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Very nice, Manton. I wore a tan cotton suit to a spring wedding and almost wore a linen shirt similar to yours, but with darker blue stripes, but then opted for poplin in pastel checks. The tie was pale blue linen tie with a hit of yellow woven threw the cloth. I suppose it was self consciously Eastery, but it was that time of year, and more of a weekend look.

I found a single bad picture of it, not sure if you can gather much from this.

viewer-1.jpg

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Very nice, Manton. I wore a tan cotton suit to a spring wedding and almost wore a linen shirt similar to yours, but with darker blue stripes, but then opted for poplin in pastel checks. The tie was pale blue linen tie with a hit of yellow woven threw the cloth. I suppose it was self consciously Eastery, but it was that time of year, and more of a weekend look.

viewer-1.jpg

Let me be the first to say that's a dapper young man.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who made you tan suit? Is it cotton?

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Also, found these. Still barfsome?
97c4135a-c885-80b5.jpg

97c4135a-c8cc-3d2a.jpg

And foo, not sure this makes any difference, but the coloring in the previous set of pics made the purple tie and overcheck look much more matchy than they were. This is a better representation. Better, same or worse?
97c4135a-c840-3010.jpg

Does photo # 1 violate the SF injunction against necktie/beard matching?

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

viewer-1.jpg

sorry baron, but your kid is crushing you in this pic. really sweet pic too, im sure he keeps you on your toes.

Does photo # 1 violate the SF injunction against necktie/beard matching?

:laugh: never heard that rule.

TexasDan

Reaction score

Would a lighter shade blue tie work as well?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads