1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Hampton

Hampton Senior member

+ 1

2. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

alright. the picture in my head was incorrect.

now, i wait for your experience report. thanks for clarifying.

3. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

Can we please not make this a fritzl shoe thread? :confused:

4. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

I agree with Moo - let's keep on topic guys. Otherwise the delete hammer will be swung...

5. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

6. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Damn SB, great contribution. Others will disagree but I really like #1 and #2.

7. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

Can you guys start wearing plain white linen squares so your fit stop sucking? I'll let you know when you're good enough to get your other squares out. Thanks.

8. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

What's not to like? I like 3 best and 1 is close.

9. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

#1 is pretty good. My only complaint is that the cream motif in the square is slightly repetitive of the white dots in the tie--not because they are both the same-shaped motif, but because they are both dotted (even if not both actual dots).

#2 through #4 I don't like. #2 and #3 suffer from having pocket squares matched to closely to their shirts. The tie in #2 also clashes with the shirt--too close in saturation. I mostly blame the shirt. That slightly darker blue is hard to wear. I don;t like the square in #4--again repeating the dotting in the tie.

#5 is okay. Though I'd prefer to see something other than a plain white linen square. If you want to keep the square, I'd swap in a blue-on-white patterned shirt.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  10. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

11. mafoofan

Ouch. While pocket square fail is the most common fail, I don't think you can just sub in a white linen one and expect to solve everything. Like white shirts, white squares are not nearly as universally applicable as many might think. They tend to look terrible with solid shirts, whether white or blue.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  12. TM79

TM79 Senior member

I like the tie in #3, SB - who makes it?

13. oldog/oldtrix

oldog/oldtrix Senior member

I've worn the same combination, only inside-out, or upside down, or maybe sideways:

[​IMG]

Foofed: Spoiler-ed the quoted image. Everyone, please spoiler these on your own so we don't clog up the thread. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2012
  14. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

Sugarbutch, I think all these are great. I like 1 and 2 best.

15. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

thumbs up

16. Fuuma

Fuuma Senior member

I honestly like them with everything, what is more t I generally hate the "let's add a colour to complete the spectrum" technique you guys are using, preferring something close to another element in the fit, say a blue ps w. a blue tie (obviously not the same blue at all), the way you guys do it, it just looks like those leather bars gay sex codes and is visually jarring. I just know that if I had to deal with tie/shirt/ps/suit/shoes and was concerned with colour, pattern and texture (as you are), I'd remove one constraint by going for white linen. I am of course caricaturing as I found many of the matches posted here to be visually pleasing, although maybe overcomplicated by including too much colour for my arguably personal taste.

The series of MC thread has influenced me in dressing menswear-ish today (navy blazer + blue stripped bd+white linen square+apc raw+tan suede clarks), however wearing coloured squares often is where I draw the poofy line.

1 person likes this.
  17. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

+1. i think i like 4 the best. not sure why, i just find it pleasing to the eye.

18. mafoofan

To be fair, I'm not sure anyone else is really towing the "fill-in the spectrum" line other than me. Also, I would never match a blue square to a blue shirt like you suggest.

Did you think my outfits were that bad? Interested in your feedback. Probably too much color--though I think I am less elaborately colorful than many, if not most.

19. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

My approach with squares (going back to how my dad taught me to dress and how to wear a pochette) is closer to what Fuuma is saying than to the "add a color" approach. I intuitively pick a square that picks up a minor color in the tie or shirt, or that is of a different gradations of a color already there.

Then again, probably 50% of the time, there's already a square in the breast pocket, I take a look and think "eh, good enough".

I do not subscribe to the white square theory though - I think those rarely look good with anything that's not uber-CBD in an old banker/lawyer kind of way, because it just adds a layer of formality that more often than not I'm trying to avoid. If anything, I like my square to soften the overall CBD look, not make me look stiffer.

20. mafoofan

Interesting.

Also, filling in the spectrum is not the same as adding color. At least, not in my take.