1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

@Foo or @Manton...using Stitches (sorry Stitch) gray houndstooth SC being too 60's and limited usefulness, is it because of the pattern, color, or both? I have something similar in Olive/tan/blue/dark blue color; been matching with Bengal and End-on-End shirts to simplify. Any additional shirt pattern (and tie) pairing suggestion? definitely no white shirt for me on this one
    [ATTACHMENT=5352]509.jpg (3,490k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

also, for a charcoal Herringbone SC [ATTACHMENT=5353]512.jpg (3,474k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]
    , again very limited pairing with blue shirts (stripes and solid) and sometimes white OCBD at night. Also looking for pairing suggestions other than blue..

Thanks in advance

2. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Ahh yes. Forgot about the inner workings. I'm fine to add the top buttons if need be. Will first wear it this Spring / Summer to see how it feels / looks.

3. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Here, smooth out the sides and add the buttons; then you have perfection:

[​IMG]

7 people like this.
  4. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Thanks Foo.

While I'm the sort of stylistically challenged type who appreciate and occasionally wear all solids,

[​IMG]

I also know that's it not of the specific species of 'good taste' as defined by this thread.

Within those parameters, I feel this random Italian's fit could actually benefit from some pattern in the tie and/or shirt, probably because the coat isn't loud enough:

[​IMG]

while this next one looks fine to me:

[​IMG]

(assuming for sake of argument that both tie and shirt are solid, as they appear in the pic).

5. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Heh -- I had noticed too.

2 people like this.
  6. Willin

Willin Senior member

[​IMG]

Foo, this isn't a pocketsquare and charcoal trouser fail? Also, are those amoeba's on his tie?

1 person likes this.
  7. mafoofan

We've discussed that pic before. Years ago. The trousers are not charcoal--but even so, yes, they would be better lighter in my opinion. It's not squareFAIL because he's managed to pick exactly the rusty, brickish sort of brown that marries his shoes to his jacket without bursting out at your eyes. That said, this is very hard to get right. and is more likely to fail. I would not copy.

8. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Can't remember if I posted this one already. That's a white linen square.
    [​IMG]

What I'm wearing today. Navy knit tie. Kent Wang square. Barker Black shoes.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  9. Willin

Willin Senior member

^Both seem to lean more to the peacocking end of the spectrum.

10. ThinkDerm

ThinkDerm Senior member

That jacket would not make good ties. You are both wrong.

11. gyalos

gyalos Senior member

I always thought that most italian businessmen (most italian men probably) are trying to imitate the Avocatto. This is especially true for those who came of age in the 60s or 70s.

Silvio falls under this category, but I actually I like his style. It is essentially the Italian business uniform, as foo prescribed, minus the PS which would be a no-no for a politician. Another difference may be that his shirts tend to be solid light blue, but I think that the overall effect does not deviate from what foo referred to in his blog post.

The suits if I am not mistaken are by Caraceni and the ties are always blue macclesfield marinellas. All in all, the best dressed politician today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. mafoofan

Yes, on second thought, you are right. Burn the jacket.

13. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

I made it in life! I've finally been Foofed!

Thanks for the visual.

14. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I just wanted to get an opinion on this shirt. I would most likely wear it with odd jackets, like the one below. I'm not sure what else it goes with (if anything). I can always return it. Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

Allow me to try my hand at overthinking:

I'm generally a fan of black shoes and I think Americans wear brown shoes far to often, but here I see not necessarily that the shoes detract, just that they don't offer the best fit.

Charcoal suits definitely need black shoes, but lighter grays are too cold and need some warm grounding or they risk looking washed out, and black does not provide that. That suit is of a mid-grey tone where it straddles the boundary.

I think burgundy, oxblood or dark brown suede would have provided a bit more warmth without being too contrast-y as a mid-brown shoe.

16. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I find that "French Blue" is hard to pair with both shoes and socks.

17. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

What are your thoughts on burgundy/oxblood with charcoal suits?

18. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

I think burgundy-#8-oxblood all look great with nearly anything tbh, especially charcoal and navy.

I think that's why the OneShoe is so versatile.

19. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Color wise, likely. Style wise, seems a bit too country.

20. hendrix

hendrix Senior member

When I think about it though, I still think black is better than burgundy with charcoal.

what I really don't like is the burgundy tones pair with creams and tans. Brown looks better IMO.

e.g. I think this is bad
    [​IMG]
    but this is good
    [​IMG]

(aside from the fact that I dislike those sloop things). (credit asuitablewardrobe.dynend.com)

I'm sure the first one is a classic combination or whatever, I just find it jarring.