• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright...about to really n00b up this thread....but...what exactly are city accessories?

Well, they're what you could call "formal". As per Vox's guide to coherent combinations: shirts are white, plain light blue or blue and white stripes; neckties are solid grenadines or other textured woven silks, wedding tie patterns in silk, silk prints with discreet non-repeating figurative patterns, or diagonally striped ties (unless you're British) without too much of a sheen; hanks are fine white linen. This doesn't mean you have to stick 100% to that stuff with a city suit, but it works best.

It all would work with a flannel suit if you don't rusticate it too much (i.e. patch pockets). If you decide to get flap pockets instead, then the suit could maybe work with both city and country accesories. Don't take it as a hard set of rules, but rather as a fairly safe way of doing things right.

Last edited:

timotune

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would disagree. For me pp on a suit do not necessarily take away its "professinalism"

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Getting a gray suit in non-worsted wool made. Are patch pockets on a suit in good taste, or should they be reserved for odd jackets only?

Also, Stitchy, that fit is very slimming. If I could thumb you I'd thumb you good for that picture (unfortunately, I've thumbed too many people today).

i think they can be fine. look around the forum for examples, mainly PG, so you have an idea of what looks good.

and thanks!

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
i think they can be fine. look around the forum for examples, mainly PG, so you have an idea of what looks good.
I see them a lot on SC's but rarely on suits. Victor has a ton (actually the reason I'm thinking about it).

Looked up PG...found a few threads but no pictures...mostly very weird arguments about Foo or Vox or some such...which is confusing because I was trying to find out about PG. Also something about mystery tailors. I came to the conclusion that SF was a very strange place in 2008-2009.

I'll look around for more examples.

TT, while that jacket does look less formal because of the PP, it also looks awesome (and like it would work in most business contexts).

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Patch pockets should be only in the realm of sportcoats or very country-ish fabrics on suits. Patch pockets on worsted is a no-no and I would stay away from 3 patch and just do 2 patch. Patch pockets are inherently more casual than flap/welt and 3 patch on a suit should be for very casual suits only. You'll see talk of a "blazersuit" if you search and its basically Manton's invention of a 3 patch navy suit in a fresco fabric so as to have the jacket available to wear as a sportcoat but I am of the belief that it would look better with a chest welt pocket rather than a patch.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Certainly can't go wrong with Ed's advice above, but Wongolini was rocking the hell out of those three-patch suits.

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think I was thinking of a 2 patch. The chest pocket would just be normal with the side pockets being patches. Though that might be weird as most (if not all) the jackets I've seen are 3 patch.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is PG's suit above really worsted? It looks like cotton to me, patch pockets would be OK on that and it's casually accesorized as well...
Claghorn, there's nothing wrong with 3 patch pockets on a flannel suit, but remember that no matter if it has 2 or 3 of them, that feature will turn the suit into a casual suit, and you should pair it with casual stuff as well.

Last edited:

timotune

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is PG's suit above really worsted? It looks like cotton to me, patch pockets would be OK on that and it's casually accesorized as well...

Looks worsted too me. And I fully understand your point: It is not a really "conservative" suit. I really like this style, though. From the pics I have seen to date, Clag does not work in a super-conservative environment, so he could pull of the the 3 pp suit + the jacket can be worn as a seperate with different pants (or pents, if you have time & nerves).

Last edited:

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I wasn't saying a casual suit is wrong for him; just that he should accesorize it accordingly, just like PG does. It would look great with his wool ties
smile.gif

I would, however, not wear a gray flannel suit coat as an odd jacket, even if it has patch pockets; specially if it's worsted flannel. Blue would be a different story.

timotune

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I wasn't saying a casual suit is wrong for him; just that he should accesorize it accordingly, just like PG does. It would look great with his wool ties :)

I would, however, not wear a gray flannel suit coat as an odd jacket, even if it has patch pockets; specially if it's worsted flannel. Blue would be a different story.

100% agree

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Patch pockets should be only in the realm of sportcoats or very country-ish fabrics on suits. Patch pockets on worsted is a no-no and I would stay away from 3 patch and just do 2 patch. Patch pockets are inherently more casual than flap/welt and 3 patch on a suit should be for very casual suits only. You'll see talk of a "blazersuit" if you search and its basically Manton's invention of a 3 patch navy suit in a fresco fabric so as to have the jacket available to wear as a sportcoat but I am of the belief that it would look better with a chest welt pocket rather than a patch.

But you did have a few 3 patch pocket sport coats made up in very loud patterns from what I can remember :D

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

But you did have a few 3 patch pocket sport coats made up in very loud patterns from what I can remember :D

I thin I have about 4 that way, I'd probably redo 2 of them to 2 patch if I could and going foward, any odd jackets I get will be 2 patch.

One of the things that I hope people get out of all this talk we do here is that nothing is really absolute. I think the best purpose/use of this forum is twofold, to read all the talk of "rules" and whats right/wrong so that you have an understanding of why a tux with patch pockets is wrong and secondly, to see pics of various outfits/cuts etc to get ideas of what may or may not work for you. At the end of the day, given each person's circumstances and needs, they should wear both what they like and what works for them. There is nothing inherently wrong with wearing a 3 patch windowpane worsted suit as long as you have the flair and understand that its inappropriate to wear it to the job interview at IBM/funeral etc.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For gray flannel, I prefer 3 piece SB or 2 piece DB with flap pockets. I think the gray flannel suit is best as a blank canvas to which you have many options so accessorize.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads