1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

If this happens, I'm in for a tie.

2. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Mariano wears them with morning dress, at least I saw him in a pic once, but with regular suits? That is something I have never, ever seen in Italy.

I disagree a little with your assessment of the Italian businessman in this respect. I don't think their ties are as universally blue as you do. I see lots of other colors, typically very muted, dark burg, bottle green, etc. never bright but not always blue.

3. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

You are absolutely right, the ties are not always blue. But blue is the most common color, and we are essentially on the same page: my point is that it's a mistake to think of the "Italian uniform" as being so simple as people generally imagine. It isn't. To the extent well-dressed Italian men follow it, you're not going to see so much of the all-solid combinations people come up with on the internet to mimic them. What's blue often is not merely blue.

Mariano reported to me that he wears white collared shirts with suits when he wants to be very businessy. Though I've never seen him do it. I just have no reason to disbelieve him.

4. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

Looks like a very fine lined shirt here.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

Yay! I agree on the shoes and I was requested to wear black shoes as it was an event I was working. Otherwise it's mostly always brown for me. I plan to wear it as is this season and see if we need to add buttons later. I like the unique flair the 4 button adds. I like the waist as is and I believe Edwin agrees as he pins it!

6. Kaplan

Kaplan Senior member

Yes, I just saw that. When I've seen mention of the 'Italian Backgound' it's usually been when used as an anchoring combo for a heavily patterned SC, not as something paired with a somber, solid business suit like what you discuss in your article there.

Used as such, do you still find it subpar?

7. johnvw

johnvw Senior member

Please allow me to ask a sincere, if noob, question: Per the rating this ensemble was given, why do black shoes detract from this outfit?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  8. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

Slew, I think the reason why the 6 might look better than the 4 on this is because there's really quite a bit of empty space on the chest area which, at first blush, makes it look as if something's amiss, not so much the fact that it's 4 buttons and less 'right', so to speak. But, you do have time to think though about whether you want the two topmost buttons or not.

9. Manton

I agree. If you look at successful examples of 4x2 from the movies, the button stance is generally higher and the wrap is wider. That really looks like a 6x2 with two buttons missing.

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Pretty much my MO

11. mafoofan

True, the entry is on the business-oriented "uniform," not specifically the "Italian Background," but the principles and analysis still apply. We turn it into a cartoon in our heads and see: solid blue shirt, solid blue tie, solid blue shirt, solid blue tie, etc. But the truth is that there is often quite a bit of pattern at play. I would hesitate to pair a heavily patterned tweed odd jacket with a solid blue shirt and solid blue tie because they tend to get blocked off. I'd prefer to have a pattern in at least one.

12. NORE

NORE Senior member

Foo, I like your avatar.

13. mafoofan

Luciano Barbera:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As iconic an Italian dresser as any, yet Luciano does not use the all-solid, so-called "Italian Background." Rather, he often pairs a navy-grounded tie with a light blue-grounded shirt, and one or both are almost always patterned. The tie may have another color in it. These were from a quick Google image search. I haven't come across an outfit where he's clearly wearing a solid blue tie and solid blue shirt.

When we see color-blocked Italians, they tend to be the more anonymous or fashion-oriented sort. Essentially: random Roman businessmen. It seems to me the famed dressers of Italy tend to inject a whole lot more nuance. Hence, the real takeaway lesson is that when wearing the "Background," pattern and texture should be employed to achieve the best effect.

14. Manton

Well, I always thought the best dressed Italians were the Milanse and the "country gentlemen" from the Lombardy lake country.

15. mafoofan

Oh, you know who does do the totally blocked-out, no-pattern "Italian Background?" Lino, of Al Bazar. But he's a cartoon in and of himself.

1 person likes this.
  16. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Das Racist!

17. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Senior member

A peep into the recesses of Foo's mind. Or yours. :rotflmao:

18. Slewfoot

Slewfoot Senior member

I hear that. While tough to make them higher I could always move them out a touch. Would make the wrap a touch tighter, but there is room. We shall see.

19. mafoofan

How can you move the buttons further apart? The external and internal anchoring holes have already been cut. Anyway, I think the overlap is fine. Maybe it's more Italian that narrow than English, but that's not necessarily bad. Any reason you are opposed to adding the top buttons? They would really help.

20. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

charcoal trousers, yuck!

4 people like this.