1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

i like FCs but they never seem to be comfortable for me. i think i would need to go bespoke to really be happy with a FC.

2. in stitches

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  3. mymil

mymil Senior member

As long as it doesn't wing out of the sweater, I think this collar looks good without stays.

4. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Yeah, I prefer most collars without stays. Gives a much nicer roll around the tie knot. Some shirts don't take well to this, but most are fine.

In this particular example, I think it looks just fine without the stays.

5. in stitches

interesting, i always wear stays. they are the thin, very pliable, plastic ones. i feel they give the collar the structure i want, while not making it look too rigid. horses for courses of coure.

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I haven't worn them in years.

2 people like this.
  7. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Dangerously, I couldn't find anything really wrong with what I wore today. I'd like to hear the opinions of those who know more than me, though. The square stands out a little bit, I guess, but I don't think it's bad. Any advice or suggestions would be great.

Let's see how I do.

[​IMG]

8. Louis XIV

Louis XIV Senior member

Button up that collar, you are no Italian tycoon

3 people like this.
  9. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

[​IMG]

90% of the time, I do. I just felt like doing this today. This shirt doesn't have a very nice roll to the collar, anyway. It's almost certainly better taste to button it.

And let's be real, I'm more cut out for "ne'er-do-well scion of an Italian tycoon" than anything else.

10. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Silk knots are sad placeholders for what could have been.

Where's Manton?

1 person likes this.
  11. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

When I wear cufflinks it is mother of pearl.

12. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

Silk knots can be a practical alternative to cufflinks because they have no metal in them. That's useful for those who might have to go through metal detectors or work with strong magnets.

Personally I stopped wearing French cuff shirts because I can't be bothered with cufflinks or silk knots in the morning.

1 person likes this.
  13. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
  14. Mr. Pink

Mr. Pink Senior member

Yesterday:

[​IMG]

Today (shirt is pale blue check):

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  15. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

It looks like no one is evaluating these anymore. Does anyone else feel like commenting?

16. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

First off, I declare for :foo: in the Great French Cuff Debate of February Fifth. In fact, FCs with everything was one of my non-rule rules (I liked that thread). A quick drive-by commenting on today's posted fits:
    Huzzah for the removal of the patches! This looks good in the long shot, so I wonder if the vibrancy of the hank in the close-up misrepresents the color. Yea to long-shot version, nay to close-up.
    In an otherwise "cool" colors combination, the brown hank seems random. A different tie to relieve the blueness would have done wonders.
    I don't know if my dislike for the tie is idiosyncratic, so I can only say that I don't like the tie. If consensus coalesces around my dislike, then it may not be in good taste.
    Unfastened collar buttons are something that a confident, stylish man gets away with. Let's button them up, shall we? The hank is utterly random in color and pattern. It would have been better to go without.
    The coordination of the tie and shirt are not inherently not in good taste, but you must commit to being the purple dandy. The hank suggests you lost your nerve.
    If the suit is the relatively smooth worsted it appears to be, the hank shouldn't be so lustrous. There's not enough variation of texture.
    If the bright portion of the hank were just peeking out, I would really like this. Now, have your way with me. A bit overexposed, so dial down the lightness of everything a touch: [​IMG]

6 people like this.
  17. in stitches

I don't know if my dislike for the tie is idiosyncratic, so I can only say that I don't like the tie. If consensus coalesces around my dislike, then it may not be in good taste.

;)

1 person likes this.
  18. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Damn, SB, way to step up! I like your critiques. I absolutely agree with every one of them.

For your fit, I'm not a huge fan of the tie, but I've never really liked horizontal striped ties. If someone else more Tasteful than I wants to disagree, then I couldn't argue. I'm also not a big fan of the square--it just kinda seems... There. Like it blends in a bit too much. The pinkish color also seems to be a bit close to the tie. However, I'm guessing a lot of this could just be exposure issues.

1 person likes this.
  19. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Also, that non-rules rules thread is insanely awesome. IDK how I missed that...

20. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members

Like The Highlander, there can be only one Shannon Sharpe. The green and gold square should provide balance and contrast with the rest of the fit.

Your critique eludes me.

1 person likes this.