• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The posts I find most frustrating are where people are looking for a critique yet post garrish outfits that don't even come close to the seemingly basic sensibilities of these first 50% of this thread. Adding a neon tie or absurd socks to a fit is blatantly not in good taste. There's no need to post it here.
The most beneficial posts here are from the experts who know what they are doing and describe their rationale.
Of nearly the same benefit are the less experienced posters who are dressed within the bounds of good taste to the best of their abilities. I think most lurkers on this thread fit in this category. The critiques from the experts on these fits are very interesting to read since they pick up on a lot of awry details which we can all work on.
I think this is the consistently best educational thread on this forum that I've seen. After learning from this thread then visiting WAYWRN I realize how clownish a lot of fits even there seem.
Anyway, I'll go back to being a lurking troll now. Good day!

I agree.

The WAYWN thread has really turned into a cesspit of poor fits and mismatched outfits. It's really sad. I'm less affected by bold patterns and colors, in fact, I welcome it if its properly done. So it's not so much about flamboyance and flash, but just plain old poor taste. There used to be WAYWN contributors who could evoke a aura of flare without trespassing the boundaries of good taste. I used to click and save a lot of fits that I found interesting but I've long abandoned that habit. For example, here are some of maomao's fits

Last edited:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^ maox2 :slayer:

Rare outdoor shot for me as I was crossing the park to meet a few igents for a highly civilized and tasty lunch

benjamin831

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think a silk tie would've been even better, just to give it greater textural contrast between the suit and tie.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The posts I find most frustrating are where people are looking for a critique yet post garrish outfits that don't even come close to the seemingly basic sensibilities of these first 50% of this thread. Adding a neon tie or absurd socks to a fit is blatantly not in good taste. There's no need to post it here.
The most beneficial posts here are from the experts who know what they are doing and describe their rationale.
Of nearly the same benefit are the less experienced posters who are dressed within the bounds of good taste to the best of their abilities. I think most lurkers on this thread fit in this category. The critiques from the experts on these fits are very interesting to read since they pick up on a lot of awry details which we can all work on.
I think this is the consistently best educational thread on this forum that I've seen. After learning from this thread then visiting WAYWRN I realize how clownish a lot of fits even there seem.
Anyway, I'll go back to being a lurking troll now. Good day!

One thing you have yet to learn is that no matter how great your soapbox speech is and no matter how spot-on your points may be, you will not be taken seriously unless you also are posting pics of yourself to add credulity to your argument.

Good day!

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

^ maox2 :slayer:
Rare outdoor shot for me as I was crossing the park to meet a few igents for a highly civilized and tasty lunch

I can't explain or justify this opinion, but I don't like blue flannel suits. I love blue flannel for odd trousers though. But for a flannel suit, it's solid grey or some kind of PoW for me.

Last edited:

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^ maox2
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Great tie, gdl. You don't button your coat when walking?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

One thing you have yet to learn is that no matter how great your soapbox speech is and no matter how spot-on your points may be, you will not be taken seriously unless you also are posting pics of yourself to add credulity to your argument.
Good day!

+ infinity.
----
benjamin and gdl - nothing but tasty tastiness there.

fred - i know red/burgundy/maroon ties do not get much love here, but i like it. i think the maroon + gray is lovely.

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I disagree re Will.i.n. The critique stands or falls on its own merits.

Fred49

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

+ infinity.
----
benjamin and gdl - nothing but tasty tastiness there.
fred - i know red/burgundy/maroon ties do not get much love here, but i like it. i think the maroon + gray is lovely.

Stiches the color is not red, burgundy or maroon. Sooooo we only have to love the PLUM tie that I wear today..... :D

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Stiches the color is not red, burgundy or maroon. Sooooo we only have to love the PLUM tie that I wear today..... :D

lol, interesting. i stil like it.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I disagree re Will.i.n. The critique stands or falls on its own merits.

conceptually maybe. but i always take a critique to heart more, when it is coming from someone who has proven they know what they are doing. just my opinion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 84 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Forum statistics

Threads