• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^ hey now ! :( ^^

i think its still a far cry from WAYWRN. sure, its not filled with perfection, but it a place where people are a bit more careful with what they post, and its a good place to get good feedback from people who are proven to have good taste. not to mention, when it gets down to "the best," there is a lot of personal preference involved.

Last edited:

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This could get ugly...

6525.jpg

:hide:

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks great to me - the only comment I would make is a preference on my part for cut away collars with suits rather than sports jackets. I love that colour of jumper.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
MoL, i like it. are those dots or circles on the tie, and who is the maker?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I like them creased if they're "dress" chinos like gdl is wearing rather than workwear chinos. They'll still rumple, but the crease is part of what makes them work with a jacket and tie in the first place.

We're on the same page

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
NORE, I think that would look really good if your socks weren't so busy. It clashes with the boldness of the suit.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is it just me or has this thread resembled WAYWRN a lot more than a "good taste" thread lately? It seems that most of the fits of late are things that vaguely resemble good taste but are generally too loud to fit that description.
When I think of good taste I imagine something one might wear to a country club or semi-casual business lunch. Not something that you'd wear for praise from GQ types on the streets of Manhattan or contrarily something from a corporate board room.
I am far from a contributor but as a student from the sidelines the nascent pages of this thread were rife with advice and excellent examples from mafoofan, Manton, etc. I feel as if it has strayed to people asking for advice on outfits that are not nearly "good taste" worthy and it's like WAYWRN pt. 2.

According to my calculations, this thread is about to rise from the sartorial ashes.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:lol:

Willin

Reaction score

According to my calculations, this thread is about to rise from the sartorial ashes.

Hahaha - I actually saw a young guy this morning with too-loud shoes, etc, and thought to myself "He's definitely on the early arch of the acridsheep SF noob lifecycle." It's a shockingly accurate chart.

I need to spend less time on this forum...

rob

Reaction score

While all the posts here are not elegant, I would cut some slack (or not) based on a distinction on the types of less than elegant posters. That distinction would be those who post to genuinely learn vs. those who post to seek constant approval. That latter gets annoying.

I will now go back to lurking.

Rob

Willin

Reaction score

While all the posts here are not elegant, I would cut some slack (or not) based on a distinction on the types of less than elegant posters. That distinction would be those who post to genuinely learn vs. those who post to seek constant approval. That latter gets annoying.
I will now go back to lurking.
Rob

The posts I find most frustrating are where people are looking for a critique yet post garrish outfits that don't even come close to the seemingly basic sensibilities of these first 50% of this thread. Adding a neon tie or absurd socks to a fit is blatantly not in good taste. There's no need to post it here.

The most beneficial posts here are from the experts who know what they are doing and describe their rationale.

Of nearly the same benefit are the less experienced posters who are dressed within the bounds of good taste to the best of their abilities. I think most lurkers on this thread fit in this category. The critiques from the experts on these fits are very interesting to read since they pick up on a lot of awry details which we can all work on.

I think this is the consistently best educational thread on this forum that I've seen. After learning from this thread then visiting WAYWRN I realize how clownish a lot of fits even there seem.

Anyway, I'll go back to being a lurking troll now. Good day!

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Of nearly the same benefit are the less experienced posters who are dressed within the bounds of good taste to the best of their abilities. I think most lurkers on this thread fit in this category. The critiques from the experts on these fits are very interesting to read since they pick up on a lot of awry details which we can all work on.

Definitely agree with this.

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The rate of replies to such posts has diminished, though. Last few times I posted here I got almost no feedback, which kinda sucks since advice from the guys who post in this thread is really, really useful, and personally I think I've come a long way since I began in the world of coat and tie thanks to this advice. But who knows, perhaps it's just that I still fall into the "garrish outfits" category.
lol8[1].gif

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads