1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I have to say, this thread just got a lot more entertaining.

In order to survive as a interesting separate entity with its own identity, it needed active moderation (whether it will be viewed as arbitrary by someone else or not is actually irrelevant to its ability to thrive as a separate identity). Foo's stepping up to act as judge, jury & executioner gives it back some of that focus. Regardless of whether you agree with his perspective or not (or, indeed, those of any of the other judges, should they return to play), I think it will now have some good specificity for detecting outfits which meet the parameters set by the thread's concept, and therefore give the thread an internal purpose.

Whether it will have sensitivity is quite another matter... (stats pun entirely intended, and I think accurate in both senses of the word. That's why it will be entertaining. ;) )

tl;dr - will read thread regularly again after having stopped after first handful of pages.

1 person likes this.
  2. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

:hide:

Yup. Much nicer knot this time around. Like I said last time, very nice. Though I am no :foo:.

3. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Im fairly certain this was taken in Manton's bathroom.

4. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

Another instance of squareFAIL. It also shows why white shirts are less versatile than you would imagine. You need a brighter, less saturated square to fill-in the contrast gap between the shirt and tie. That said, a blue shirt would have been a fail here too. The problem is truly the square, with which you're also demonstrated poor poofing technique.

Combined, it's an outfit that has been cobbled together without finesse. A standard Sears level outfit, with an inexpertly chosen pocket square added for good measure.

Final score: :foo::foo:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

It would look perfect with a white linen square. :devil: Or a cream puff.

6. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

very well then. here goes a repost, as i missed the new scoring system by a few posts.

[​IMG]

7. Willin

Willin Senior member

[​IMG]

They enhance everything...

8. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Here's more from straight on, and with an idea of my neck dimensions. Personally I like this collar quite a bit.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

colors look SO much better in this pic, unbel.

10. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yea that one is fairly accurate of the jacket, but the PS isn't so yellow and the tie is a little darker.

11. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

That's a really solid combo. Good job.

12. mafoofan

You know, the more of these :foo::foo:-level outfits I'm forced to look at, the more tempted I will be to downgrade them a notch.

This is average in the office-working world. Nobody on the street is going to think you look bad, but no man who is well-dressed will mistake you for one of his own either. Why? Well, there is absolutely nothing to interest the eye. A good outfit has enough play in contrast, pattern, or color, etc., to make your eyes gently dance around it without getting stuck on something jarring. There is zero such dynamism here. The least you could have done is wear a somewhat lighter grey than charcoal, something between the brightness of your shirt and tie rather than something dead-on with the latter.

How bad is it to try so hard not to try? You know what, that costs you an extra :foo:. This sort of outfit really doesn't belong on Styleforum.

Final score: :foo:

13. patrickBOOTH

I think you are ignoring what one can do with weave, texture, materials and so forth. I think style is also in the small details cut and fit. Beau Brummel if you will. Pattern matching has its place, but it doesn't have to be done all of the time for a great overall outfit.

14. Stugotes

Stugotes Senior member

This thread will be so much more interesting, now that an "old" member is here to judge again [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Crat

Crat Senior member

:confused:

16. mafoofan

Of course, the proper use of texture plays a big role. I've talked about it at length in the past, haven't I? However, it is not one of the main errors Stitch made with his outfit.

17. mafoofan

Stitch's outfit is offensive, and it is not technically correct. It fails to properly deploy color, contrast, pattern, etc. A :foo::foo::foo: outfit demonstrates solid taste, if not notably good taste. Stitch's commits the crime of hazarding no taste whatsoever.

18. patrickBOOTH

Contrast, yes, but flannel, grenadine, and broadcloth? I think that's fine. Plus, the collar is nice, its under the lapels, there is proportion with the tie and lapels. What if he had a patterned square?

19. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

I think it's time to revisit an earlier suggestion--

20. mafoofan

What do you suppose he's achieved with that texture combination? It's not bad at all, but it is not enough to save the outfit. Yes, the collar shape is also fine. But the presence of some okay things doesn't compensate for errors and the total lack of anything good. A :foo::foo: outfit is a mixed bag: some good, some bad. There is no good here, just okay.

It's hard to imagine a square that would save the outfit. When your square is the only thing you're wearing with a pattern, it sticks out like a sore thumb. Your pocket square is perhaps the last thing you want to draw disproportionate attention to itself. You're sort of stuck, then, with a solid square. What color wouldn't either look totally banal or totally random? I can't really imagine. Even cream silk would fail here. That, to me, really says something.