Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

ok, ok.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2012

2. clapeyron

clapeyron Senior member

reservoir dogs is the best. that's a fact.

3. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

In this case, yes. I've tried a white shirt and white square and liked it. :)

4. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

You keep skipping past the non-trivial difference between “not ideal” and “objectively bad.”

But anyway, consider for a moment two things that do lay just claim to being considered objectively, as opposed to conventionally, aesthetically pleasing.

First, the ancient Greeks recognized the “golden ratio” the equation for which you can look up, but the point is, it results in a ratio of two unequal parts, let’s call them A and B, where A is longer/larger than B and A is to A+B what B is to A. Or, doing the math, 1:1.618 …

Now, for about 2,500 years aestheticians of various kinds—including sculptors, architects and so on—have incorporated this ratio into their works, many of which—including the Parthenon—are considered to be among the most successfully aesthetically pleasing of all time. There appears to be something about the Golden Ratio that appeals to the human eyes and brain on a structural level that transcends not only the medium but even time, place and culture. Perhaps not everyone cares or sees it or “feels” it but most do, which is what makes it objectively aesthetically superior.

Or consider male opinions of female beauty. Modern conventional wisdom would have us believe that this is all relative to man viewing but many studies have shown that is not so. There certain things that all men, more or less everywhere, find pleasing, among them facial symmetry and a 0.7 waist-hip ratio. Ask a random, representative sample of men to rank various women and the results will be strikingly consistent. There may be differences in the margins—Joe says Jane is a 7, Jim says she’s an 8—but Joe, Jim and everyone else will all agree on the 7-8 v. the 3-4 and even the 5-6.

So, in one sense beauty is not in the eye of the beholder, if what is meant is that standards of beauty are completely relative and have no static frame of reference. But in another sense beauty IS in the eye of the beholder because there is no other metric for judging it. If something does not appear to be beautiful then it is not. There can be things of extreme refinement that most people will not “get” that are nonetheless beautiful—the Grosse Fugue comes to mind. But the chances that something can be objectively ugly but only understood to be so by one person are vanishingly remote, and almost a logical impossibility.

What we really have here is a non-rule rule. Well, fine. One of my non-rule rules is no solid socks. I literally own one pair of solid (black) dress socks, which I only wear with chef clogs. But there is nothing incorrect or even aesthetically bad about them, I just don’t like them.

5. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

You miss the point. Whether you like it is irrelevant. You could just a slave to convention that doesn't want to admit it to yourself.

6. Mr. Moo

Perhaps you miss the point? Whether you don't like it is irrelevant. You could just be arguing about something that doesn't have a clear answer and don't want to admit it to yourself.

7. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

:facepalm:

You can't decide that you have enough reasons to believe and then save some left over reasons in order to later upgrade that belief to knowledge.

8. RSS

RSS Senior member

[​IMG]

9. Mr. Moo

Dude, I like white shirt/white PS. Am I saying that people should wear that combination? No. I'm saying I like it. What are you confused about?

10. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

You are discussing the combination of white shirt and white pocket square.

I am discussing the combination of believing and knowing.

Get on my level.

11. Mr. Moo

Oh word?

[​IMG]

12. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I had a tiger mom. The difference is trivial.

But seriously. If "ideal" is possible and is defined as the best of all options, and costs are equal, whether you define your choice as "good" versus "bad" or "ideal" versus "not ideal" is irrelevant. Ultimately you can only pick one option. All others might as well be "bad," as well as "not ideal."

13. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

The electric suit in another light.
    [​IMG]

14. RSS

RSS Senior member

Fred it was the lighting. That is a beautiful suit. Now I'm jealous ... I want one.

In the previous photo I really thought it was purple. I was thinking Boateng. I'm recalling being at Schiphol Airport and hearing "Accra Passenger Boateng. Mr. Ozwald Boateng, please proceed to gate F7 for immediate boarding." All of a sudden a purple flash passed me.

15. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

^^ still love it ^^

nope.