Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

Stitches - I like the first one you posted there, with the dark coat and the burnt orange pindot tie. The collar is a little pointy for my taste, but overall it's good. On the others, #1 isn't bad either but could do with a light blue shirt instead of the white. #2, get rid of the tie. #3, that pic is better than the first one but still too matchy IMHO.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012

2. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I took an ipad photo this morning, but it is unusable because of the colors. Light gray fresco 3 roll 2 sack suit with patch and flap hip pockets and patch breat pocket. Burgundy university stripe OCBD and milk chocolate grenadine tie, with taupeblack, white and wine tammis keefe print square. In photo, shirt stripes looked gray and tie looked red. Suit color was mostly ok but had a huge white patch on the chest.

3. _AMD

_AMD Senior member

Thank you all for taking hte time to comment. I do appreciate the effort, and the information.

I would like to make a few comments in response, however, I want to be clear that none of this is being offered as an excuse or defense of my initial post. I am simply looking to clarify a few things, and see if it has any impacts on the responses that I received here.

The photo was a bad iPhone shot taken in the back of a car on a highway in sporadic morning light. The jacket is a blue (not quite navy) fresco. The shirt is a chambray, although thinner and smoother than most chambrays that I have felt. The tie is a very light weight, open weave cotton, linen, silk blend), in an ink blue color (?, it was a gift and is unlabeled, but that is what I recall being told. As an aside, there was a comment about a stain on the tie which appears to be missing from the thread now (I'm guessing DH nuked). While not a helpful or useful comment, I would like to point out that there is no stain. It was the combination of odd light coming in the car window, and the fact that the shirt was showing through the open weave of the tie in that light.

Again, this is not offered in defense of myself, my taste, or my post. I am eager to learn and appreciate the opinions of those offering them in this thread, and wondered if this information would change any of the responses to my original post.

Thanks to all in this thread for breathing new life into MC.

Aaron

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

excellent idea, thank you.

thanks, but i do like that tie in #2. :(

i really need to start using blue and patterned shirts more often. the all white all the time is a holdover from my jewish schooling. white shirts are pretty much the standard, and anything outside that is looked at askance. not a stylistic thing, just a conforming to the group thing.

5. unbelragazzo

But it's also kind of a stylistic thing, once you consider what the rest of that jewish schoolboy outfit entails. I doubt there is much tweed.

6. coolpapa

coolpapa Senior member

It's very light, 8 or 9 oz I think.

7. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

lol, no there is not. it is often called the penguin suit. black pants, white shirt, black jacket. occasionally a dark blue or gray gets mixed in somewhere. always solid colors, always a plain wool weave, maybe even polyester.

its not an outfit that was chosen for any stylistic reason whatsoever. it is just a look that over the past 10 or 15 years has become standard within certain circles. and if you want to be taken even remotely seriously in those circles, you need to conform to some degree. now, the POW purple overcheck certainly doesnt play well there, i just mean i never really wore much besides a white shirt, so i dont have a lot of experience using colored and textured shirts with outfits. it is something i am just starting to try out.

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Vintage Brooks Brothers? I hope.

9. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

Well, first of all--I never, ever match my square to my shirt. It almost guarantees a fail. Some incidental reference to your shirt is okay, but you don't want to be wearing a light blue square with a light blue shirt.
    What I do instead is use my square as a visual filler. I look at the tie, shirt, and suit/jack I'm wearing, and think about what part of the contrast, saturation, scale, and color range needs to be filled out. For example, if I have a light suit, light shirt, and a dark tie, I usually look for a medium bright square to slot in. I think about color largely the same way. Rather than look for a single color or item to match or complement, I think about what color is missing from the ensemble as a whole. This is harder to explain and probably takes more experience than any of the other considerations. But there is some rule of thumb you can use to begin with: browns and blues go nicely together, and any other color (red, green, purple, etc.) is easier to match the darker it is.
    Also, as a rule, the more intricate the motif the less it should be repeated, and any time you repeat a motif, the scale should vary by a visually obvious amount. So, for example, I would never do more than one paisley in an outfit, or more than one floral motif. However, stripes and checks can be done--just go big and small.
    Think about it this way: every two items suggests a continuum between them along each of their disparate attributes. Try to "make sense" of everything by filling in those continuums.
    Hard to deal with--which is why I would avoid a jacket like that to begin with. However, purple isn't necessarily the wrong way to go. I would just go with a dark, inky plum, instead of a medium purple as you've chosen. Then, at least, you would have some more adequate saturation contrast.[/q

Brilliant. Thank you.

10. unbelragazzo

Well, this is the kind of stuff you want to wear a white shirt with. And it's also the kind of thing that looks best on high-contrast complexions, such as many American Jews. I'm not saying it's a sartorial paradise, I'm just saying, these things have a way of adapting themselves, and keeping just one element and replacing everything else is risky. I think that was kind of the point of Vox's Practical Combinations thread.

11. gazman70k

gazman70k Senior member

Excellent point!

No disagreement from me.

Time to get that micro four thirds. I love the cloth by the way.

[​IMG]

Grey nail head.

12. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Do you remember which book it came from? I've been looking for a summer sportcoat fabric in that weight...

13. unbelragazzo

Ah, thank you. Really resolves to a lovely texture at a medium distance.

14. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

Seriously? Serious rhetorical question: how do you possibly get through life?

15. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

The shirt is. Complete with collar and cuff fraying. Suit is from Chipp2/Winston tailors, as is the tie. With my shoes from Alden (Modified last tan wingtip bluchers), it is an all-American day.

Ooops - belt is not U.S.