1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

With a suit/overcoat?

2. AmericanGent

I think the flash caused the tie to look much brighter than in real life- but I absolutely agree with your assessment of the shirt and tie combo. The knot- well it was in Scotland so I get it!
    But it is fun to work with the options until something hits.
    Enjoy the chase!

EDIT: Just to be clear- I liked the idea of using a darker shirt to contrast a lighter tie- but not so much the blue and yellow. Also, I'm not sure I'd wear a white shirt with tweed like in the first picture.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  3. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Senior member

Thanks!

4. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Yep, with dressier attire--overcoat, usually a tie, either a suit or SC.

A ushanka seems a bit too costume-y to me, but I'm considering it...

5. AmericanGent

ooh- I think we all know the textbook answer to this one. But I look like a tool in a fedora.

Edit- Just had a thought- My grandfather wore a very nice Bavarian Alpine dress hat in green wool. Not the costume kind, but the $500 authentic type.
    I picked up a nice short brimmed version this summer while traveling. Not sure if I'll ever wear it though.

6. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

hats dont help ime, for me its really the ears and neck that need to be covered. fur is a good option. when its that cold, not getting hypothermia trumps style, imo.

7. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Yeah, I agree. It just kills me that there is no good answer other than a beanie, which looks absurd with a formal overcoat and tie.

8. in stitches

:laugh: tis better than freezing to death.

but if you are already resorting to a beanie, i would try the ushanka. way cooler than a beanie, and pretty classy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

The other problem with a Ushanka is that my primary overcoat is a double-breasted navy wool, which, combined with such a hat, I fear would veer far into costume-land :(

10. comrade

comrade Senior member

When I lved in Chicago at around at was around zero F I wore a grey Ragg watch Cap with a pom-pom with an Invertere
    Melton Greatcoat and a suit from Chipp or Norman Hilton. A more proper hat to go with the dressy business look would
    have been a fur hat, which I never really considered.

http://www.armynavyshop.com/prods/rc5646.html#.UQBMJY6ExHg

11. RogerC

RogerC Senior member

I find silk with tweed works best with madder and other less overtly shiny finishes.

12. denning

denning Senior member

As someone who is currently living in the grips of 3 straight weeks of -40ish (with windchill) weather with no reprieve in sight, I feel reasonably comfortable in my opinions on this. A fedora is not a cold weather hat. It is useless in real cold, particularly with wind. As are homburgs, bowlers, and anything else of that nature. As Stitchy already said, the problem is that the ears and lower part of the head are left exposed with those kinds of hats. Similarly, the Ushanka does not cover the ears. Yesterday morning my ears would have received frostbite in approximately 30 seconds if left exposed. They need to be covered.

Ultimately there is no functional answer that fits with the "good taste" aspect of this thread. But having said that, the best approach is two pronged. First, you need a good scarf that will be bundled around your neck and lower face/head, which can be done in good taste. Second, a wool cap/beanie/toque is really the only logical way to go. You can go with a fur trapper hat, or something of that nature with ear flaps as well but style is not going to come into play. When it gets really cold, function trumps form every time.

Hope that helps.

13. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Yeah... I think I'm just going to break down and buy a wool watch cap. Sigh.

Good news is it's not usually cold enough to need one in New York, it's just when we get these cold snaps for a week or so.

14. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

I can't wear hats, so I tell myself the suffering makes me more stylish.

15. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

This is the approach that I have heretofore taken. But my walk home last night in the wind has changed my mind as to the value of said suffering.

16. in stitches

i dont see the problem here.

i knew a real cold weather guy would get it!

i meant the kind that can be untied up top and cover the ears if necessary. like so. :)

[​IMG]

good thing you live in NYC not siberia. or you would be stylishly dead. that would suck.

17. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Basically, a double breasted navy overcoat is already fairly military looking--adding a hat that for most of the US has connotations of Russian military seems like a bit too much to me.

18. mafoofan

Huh, I haven't seen your specific overcoat, but I think a navy overcoat is such a well-established staple of menswear that it would be hard to imagine anything making it look costume.

19. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

This isn't mine, but mine is very similar to this. Perhaps I'm just being overly conscious about it.

I do love the coat though.

[​IMG]

20. mafoofan

Nah, if it's just your typical Ulster, I think you're all good. It is perhaps the standard men's overcoat. Hat yourself away.