• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
inb4 :uhoh:

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is the consensus on small houndstooth cloth for suiting? I have seen some that I quite like.

Don't know about the consensus, but reading Diamonds are Forever I came across this yesterday:

It was six o'clock on Thursday evening and Bond was packing his suitcase in his bedroom at the Ritz. It was a battered but once expensive pigskin Revelation and its contents were appropriate to his cover. Evening clothes; his lightweight black and white dog-tooth suit for the country and for golf; Saxone golf shoes; a companion to the dark blue, tropical worsted suit he was wearing, and some white silk and dark blue Sea Island cotton shirts with collars attached and short sleeves.

I recall not being able to really picture what that actually would have looked like, so based on the discussion here I did a quick search and found this and this. I have to say I don't really care for either, but then the moire effect (at least on my screen) isn't helping...

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's the thought on a fabric like this? Should resolve to brown at a distance. Trying to decide if it's too busy up close.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Colors are lovely, scale might be a bit small, can't tell from the pic.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't know about the consensus, but reading Diamonds are Forever I came across this yesterday:
I recall not being able to really picture what that actually would have looked like, so based on the discussion here I did a quick search and found this and this. I have to say I don't really care for either, but then the moire effect (at least on my screen) isn't helping...

Pretty sure these interference patterns are present on the images rather than an artifact of your monitor. I can also see them, and the fact that they do not move when changing angles is a good tell.

I will now move back from being a physicist to a clothing enthusiast.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Colors are lovely, scale might be a bit small, can't tell from the pic.

Thanks. How about this one? Colors a bit brighter; also shows scale:

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think i like the first one better.

steffenbp11

Reaction score
Fred, I am sorry, but that is not up to your usual standards. I am not really a fan of the fabric of the suit, and it doesn't go well with the tie. Bonus points on the hair though :) Is that perhaps part of what is known on Germany as a VoKuHila ( Vorne kurtz - Hinten lang) - don't see many of those these days...

clapeyron

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
What's the thought on a fabric like this? Should resolve to brown at a distance. Trying to decide if it's too busy up close.

I own a scale wise very similar one, while mine is a little more brown/reddish yours seams to be more ochre, green-ish, though. Eitherway I like it.

How do you call a fabric like this? I've always said gunclub houndstooth?

conservative business dress?

Colour is best represented in the close up picture

Casual Friday: needs a less pale blue shirt to work better, thoughts?

emptym

Reaction score
patrickBooth, I think yfyf and whnay have posted houndstooth flannel suits that looked good.

Got a phone w/ a camera in it recently and thought I'd post this, my first and last restroom pic (which may disqualify me from the thread...) in memory of Vox and to contribute to yesterday's glen check sport coat theme. Tie's dark green:

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
m - i like that, a lot! especially the unbuttoned collar and low tie spreez. :slayer:

who makes the SC?

Last edited:

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looking good, m! (But cinch up that tie...)

Fred49

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Fred, I am sorry, but that is not up to your usual standards. I am not really a fan of the fabric of the suit, and it doesn't go well with the tie. Bonus points on the hair though :) Is that perhaps part of what is known on Germany as a VoKuHila ( Vorne kurtz - Hinten lang) - don't see many of those these days...

I wore the tie today because my 10 year old daughter gave it to me and wanted me to wear it. That makes it great. I had picked out a nice blue tie with grey highlights that would have been a better choice. But my daughter holds the keys to my heart. Enough said. :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads