1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

hey fellas, thanks for all the constructive criticism. i appreciate it, and dont take any of it the wrong way, or as hateful. i know you guys all mean well, and you presented your points very respectfully.

ill probably make some adjustments, but the idea for me is as follows. im kind of a fun loving guy, so even when my general fit is more OCBD, the socks are a place i feel i can get a little crazy without it wrecking the whole fit. especially because, except for when im sitting down, you cant really even see them. and for that reason, i generally dont concern myself so much with how well they match the top half, just that they work with the shoes and pants, and for the most part i think i succeed at that.

i can see why that may be considered as tonally off as SB said, or a misguided duality as unbel said, but for me, i am ok with it now. imo, i dont think loud socks would take away from the top half being posted here as good taste. if i were wearing serious FU pants that would be one thing, but if the whole fit is reasonably in good taste, i dont think that socks that may be off prevent the top from belonging here. just my opinion.

either way, i do understand what you guys are saying, and it does make sense. ill consider it, and in time, it may be another change i make, as i move towards continually boring, yet tasteful clothing choices.

as always, thanks for the help.

2. Dewi

Dewi Senior member

Eh, I like the colourful socks, I just don't think that those ones work with those shoes. I think the shoes are too red for red socks, and that navy, or a lighter-than-navy blue would've worked better here.

2 people like this.
  3. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

Thank you, sir. SC is Brunello Cucinelli. I often wear a maroon colored knit with this to bring out the deep-reddish overlay on the gun club check, but was feeling grenadine-y today.

4. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

I like the blue grenadine, I think the maroon might be too much of the same. Would be interested to see it though.

5. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Is a grenadine, especially a solid navy one, not too formal for this arrangement?

6. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

Wouldn't have expected to like it - if I'd just read check SC / striped shirt / greandine - but I dig it.

I think a navy knit subbed in for a navy grenadine would be next level.

I agree w/ Axel - can't see maroon being better than what you have there already.

7. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Senior member

I had my hand hovering over a navy knit this morning and went grenadine instead. So close yet so far...

8. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

I guess we'll just have to disagree on this one. I hope we can still be friends.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

I'm dubious about today's shirt being in good taste (and as a consequence, the whole outfit, due to excessive pattern usage), but I ran out of solid light blue shirts; otherwise this would have been a light blue OCBD. The pattern on the jacket is so subtle maybe this is acceptable.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Shirt is a med blue/white bengal stripe and I'm thinking it would help if the stripes were lighter, too. Any thoughts?
    Colours are closer to reality on the full body shot.

2 people like this.
  10. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Hard to get a handle on the jacket, is it navy? It looks sort of charcoal in the second picture.

11. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

it's charcoal, with a darker charcoal and brown windowpane.

12. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

Charcoal sportcoats just aren't really my cuppa. I think they are hard to pair and that this look would be much better with a navy SC. FWIW, I don't think the shirt is all that problematic.

13. UnreasonableMan

UnreasonableMan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I went without, would appreciate pocket square suggestions?

2 people like this.
  14. Jhors2

Jhors2 Senior member

^^^ Jeez how wide are those lapels? Is that a buttonhole on both sides??

15. UnreasonableMan

UnreasonableMan Well-Known Member

Double breasted jacket. So yes, buttonholes on both sides. Lapels are 4"

16. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Bitchin'

17. Axelman 17

Axelman 17 Senior member

I think burnt orange would look good. Dunno why.

18. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Hook 'em!

1 person likes this.
  19. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Hmmm, I don't think they are that hard to pair, only because there's a single pant colour that works with them: light gray. So you don't have to think much [​IMG] But they are as easy to accesorize as a charcoal suit, which is why I like them, though they don't get much love around these parts.

The fabric for a charcoal SC needs to be an obvious odd jacket cloth, though (fuzzy plaids, tweeds...). Otherwise it's too easy to look like an orphaned suit jacket.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  20. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

Some (hopefully) good taste on a Saturday at the office:

[​IMG]

Glen check suit, blue shirt, brown tie, Rubi square, light brown shoes.