• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whnay.'s good taste thread

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of the fabrics on any of my sportcoats, actually - but that's what happens when you can only afford cheap RTW and some cheap MTM from time to time, lol. At least I hope I'm learning to turn what I have into cheap but coherent outfits.
tounge.gif

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is the consensus on small houndstooth cloth for suiting? I have seen some that I quite like.

I wouldn't wear it to the office, especially if the pattern has a lot of white in it.

Don't care for it myself so have no interest in it as a casual suit. I'd much prefer glen plaid. But since you said you like it, the last two sentences were typed for my own benefit.

Last edited:

VRaivio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ah, good to hear that.
Now, would you classify the cloth on this sport coat I posted a while back as OK for an odd jacket? The colour and the fact the plaid isn't really bold has me wondering (the coat has flap pockets and a welt breast pocket). I've worn it with both city and country accesories, mostly country though.

It's quite a busy check, perhaps a version with larger grids would be more pleasant for the eye.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I wouldn't wear it to the office, especially if the pattern has a lot of white in it.
Don't care for it myself so have no interest in it as a casual suit. I'd much prefer glen plaid. But since you said you like it, the last two sentences were typed for my own benefit.

How about the tan/black variety?

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I imagine it resolves to brown or greyish brown from a distance so maybe. Up close it still strikes me as a little too busy and a little too out of the ordinary for one of the still-kinda-dressed-up industries.

I think glen plaid, and preferably a smaller scale, lower contrast one, is the edge of business suiting nowadays. But, again, I dislike houndstooth suiting so maybe that overly colors my view of things.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Odd coats need to be made up in check fabrics like Ed & gdl use, but then again I would have suits made up of horse blankets so YMMV.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

As used in this thread, deny.
In normal English usage, there is nothing about it that is in poor taste or that isn't in good taste. It is just not a particularly inspired riff on or careful implementation of classic themes.

:( i thought it was awesome. maybe my pic was too small. also, the black tie is cashmere, and it has a really nice texture that is not showing in these pics.

ah well, maybe next time. thanks for replying though.

Last edited:

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is awesome Fred! Who makes the tie?

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Disclaimer*

*no ****

I have resolved to adopt a gdlesque approach to MC. He is the single-most person who not only dresses well but also incorporates a pcock attitude while conforming to a corporate-mandated standard. It should be noted that I will forgo the brolick watch thing. I will find the PRL equivalents to the Drake's ties he wears (because I'm not spending no more than $50 on a tie) and keep an eye out for the #awesome odd coats he dons. Images are courtesy of 1. For instance:

For SW&D I will stick to my own thang because son is wildin'.

Take this how you will. I have no regrets.

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^ There really isn't a PRL equivalent to Drakes, Marinella, Holliday & Brown.

H&B is my favorite

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

and keep an eye out for the #awesome odd coats he dons.

Seriously, this. That pic of his closet he posted recently inspired some serious odd-jacket envy.

Come to think of it, based on my questions above, I may just try to ape his patterns when looking for a new jacket :D

sugarbutch

Bearded Prick
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Depends on what kind of tie you're looking for, jrd. I've seen plenty of PRL over the years that's in the same ballpark as the ties NORE quoted.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads