whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Well I more than most differentiate ties for suits v. jackets. With the latter it tends to be only strips, knits and wools for winter and linen for summer. I basically never wear woven or printed silks with jackets and I will always reach for a solid knit over a grenadine.

2. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

I think you need to ditch blue for the tie altogether. You need to seize every opportunity possible to make this outfit more casual if you must keep the jacket. Blue shirt plus sober blue tie is very business-oriented and urban.

3. Manton

Solid green knit would work with that.

4. mafoofan

Yeah, definitely would.

5. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

I lol'ed

6. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Thanks. No, it does not have matching trousers. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable wearing a full suit of light brown glen plaid anyways.

I definitely see the trouser issue. Looking at it, not sure why I picked these trousers this morning, most of my trousers are a more mid grey anyways.

Will give some of these suggestions a try :)

7. mafoofan

What if you take care to qualify that you are a "classy" gentleman?

8. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Thanks Manton and mafoofan. Will definitely go back to the drawing board on this one.

9. mafoofan

Not to pick on you, but this comes up a lot on here. I don't understand the reasoning. If you weren't comfortable wearing a tuxedo, would it make it better to just wear the jacket?

Glen plaid is just not an odd jacket pattern. It can be mitigated with a larger scale, bolder plaid, and an overcheck, but you don't have any of that going on.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012

10. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

The light brown, especially in a pattern like that, seems very country to me, and wearing a full suit of that, especially in the city, seems a bit loud to me. Grey glen plaid? Love it, would definitely wear a suit of that. Not sure about brown though.

I didn't see this coat as looking so orphaned--to me, the light brown plaid definitely looks like an odd jacket pattern. However, I do totally see what you mean about the mixing of country and city. Definitely room for improvement on this.

11. Manton

As a general matter, I prefer plaids for jackets to be larger in scale, louder in color, and that the jacket have some casual detailing like patch pockets and double edge stitching.

12. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

For what it's worth, I actually do too. However, I haven't been at this too long, so I'm mostly still making do with what I have and plotting my next acquisitions :)

13. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Then you might be rom burgundy.

Can someone confirm or deny the good taste of my fit today? Kthnx.

14. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

First Manton took on windowpane odd jackets, now Foo is waging war on glen plaid. Solid grays are right out, of course. We're making noobs' lives easier by process of elimination.

I'd agree that there are glen plaids that are obviously suiting. But these are mostly blue or gray and sedate. Brown glenplaid is, as always, a casual cloth. The case for it being primarily a suiting -- such as it is -- dates from a time when brown plaid suits were casualwear. These days, a sportcoat isn't all that casual, and the brown plaid suit is #menswear. Even now, after the peacocks have overrun the farm, it is far more common to see brown glen plaid as a sportcoat than a suit. Which makes sense when you consider the casual nature of the cloth. As such, I feel absolutely comfortable with the idea of glen plaid sportcoats.

If a glen plaid looks too much like a suiting to be a sportcoat, that's a property of the specific cloth rather than the pattern as a whole.

15. Manton

Doc, even if it's brown, if a plaid is small scale, really distinc and not fuzzy, the wool is clear cut worsted, it's a suiting. I am thinking off the top of my head of the lovely brown plaid in Lesser tropical, which I would never recommend as a jacket.

Then configure it flap/welt with an invisible picked edge and it's REALLY a suit coat.