whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Badandy

Badandy Senior member

Watch out guys, we've got a badass over here.

2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Bearded Prick Dubiously Honored

Yes, I said "where" when I meant "wear." Suck it, Stitchy!

3. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

:laugh:

4. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Had to put him on mine.

5. dcg

dcg Senior member

What, exactly, is to be gained by telling someone you're blocking them? It seems doubtful that anyone is going to change their online behavior based upon this information. Do people gain some sort of cunty self-satisfaction by letting others know that they will no longer be reading their posts? If you find it necessary to block someone, why not just do so and be on your way?

I don't understand the point of a block list to begin with. The world is full of people with whom you will disagree, and yet be forced to interact. SF is no different. If you are unable to deal with this on an internet forum, how on earth do you manage in real life?

6. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Awesome! Welcome back SF.

7. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Trousers are charcoal flannel, shirt light blue. I added a simple folded white pocket square before I ran out the door.

Ignore the mess in the background :)

Suggestions for improvements? I normally wouldn't wear french cuffs with a SC like this, but I have a dearth of solid blue dress shirts at the moment, and my solid blue barrel cuff is dirty.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012

8. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

Glad are cool, bro. :)

Back to moar tastiness!!

gdl, yes this is a white shirt and odd jacket, please not to go into cardiac arrest. ;)

[​IMG]

9. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

It's funny because when I typed that Agnelli was the first exception I thought of.

When I think CBD I think American or British CBD. The culture, mentality and flare of Italians, even the most industrious, leaves them on the periphery of CBD, at least in my mind. While Agnelli is no doubt impeccably dressed and a style icon, I just don't think of him in a traditional business attire sense; that is to say, he was dressing for himself, and not the board. Again, as SB pointed out, titans can make their own rules.

10. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

:lol:

11. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

This fails the test of good taste--largely on the grounds of confused formality and context. You mention the French cuffs, but really they aren't the issue. They can be worn with odd jackets just fine. The real problem is everything else. Each of your jacket, trousers and tie look like they belong with a suit. Sure, you can argue that the light brown glen plaid of your jacket connotes a casual air, but it is nonetheless a pattern typically reserved for a full suit, albeit a more countrified one. The lack of other casualizing features doesn't help (no patch pockets, no double stitching, etc.). Charcoal odd trousers are odd because the color, again, is far more typical of a city suit. The tie is not as huge an error, but it does lean heavily toward the more business formal side of things and so doesn't improve the situation.

Beyond all that, the colors also don't work because the outfit is too blocked out; there is no visual synergy between any of the three "regions" (shirt/tie, jacket, pants). One easy improvement would be to change the tie for something not blue.

12. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Fair enough. Would lighter grey trousers have worked better?

What would you suggest that I pair with this jacket to bring it together better?

13. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

trousers are definitely too dark. I don't mind the blueness of the tie, I just think the mini dot pattern is too "suity"

14. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Thanks. Can definitely see the issue with the mini dots. Would a larger dot pattern have worked better? Or something like a solid navy grenadine?

15. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Yes, lighter trousers would help.

Does the jacket have a matching pair of trousers? That would be ideal. I would not wear a glen plaid jacket--particularly a plain, subtle one without an overcheck--on its own. It looks hopelessly orphaned. If you must, you need to add some bolder patterns and more integrated contrast so the outfit doesn't look so flat. You could try a white and light blue butcher stripe shirt, a maroon tie, and a silk or wool pocket square with earthy, autumn colors in it.