1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Patch pockets should be only in the realm of sportcoats or very country-ish fabrics on suits. Patch pockets on worsted is a no-no and I would stay away from 3 patch and just do 2 patch. Patch pockets are inherently more casual than flap/welt and 3 patch on a suit should be for very casual suits only. You'll see talk of a "blazersuit" if you search and its basically Manton's invention of a 3 patch navy suit in a fresco fabric so as to have the jacket available to wear as a sportcoat but I am of the belief that it would look better with a chest welt pocket rather than a patch.

3 people like this.
  2. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Certainly can't go wrong with Ed's advice above, but Wongolini was rocking the hell out of those three-patch suits.

3. Claghorn

Claghorn Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think I was thinking of a 2 patch. The chest pocket would just be normal with the side pockets being patches. Though that might be weird as most (if not all) the jackets I've seen are 3 patch.

4. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Is PG's suit above really worsted? It looks like cotton to me, patch pockets would be OK on that and it's casually accesorized as well...
    Claghorn, there's nothing wrong with 3 patch pockets on a flannel suit, but remember that no matter if it has 2 or 3 of them, that feature will turn the suit into a casual suit, and you should pair it with casual stuff as well.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  5. timotune

timotune Senior member

Looks worsted too me. And I fully understand your point: It is not a really "conservative" suit. I really like this style, though. From the pics I have seen to date, Clag does not work in a super-conservative environment, so he could pull of the the 3 pp suit + the jacket can be worn as a seperate with different pants (or pents, if you have time & nerves).

[​IMG]

6. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

Yeah, I wasn't saying a casual suit is wrong for him; just that he should accesorize it accordingly, just like PG does. It would look great with his wool ties [​IMG]

I would, however, not wear a gray flannel suit coat as an odd jacket, even if it has patch pockets; specially if it's worsted flannel. Blue would be a different story.

1 person likes this.
  7. timotune

timotune Senior member

100% agree

8. forex

forex Senior member

But you did have a few 3 patch pocket sport coats made up in very loud patterns from what I can remember :D

9. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

I thin I have about 4 that way, I'd probably redo 2 of them to 2 patch if I could and going foward, any odd jackets I get will be 2 patch.

One of the things that I hope people get out of all this talk we do here is that nothing is really absolute. I think the best purpose/use of this forum is twofold, to read all the talk of "rules" and whats right/wrong so that you have an understanding of why a tux with patch pockets is wrong and secondly, to see pics of various outfits/cuts etc to get ideas of what may or may not work for you. At the end of the day, given each person's circumstances and needs, they should wear both what they like and what works for them. There is nothing inherently wrong with wearing a 3 patch windowpane worsted suit as long as you have the flair and understand that its inappropriate to wear it to the job interview at IBM/funeral etc.

6 people like this.
  10. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

For gray flannel, I prefer 3 piece SB or 2 piece DB with flap pockets. I think the gray flannel suit is best as a blank canvas to which you have many options so accessorize.

11. ColdEyedPugilist

ColdEyedPugilist Senior member

An important bit of context since I have the same suit tailor as PG (i.e. P Johnson Tailors):

We're in Australia where few and far between (even those in senior management) really give a crap what you wear or don't, let alone a minor detail like patch pockets.

12. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

13. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Nice shirt and jacket, Moo.

2 people like this.
  15. in stitches

16. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Senior member

:D

A Star of David is on there. Normally not visible :wall:

17. TheTukker

TheTukker Senior member

But what's up with gold chain and gold pen though? :confused:

18. in stitches

:fistbump:

19. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

+1 but as long as the revers ain't peaked- that's more flair than I can stomach

20. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Same old, same old. Happy holidays.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
    15 people like this.