1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

whnay.'s good taste thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Manton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

We're on the same page

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

NORE, I think that would look really good if your socks weren't so busy. It clashes with the boldness of the suit.

3. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members

According to my calculations, this thread is about to rise from the sartorial ashes.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. in stitches

in stitches Senior member Moderator

5. Willin

Willin Senior member

Hahaha - I actually saw a young guy this morning with too-loud shoes, etc, and thought to myself "He's definitely on the early arch of the acridsheep SF noob lifecycle." It's a shockingly accurate chart.

I need to spend less time on this forum...

6. rob

rob Senior member

While all the posts here are not elegant, I would cut some slack (or not) based on a distinction on the types of less than elegant posters. That distinction would be those who post to genuinely learn vs. those who post to seek constant approval. That latter gets annoying.

I will now go back to lurking.

Rob

7. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    I'm just here for the cake. I was told there was plenty.

8. Willin

Willin Senior member

The posts I find most frustrating are where people are looking for a critique yet post garrish outfits that don't even come close to the seemingly basic sensibilities of these first 50% of this thread. Adding a neon tie or absurd socks to a fit is blatantly not in good taste. There's no need to post it here.

The most beneficial posts here are from the experts who know what they are doing and describe their rationale.

Of nearly the same benefit are the less experienced posters who are dressed within the bounds of good taste to the best of their abilities. I think most lurkers on this thread fit in this category. The critiques from the experts on these fits are very interesting to read since they pick up on a lot of awry details which we can all work on.

I think this is the consistently best educational thread on this forum that I've seen. After learning from this thread then visiting WAYWRN I realize how clownish a lot of fits even there seem.

Anyway, I'll go back to being a lurking troll now. Good day!

5 people like this.
  9. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

Definitely agree with this.

10. RDiaz

RDiaz Senior member

The rate of replies to such posts has diminished, though. Last few times I posted here I got almost no feedback, which kinda sucks since advice from the guys who post in this thread is really, really useful, and personally I think I've come a long way since I began in the world of coat and tie thanks to this advice. But who knows, perhaps it's just that I still fall into the "garrish outfits" category. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  11. in stitches

agreed.

sadly, this is also true.

12. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

I agree.

The WAYWN thread has really turned into a cesspit of poor fits and mismatched outfits. It's really sad. I'm less affected by bold patterns and colors, in fact, I welcome it if its properly done. So it's not so much about flamboyance and flash, but just plain old poor taste. There used to be WAYWN contributors who could evoke a aura of flare without trespassing the boundaries of good taste. I used to click and save a lot of fits that I found interesting but I've long abandoned that habit. For example, here are some of maomao's fits

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4 people like this.
  13. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

^ maox2 :slayer:

Rare outdoor shot for me as I was crossing the park to meet a few igents for a highly civilized and tasty lunch

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7 people like this.
  14. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

I think a silk tie would've been even better, just to give it greater textural contrast between the suit and tie.

15. MalfordOfLondon

MalfordOfLondon Senior member

16. NORE

NORE Senior member

One thing you have yet to learn is that no matter how great your soapbox speech is and no matter how spot-on your points may be, you will not be taken seriously unless you also are posting pics of yourself to add credulity to your argument.

Good day!

17. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

I can't explain or justify this opinion, but I don't like blue flannel suits. I love blue flannel for odd trousers though. But for a flannel suit, it's solid grey or some kind of PoW for me.

18. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

Great tie, gdl. You don't button your coat when walking?

19. Fred49

Fred49 Senior member

Afternoon Gents
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. in stitches

+ infinity.
    ----
    benjamin and gdl - nothing but tasty tastiness there.

fred - i know red/burgundy/maroon ties do not get much love here, but i like it. i think the maroon + gray is lovely.